Fork quality.

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Si

Fork quality.

Post by Si »

I have a PACE RC36 EvoII fork which is probably about 13 years old now and showing it!

When I bought it it was one of the best of its type available - not quite as light as the early SIDs but lighter than most and a lot more durable than the SIDs. It was on a bike that was used for enduros rather than all out XC racing. It's combination of toughness, lightness and a very nice action made it a pleasure to use.

Now, working on the theory that technology trickles down and becomes cheaper, I suspect that in today's market my old PACE would probably be of a similar quality to a modern lower middle range fork. Would this be right?

Thing is, I'm perfectly happy with the weight/quality of the old PACE, and so when I replace it I don't want to spend big bucks on something that is miles better when a lower range one would do. So, what fork would you recommend to replace it? Ideally 80-100mm travel, with disk mount.
Brucey

Re: Fork quality.

Post by Brucey »

I think you might be surprised; 80-100mm travel and light weight used to mean 'expensive race fork'.

It still does, pretty much.

Many mid-range forks have gotten heavy, and many are not really very good; very obviously built to a price.

Rock Shox Reba is worth a look; not much heavier than a race fork, but a good deal stronger, and reasonably easy to live with.

BTW don't beleive the hype re. seals; they still don't work properly in the wet. Gaiters (deeply untrendy though they are) are still a good idea, either that or very regular stripdowns.

You might find that rebuilding your old fork isn't such a bad idea after all.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Si

Post by Si »

cheers brucey
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

I have the exact same model of fork (and of the same vintage) which saw limited use before the frame to which it was connected broke. The replacement frame had a longer head tube and thus it could not be used. Anyone know where I could get a new steerer tube?
Si

Post by Si »

Have you tried PACE? (assuming they are still going) they seemed to be very helpful back in the day.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they appear to list spare parts including steerers of various flavours here;

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=108

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Have you tried PACE? (assuming they are still going) they seemed to be very helpful back in the day.

Suspension business got bought out by DT Swiss some time ago and moved to Switzerland. Forks meant to be good, but are also eye-wateringly expensive.