25mm Paselas.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

25mm Paselas.

Post by JohnW »

Bearing in mind my thread some months ago, about Paselas blowing-out through the sidewalls, and the resulting posts which suggested that there could be a serious problem with 28mm Paselas, I hesitated for a while before putting this thread on the Forum.

However - has anyone had, or does anyone know anyone who has had, a problem with the new 25mm Pasela PTs simply lifting off the rim?
boris

Re: 25mm Paselas.

Post by boris »

collecting a lot of gossip focused on one particular tyre does not make a case against it at all without comparative data.
You seem to have a particular hate for paselas, which are a big seller and probably no worse at failing than other comparatively light and flexible tyres.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

No, no, no, no, no Boris - you've got me wrong. Very wrong. I have a liking for Paselas. If you read my earlier thread about Paselas you'd see that it was about defects with the 28mm Paselas - and that experiences reported by many cyclists suggested doubts about them. You'd also have read that I had for years used Pasela TGs exclusively, being as puncture resistant as any other tyres,responsive, lively and comfortable - as good in all those respects as anything I'd ridden - and better than several. You'd also have read of my disappointment at having the troubles, and not really knowing which tyres to choose subsequently.

For the record, and to invalidate your suggestion, I have since fitted 23mm Paselas to one bike, and bought a pair of 25mm Paselas for another bike, which will shortly need it's existing 25mm Paselas replacing - on account of being worn out.

I shan't ever use 28mm Paselas again - because I believe, rightly or wrongly, that they have an inherent problem. If you read the previous thread, you'll see that several others think the same - and thought so before I'd reported my problems with them.

My question about the 25mm Pasela PT's (they have upgraded puncture resistance from the previous TGs) was simply a question, and generated by an incident the other day, when a cycling colleague's tyre had simply lifted off his rim and the tube had burst with spectacular audible results. The tyre had been fitted in a bike shop, and had done 20 miles at the most. We could see nothing amiss with either the tyre or the rim. I put the tyre back on myself and I can assure you that it was seated and centered properly but it came off again 5 miles later. The dealer replaced the tyre free of charge with a 23mm Pasela, which completed 30 miles on the following day. Facts, not "Gossip"

I asked a simple question. The reason why I asked the question - rather than relating the details - was that I was conscious of the previous thread, and I didn't want to be accused of waging a vendetta against the brand. It would only start "gossip". This thread would probably have ended with my initial post - it is your accusation of "gossip" which has precipitated this response and further attention to the previous thread. Boris - re-read the previous thread, see what other people have posted, make your own conclusion, but please don't misunderstand me, and please don't misrepresent me.

My hunch is that the rim and tyre were incompatible - it was a 20mm tyre that had been on it previously. The rim hadn't had problems previously, so was the tyre wrong for the rim?

I have no hatred for Pasels per se, I continue to buy and ride them - but I've no confidence in the 28mm versions. Reading the previous thread will explain why.

But the FACT is that I'm still buying Paselas.

Again for the record, for 28mm tyres over the last winter I used Gatorskins and Vittoria Randonneurs. Neither are worn out yet, but both have proved as comfortable as the Paselas. The Gatorskins are, I'd say, just about as lively. I have not found them as puncture resistant, but can you judge on one tyre of one pair? The manufacturer's advice given with respect to pressures is, however, much more comprehensive and helpful with the Gatorskins.

The Vittorias run at lower pressure which probably contributes to the significant drag that I feel from them, but they are certainly as comfortable as the Paseals. No punctures at all with the Vittorias.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I wonder if Panaracer are not consistent with their bead diameters? I had some 32mm Pasella TG's which were a b1tch to get on or off the rims - Marathon+ were a doddle in comparison.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

johnmac wrote:I wonder if Panaracer are not consistent with their bead diameters? I had some 32mm Pasella TG's which were a b1tch to get on or off the rims - Marathon+ were a doddle in comparison.

I've never had 31mm Paselas, and so far I've not had the problem you mention with any of the other sizes.
TwoWheelsGood

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

25mm is a sizeable 25% increase from the previous 20mm so it's possible that the tyre may have been too big for the rim especially given its flexible sidewalls.

As for any problems relating to the previous 28mm Pasela tyre, bear in mind that they may not exist with either the newly upgraded PT model or with the white version of the same tyre. I'm thinking of trying the 28mm tyre myself sometime because it's a good performer as well as being good looking. (I've had a good experience with the 32mm TG tyre.)
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

I`ve never had any problem with Pasela 28mm and I`ve been using them for a number of years. In fact I`m just going to order some Pasela 32mm.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

TwoWheelsGood wrote:25mm is a sizeable 25% increase from the previous 20mm so it's possible that the tyre may have been too big for the rim especially given its flexible sidewalls.

As for any problems relating to the previous 28mm Pasela tyre, bear in mind that they may not exist with either the newly upgraded PT model or with the white version of the same tyre. I'm thinking of trying the 28mm tyre myself sometime because it's a good performer as well as being good looking. (I've had a good experience with the 32mm TG tyre.)

Yes - you'll see from above that my hunch is that the tyre and the rim may not be compatible - there are rules for calculation, but I've not progressed to checking that way. The guy to whom this happened, and has had the 25mm tyre replaced with a 23mm Pasela has now done over 100 miles on the 23mm and all is well. 100 miles is no distance of course, but Personally, I'm sure that it's ok now.

I have a pair of 23mm whitewall Paselas - I really like tham. It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that they're a bit more robust then the standard amberwall/black tread.