My New Dilemma

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikepacker

My New Dilemma

Post by bikepacker »

Over the last few years my family have become more concerned over me going cycle camping. They have two dreads, the load I carry and being on my own in remote places. Neither of these are concerns to me. In order to pacify them, over the last 10 years I have repeatedly said I would only continue cycle camping until I was 70. Some of you may have heard me say this. Now I have reached this age I am now being reminded of my pledge.

My dilemma is do I stop cycle camping and please them, or do I continue and break my word? I would add that they are all happy for me to continue cycle touring but carrying a lighter load and using; Hotels, Hostels or similar for my overnight accommodation.

Your thoughts please.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
cycleruk

Re: My New Dilemma

Post by cycleruk »

70 is the new 60 tell them. :wink: and you only live once. (that we know of?)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You do a lot of miles, you are sure to come unstuck sometime, you probably already have. The biggest risk is on the road not on a campsite. I cannot see how camping puts you at substantially more risk. It's your decision not theirs, follow your own instincts that will tell you when to pack it in. If you listened to the average Joe they would tell you cycling is dodgy...its rubbish.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ant

Post by Ant »

Politely ask your family to highlight recorded cases of attacks on lone campers in the UK...
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I would think that the family are mainly concerned if something happened and there was no one else there to assist.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If it is the heavy loads that concern them, encourage them to celebrate your 70th by buy you a lot of nice new lightweight camping gear! On a more serious note, as others have said it is up to you. If you still enjoy cycle camping why stop? Make the most of things while you can.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Tell them you are happy for them to come cycling with you to put their fears at rest...
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

We all say foolish things when we're young and end up having to eat humble pie and disavow them later. :oops: Face up to it: as a callow youth of 60 or 65 you made a rash commitment based on too little evidence. How were you to know what you would be like at 70? Based on my experience working in a hospital intensive care unit, it appears you are a good deal more fit than many 70 (or 60, or even 50) year olds. Now that you're approaching 70 you are beginning to know what you are like at that age. Now you are better-equipped to decide what is good for you to do at 70. Besides that, cycling with a heavy load, camping, and doing the things that make you joyful will in all probability extend your life.

Another thing I've learned from my work setting is that the important thing is not how many days you have in your life, but how much life you have in your days.

Carpe diem! :D
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Your life expectancy is much greater if you stay physically active and have interests that engage you than if you sit at home getting bored. If they are concerned about you being alone and not being found in time if something happens then either one or more of them could come with you or they could buy you one of these
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Do what you can, while you can. You don't get any second chances in life.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Cost doesn't enter into it, if I stayed in 5 star hotels every night someone would come up with the funds. Also I intend to continue cycle touring and there is no objection to that. Lightening loads below what I now carry would not be for me, over the years I have experimented with many different ways of cutting weight. Most were found to be unsatifactory.

I do enjoy my cycle camping but on long moving on tours, the constant packing up, cycling on, and then pitching again at the end of the day. has started to take it's toll. And they know it that is why they want me to give up the camping.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As cycleruk I assume some of their concerns are being in remote areas and you becoming ill/or worse and no one finding you for sometime.... A friend got to the stage where his wife preferred him to be in company if he was cycle camping to remote parts of Scotland... something that did work for him as a long term/founder member of RSF he still had some contemporaries who were only too glad to go off with him.
I guess life does catch up eventually and as you say, the pack up / unpack every day is telling .... maybe alternate with hotel/B&B some days and do an ET (phone home every day..) make sure family know where you headed daily so if the phone call does not come they have some idea of where to send search parties... have some sort of agreement as to how long over due that phone call might be before they raise people.

And remember we have people who live in our streets who become ill and die alone and can be days before they are found... so the remoteness of the area does not necessarily play a part in this at all.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

As others have said I would carry on until you feel unable to do it yourself. I am sure your body will tell you when that time is and then convert to hotel touring for as long as you can. It can be quite pleasant, I did a week in France like that last year and it was great. Wished I'd camped though cos the weather was glorious!!

Although not quite seventy I always travel on my own. I had a bad crash in Spain a couple of years back and despite being on my own the locals couldn't have been more helpful. The hospital was quite surprised 1 that there was no one in the country who could come to sort me out!! and 2 that I had no accommodation at all as I was still looking for a camp site but nonetheless they sorted me out, kept me in overnight and then sent me in a taxi to the police station to collect the remains of my bike and belongings. Having someone else with me would have made very little difference in my view.
jags

Post by jags »

Bikepacker your the fittest strongest 70 year old i've ever come across and thats the truth,who am i to be telling the priest his prayers. but a change is as good as a rest, you've giving me plenty of great advice in the past so i will try and land this idea on you. cut your load in half pick a campsite that you really love and make it your base for the week explore the area chill out you know it makes sense,what ever you do do not give up your passion just change it :wink:
best of luck in your decision and remember if you do give it up (dont) i'm in line for that tent. :D
broadway

Post by broadway »

bikepacker wrote:I do enjoy my cycle camping but on long moving on tours, the constant packing up, cycling on, and then pitching again at the end of the day. has started to take it's toll. And they know it that is why they want me to give up the camping.

I not going to give suggestions, but if the long moving on tours are the problem why not think how you can address that?