....why this doesn't take panniers...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: ....why this doesn't take panniers...?

Post by Brucey »

IrishBill76 wrote:That's a nice shade of green. *cough* someone pass the sick bucket :P

it is most likely too late for that... could be how it wound up that colour...? :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
niggle

Post by niggle »

Probably not what the OP is looking for, it even has cantilever brakes, but I like this use of the Alfine 8:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Journ ... tAod8wkAGQ
fatoldman

Post by fatoldman »

I would ask the EBC guy to dig out a disc specific rack from stores and prove that it doesn't fit. The photo certainly looks like there are fitting points suitable for a disc-specific rack. The reason that I'd challenge the shop guy is that, when I bought my Whyte Charing Cross there, I was told by an EBC guy that it wouldn't take a rack. I asked "are you sure?" "Yes" he said and he went on to demonstrate this by placing a standard rack against the frame and pointing out that the posts of the rack would interfere with the operation of the disc brake. I asked if the rack was for disc brakes and he said "they are all the same - you just pull the legs apart before you fit the rack and maybe put a couple of washers between the frame and the rack for spacing". Hmmm. I took my bike to another shop and was sold a very nice (Bontrager) disc specific rack which was no trouble to fit and works great. There are some very knowledgeable staff in my local EBC but there also some who lack knowledge (or interest?). Good luck.
If there was a pessimism competition, I probably wouldn't qualify.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The Ridgeback in the post above is what I am currently riding to work (hilly 20 mile round trip in all weathers). It is just about perfect for the task. It is fast, comfy, has good quality tyres, a rack with a lifetime guarantee, mudguards and even has a seat stay mounted pump as standard! It also has forward facing dropouts which make rear wheel removal relatively painless. The brakes are very effective too, not as good as the hydraulic disks that I am used to, but perfectly safe all the same.

At the reduced price linked to it's a good deal if you fit a 58cm or 60cm frame...

(Although I accept it isn't as "sexy" as the Revolution, or my old mixer for that matter, but it certainly is better...)
niggle

Post by niggle »

52cm and 58cm here for even less:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B5165.html
Ant

Post by Ant »

Wow, that's almost as cheap as I got mine for! What a bargain...
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

niggle wrote:52cm and 58cm here for even less:

Cheers for the link - Just placed an order for one!
niggle

Post by niggle »

mrh3113 wrote:
niggle wrote:52cm and 58cm here for even less:

Cheers for the link - Just placed an order for one!

I feel I should get some commission from the shop :D

Hope you like it, I would be tempted but am part way through building up a dérailleur geared tourer. The Journey should make a brilliant commuter and general do anything bike as well as competent tourer IMO.

I am using a Carrera Subway 8 with the Nexus 8 hub and roller brakes for commuting, trail riding and general short distance all weather duties. It is fabulously reliable and low maintenance but is not as good as a drop bar touring bike for performance and lacks comfort if shod with tyres under 1.6"/40mm. Hopefully the Journey is a bit lighter as well, I think the roller brakes add a fair bit to the Subway's weight as well as being underwhelming in the stopping department, particularly at the front.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I second that, it's a great bike and you've really got yourself a bargain there.
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

Well - I got one....... and didn't like it :( - just one of those things I guess.

As far as I can work out I got the right frame size 58cm (I'm 6ft tall) but I didn't find the riding position any more comfortable than my Secteur Elite - if anything I found it more of a reach, after several adjustments.

Although the idea of the Alfine hub appealed, in practice I wasn't keen. Although I wasn't expecting the range of the compact double I have on the Secteur, I found it spun out easily at the top end on even a very gentle descent. The bottom end was just about ok but the whole thing just seemed very sluggish, like cycling through treacle - more so than I expected sadly. There's no doubt it felt like a quality bit of kit, and pedalling on the flat it was like a limo. I'm guessing this is just the way it is with bikes focussed on touring and I have been a bit spoiled by the Secteur in how lively yet composed it feels - which actually seems a better compromise than perhaps I gave it credit for in the first place. Looks like a large saddle bag could be the way forwards....

Thanks for all the advice - just goes to show, no matter what ideas you get in your head about what you want and might suit you, always worth trying before you buy....
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Give it some more time maybe.

You say you found the fit more of a reach than your other bike. Looking a the web pic, I'd say the stem is quite long. If you buy a bike with the right stem, you're fairly lucky. So I'd be considering a stem change, maybe flipped upwards.

The sluggish ride could be partly down to the tyres, so consider something more supple in carcass (eg, marathon racer). But it's never going to be a speedy bike, if you compare it to your road bike. Get the fit right though, and you'll get the power to the pedal more comfortably and efficiently.