Yorkshire TdF stages backlash starts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Yorkshire TdF stages backlash starts

Post by JohnW »

Mark1978 wrote:.........the Yorkshire team didn't have a good plan. They haven't got long to get it sorted. I was distinctly unimpressed by the 'cultural events' they were supposedly organising.

...............should've had the start in County Durham then............. :lol:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

thirdcrank wrote:And there was me thinking that Rodders had been appointed for his sporting nous. I'd not realised he was a cultural guru as well. So, it sounds as though the tripe tasting is out of the window and in with the black puddings. :lol:

I dunno, I would imagine (knowing nothing of such things) that's it's not unusual that the bid team is not the same as the delivery team; entirely different skill sets required.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

He's hardly an unknown around here because of his rugby background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Wal ... gby_league)

Memo to Downing Street - that's rugby as in Rugby League. Eddy Waring, whippets, cloth caps..... 'Ull Kingston Rovers.
thirdcrank

Yorkshire TdF stages backlash continues

Post by thirdcrank »

"Concerns are being expressed" about the cost to Sheffield ratepayers of the York -Sheffield stage in 2014

A report to approve the funding will be considered by the council's cabinet at a meeting next Wednesday

And if they don't approve it? :?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-24450642

(Edited to reinstate a bit I managed to omit when posting originally)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 9 Oct 2013, 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

O.K. - TdF is in Yorkshire.
La Vuelta has stages in France.
Where is the next Tour of Britain due to be held? Belgium? Portugal? Greece?

Geographically confused.

LGC
beetroot

Post by beetroot »

LittleGreyCat wrote:O.K. - TdF is in Yorkshire.

Geographically confused.

LGC

Wherever they can make money
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Geographically confused.

LGC

I'm still wishing for £1 everyone posted that. No need for a lottery win.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Geographically confused.

LGC

Not forgetting the 2014 Giro d'Italia starting in Ireland :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I live near box hill which was a key part of the Olympic road race. We are still getting a backlash from the anti cycling brigade. The trouble is a minority that insist riding three or four abreast and abusing anyone who objects is not helping.
I wonder if Strava GPS logging is adding to the problem as people race for a time up the hill and carve up other road users.
Personally I am loving the increased cycling interest but people like the parish council and local politicians are activly seeking to reduce the cycling events and interest in the area so I guess the same will happen anywhere.
I will stick to the less used lanes in surrey and avoid the honey pot areas.
mjr

Post by mjr »

roberts8 wrote:I live near box hill [...] Personally I am loving the increased cycling interest but people like the parish council and local politicians are activly seeking to reduce the cycling events and interest in the area so I guess the same will happen anywhere.

Not necessarily. Are you telling the parish council and local politicians how much you are loving the increased cycling interest and how great they were for getting so many events there? If not, please do. So often, most people who turn up to speak publicly at council meetings are complaining - it's really memorable when your council is praised (says I, struggling to remember more than two people praising the parish council I sat on for a few years).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have praised the increase to the parish councillors and politicians at a recent bye election.
I explained how the rolling road closure for the Tour of Britain worked and was a real success with traffic being held up for less than 20minutes. They were surprised and at least took note so you are correct to say we must mention the positive aspects.
The main moan this year were day long road closure for the Ride London event which I must say was ridiculous and hopefully will improve next year.
Taking your point, I will contact then to comment on how it could have been better.

Thanks
mjr

Post by mjr »

Great. Find out when the meeting is and turn up in person for maximum impact - in much of the country, you'll be the only non-councillor in the room! (Hopefully yours is one of the good ones which lets the public speak first and then wander off when they need to be elsewhere...)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

roberts8 wrote:I have praised the increase to the parish councillors and politicians at a recent bye election.
I explained how the rolling road closure for the Tour of Britain worked and was a real success with traffic being held up for less than 20minutes. They were surprised and at least took note so you are correct to say we must mention the positive aspects.
The main moan this year were day long road closure for the Ride London event which I must say was ridiculous and hopefully will improve next year.
Taking your point, I will contact then to comment on how it could have been better.

Thanks

Man, Ride London is ONE DAY, the other 364 (more if it's a leap year) the roads are open.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's worse than I thought. My wife went to see a bunch of her chums in Bradford yesterday and the talk turned to the major long-term roadworks in Saltaire.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _Saltaire/

One of those present announced that her son had told her that the works had been demanded by the organisers of the TdeF. From the subsequent conversation, it appeared that this was the generally accepted explanation for the disruption. For those unfamiliar with next year's route and /or Yorkshire, the race will not be using the road in question.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26442885

Lack of road repairs across Yorkshire is now being blamed on preparations for the TdeF :roll: