Too Darn Hot

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RickH

Re: Too Darn Hot

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:These are my old shoes...
Boiling hot in hot sunshine even though they have mesh panels and (removable) insoles.

They look as though they have about the same amount of mesh as mine, maybe I have cooler feet.

For white, well ventilated (lots of mesh plus a small vent in the sole near the toe) & not too pricey these look as though they might be worth a try.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What about cutting bits of the old shoes out to make your own sandals, failing that some of the high end race/tri shoes are more mesh and a lot lighter which may help
NUKe

Post by rjb »

Or even these from sports direct - http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-rb ... oes-144026
they must have a store near you so you can inspect them first. Be careful because some of there shoes have the Velcro strap closing on the inside which then catches the crank arm when pedalling.
I have a pair that are white all over. They are very well ventilated compared to my previous shoes. Are they cooler - only to the eye :lol: although the extra ventilation does make a difference to comfort.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote:For white, well ventilated (lots of mesh plus a small vent in the sole near the toe) & not too pricey these look as though they might be worth a try.

Rick.
They say "Shimano" on them! :wink:
I would never be seen in those! :wink:

Mind you, they look just the ticket.

BTW,
Just come in from the garden.
I'm so glad I'm not cycling today. Look at our thermometer not five minutes ago.
Outside the front porch, north facing, in the shade.
Thermometer.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

I know that "Keen" do sandals for bikes, I'm not sure if they're spd only though. http://www.keenfootwear.com then visit the "GB" page and it's under "pedalling" I think.
Antan1

Post by Antan1 »

If your feet are hot your not going fast enough to cool them down :D
26 degrees here yesterday, made a nice change to have cooler weather for once.
Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

For years I've worn my cycling shoes one size bigger than my ordinary shoes. I find these more comfortable from the heat point of view.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its always the same, people move to Cornwall and then moan about the weather :lol: . Its usually about the mizzle!

Must be a first!

Three pints in the pub should cure it :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Only one more day of sunshine needed, until they will enforce the long overdue hosepipe ban due to lack of rain.........
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:................Wall-wall sunshine...........Goodness knows how much longer we can have weather like this.............I was out yesterday for a ride in the heat of the day...................my feet were burning hot in the sunshine.............I curtailed my ride.........to go through a tree-lined route for a while to cool them off.............a 50odd mile ride was too much................Is there anything I can do about hot feet - due to hot sunshine?

Mick - c'mon Mick - it's only just stopped raining!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Has anyone with sandals ever suffered from sunburn? :shock:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

7_lives_left wrote:Has anyone with sandals ever suffered from sunburn? :shock:

Yes - and as recently as Monday of this week.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mick F wrote:I'm now asking if using white shoes would be better.

Loose fitting black shoes actually.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10846843
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

7_lives_left wrote:Has anyone with sandals ever suffered from sunburn? :shock:

Yes I've suffered from sunburn a few times in my life and yes I have sandals. Does that answer your question? :wink:
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I assume everyone is referring to hot feet as a result of sun / temperature. (As Mick stated)

However it is well worth "googling" or other search engines, for cyclists hot foot ,you will see some thoughts that might be worth a look.