Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
StellaLdn.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by StellaLdn. »

14 enthusiasts! Wow! For next year, giving that my living circumstances don't change, I'd be happy to offer someone to stay with me. If you're happy to share a double air bed, I could accommodate two (a couple, perhaps?)

Northern event in York: fine as I could stay with friends; they've been asking when I'm coming for a while. But it's hilly there, isn't it? Better get my skates on and cycle up Crouch Hill and Highgate to train.

Incidentally, I've signed up for the Prudential Ride in London the weekend 3/4 August. Not the 100 race, but the led tour from Crouch End. It's only 7 miles, but gotta start somewhere, right? At least I can't get lost on it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

StellaLdn. wrote:Incidentally, I've signed up for the Prudential Ride in London the weekend 3/4 August. Not the 100 race, but the led tour from Crouch End. It's only 7 miles, but gotta start somewhere, right? At least I can't get lost on it.

I've also signed up to marshal the Pru Ride. I did it a couple of times when it was the Sky Ride and it was good fun, even when wet. Interesting to ride London Streets temporarily blocked off from all motorised traffic.

Perhaps we could have a Viscount contingent there? I will certainly be riding a Viscount (or Lambert) - which one depends on the weather!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Oh, yes! That would be a great idea. Since I only own Viscount bikes, apart from the MTB, I'll definitely ride a Viscount. Hope Shawn will be finished with repairs, etc. till then. Otherwise I'll ride the Sprint.
-- Confucius

triitout

Post by triitout »

To paraphrase our ex-Presidential candidate George Romney, we have "binders full of Viscounts" :lol: :lol:
Excellent job everyone!
DannytheLuddite

Post by DannytheLuddite »

Cusqueno wrote:
StellaLdn. wrote:Incidentally, I've signed up for the Prudential Ride in London the weekend 3/4 August. Not the 100 race, but the led tour from Crouch End. It's only 7 miles, but gotta start somewhere, right? At least I can't get lost on it.

I've also signed up to marshal the Pru Ride. I did it a couple of times when it was the Sky Ride and it was good fun, even when wet. Interesting to ride London Streets temporarily blocked off from all motorised traffic.

Perhaps we could have a Viscount contingent there? I will certainly be riding a Viscount (or Lambert) - which one depends on the weather!

I intend to be there on the Aerospace Sport. I've done the Sky Ride three times. It's hardly ideal for cycling, but I love riding in Central London with zero motor traffic!
AerospaceSE

Post by AerospaceSE »

Congratulations to busaste - clearly the first Death Fork Rally was a great success, and I hope I get to the second and meet everyone. Nice to see the weather play fair and great pictures and postings about the event. Amazing to see this at over 100+ pages now, it has turned into a work of reference from a posting on a small topic!
jankdc

Post by jankdc »

Story about the local bike shop where I got my frame. With a quote from me:

Cleveland vintage bike shop a hit with baby boomers reliving their youth (slideshow and video)
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Hi All,
A few things.

Well, I posted up the Rally short film to YouTube and hope that those who haven't got back are ok with it.
I must say that I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing (the Viscount gathering), and then so overawed by the heat that the quality and quantity of the footage was meagre.

If I was doing it again, I'd get loads of better shots I am sure.
In my mind I can imagine a low shot of all the bikes coming round a corner with the sun shining on them, then everyone streaming out of the car park to start the ride.
Then an interview with owners telling their stories about their bike (which I mostly did but I didn't think to film it- it was fascinating)

I would love to film the bikes in close up and have owners going through their components etc.
Someone in a previous post said that a rider had a camera on their bars? If thats the case, then I'd love to see it.
I somehow feel this was a missed opportunity for a spot of cataloguing on my part- but at least we have something and I will be wiser next time.

Here it is
http://youtu.be/kcNl_dpybF0

Hope you enjoy it!
Last edited by Sooper8 on 8 Jul 2013, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Good job I'd say Jem, nice panning and pretty steady.
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Sooper8 wrote:Hi All,
A few things.

Well, I posted up the Rally short film to YouTube and hope that those who haven't got back are ok with it.
I must say that I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing (the Viscount gathering), and then so overawed by the heat that the quality and quantity of the footage was meagre.

If I was doing it again, I'd get loads of better shots I am sure.
In my mind I can imagine a low shot of all the bikes coming round a corner with the sun shining on them, then everyone streaming out of the car park to start the ride.
Then an interview with owners telling their stories about their bike (which I mostly did but I didn't think to film it- it was fascinating)

I would love to film the bikes in close up and have owners going through their components etc.
Someone in a previous post said that a rider had a camera on their bars? If thats the case, then I'd love to see it.
I somehow feel this was a missed opportunity for a spot of cataloguing on my part- but at least we have something and I will be wiser next time.

Here it is
http://youtu.be/kcNl_dpybF0

Hope you enjoy it!

LOVE IT!!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Jem: very suitable song. Wise choice; Bowie's my absolute top favourite singer.

Love the video, nice work.
-- Confucius

sprockit

Post by sprockit »

Lots of great pictures of the Death Fork Rally from everyone, and a nice 'short film' from Sooper 8 - does this mean that there's a longer film to come? I hope so!!!
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Ooooh tempting:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/still ... 79/gallery

I'm thinking of buying a city / shopping bike, but following the Death Fork Rally am wondering if I could press an old Viscount into service with a rack and flat bars. This might be an ideal base, would be nice to rescue one of the less glamorous models as well.

Edit: That was just the first on Gumtree, there is quite a choice. Also, tempted to put a modern hub gear on....

What do the collective think?
Last edited by Whippet on 8 Jul 2013, 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Whippet wrote:Ooooh tempting:

I'm thinking of buying a city / shopping bike, but following the Death Fork Rally am wondering if I could press an old Viscount into service with a rack and flat bars. This might be an ideal base, would be nice to rescue one of the less glamorous models as well.

The link isn't working for me. If it's the Exeter one I'm supposed to be going to look at it tomorrow!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:Ooooh tempting:

That's got your name all over it for a 'work horse' of a bike!
Go for it!