Clueless about clipless

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LondonBikeCommuter

Clueless about clipless

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

My bike didn't come with pedals so the shop put some cheap generic ones on till i made the decision as to which clipless pair to buy/use.

The time has come to make that decision and I'm still none the wiser about which system to go for.

During the week I commute in London approx. 17 miles a day and most weekends especially during the summer and good weather I'll do long 'fast touring' rides i.e. down to Brighton or a long Oxford loop.

Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Vorpal

Re: Clueless about clipless

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
clanton

Post by clanton »

First question is "should I go clipless?" and the link above will get you very nicely confused about that.

If you do in fact decide to go clipless (and I never ride without clipless pedals) there are a few different options.
For touring most people use MTB shoes and pedals as you can walk in them
Options within this are Shimano, Time, CrankBrothers types.
Shimano make a double sided (ie clipless and non clipless type) which ay be the best of both worlds.
I use Time.
LondonBikeCommuter

Vorpal wrote:http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46706&hilit=+clipless

Just skimming that has made my head hurt!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you leave home and go for a ride, then get home ...... or go from A to B without wanting to go for walks, the best thing you can do is use clipless road pedals. Loads of support, light and simple.
Mick F. Cornwall
LondonBikeCommuter

clanton wrote:If you do in fact decide to go clipless (and I never ride without clipless pedals) there are a few different options.

correct me if I'm wrong but are there 2/3? types of clips which would be the first decision. SO if I went with a Shimano double sided pedals I couldn't use a Look? KEO? clip less shoe (who don't do double sided)
LondonBikeCommuter

Mick F wrote:If you leave home and go for a ride, then get home ...... or go from A to B without wanting to go for walks, the best thing you can do is use clipless road pedals. Loads of support, light and simple.

which model would you recommend?
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Over the years I've found I am only comfortable in SPD-SL road style cleats/pedals. Yeah the shoes aren't great for walking in but I much prefer the connection. It makes no difference to me, the walking aspect. When commuting I keep other shoes in my locker, and when touring or leisure riding I'll take a light pair of trainers or camvas shoes with me in case I want a walk around. For cafe stops I just make do. Might be a case of trial and error for you. It's not all about practicality.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good question.
I bought Campagnolo when they did a whole range of them. Since I bought them, the only ones they do are the expensive Record version and they'll set you back £175 or so! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I were to buy new road pedals now, I may go for Look.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... edals/peda
Mick F. Cornwall
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You want shimano A530 pedals or something similar. These are the spd system and are eminently suitable for the type of riding you have described. You can get SPD shoes in a wide variety of styles, from looking like trainers to natty road shoes. The A530 pedals allow you to ride with normal shoes on one side and clipless on the other.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

MTB or Road clipless?

Road clipless have large cleats that have a big contact area, and hence generally a more stable pedalling platform and no problems with feeling the cleat through the sole.
They are almost all single-sided, and a little slower to clip into.
You can't usefully walk in them. If you arrive at a cafe in a party with mixed pedal systems, the road pedal users will be at the back of the queue.

MTB clipless allow you to walk normally, even up to several miles hiking.
Shoes vary from ones with flexible soles that are better for walking up to completely rigid that prevent you feeling the cleat through the sole.
Foot stability depends on the shoe/pedal interface, and you can get a bit of side to side rocking with worn soles.
Pedals vary from regular double sided (or even 4 sided with the Eggbeater) for quick clip-in, single sided for less weight, clip-side/flat-side for use with normal shoes or boots as well.
With Shimano, you can get regular twist out cleats or multi-release cleats that will let go on a panicked heave. On the other hand, they will also let go if you start heaving on the back pedal because you are in too high a gear on a steep hill.

Weight and float are not generally different between road and MTB. With both you can get suitable pedals to match what you want.

As for a recommendation, I'll suggest Shimano SPD-M530.
Double-sided MTB-style, with a decent sized platform for foot support, and not too expensive.
LondonBikeCommuter

freeflow wrote:You want shimano A530 pedals or something similar. These are the spd system and are eminently suitable for the type of riding you have described.

yes seems like SPD system is getting most peoples vote. Are there varing systems with in SPD i.e SPD-SL and SPD M530?
LondonBikeCommuter

andrew_s wrote:Pedals vary from regular double sided (or even 4 sided with the Eggbeater) for quick clip-in, single sided for less weight, clip-side/flat-side for use with normal shoes or boots as well.

I think I've been offered a 'great deal' on some Eggbeaters which are 'really easy to use' but have been told that they can make your feet go numb?
But SPD looks like the way to go.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LondonBikeCommuter wrote: .... yes seems like SPD system is getting most peoples vote.
That's because you are on the CTC site and not a "roadie" site.

SPDs are more of a touring pedal system or for someone who wants to get off the bike in "normal" shoes.

Personally, I don't get off the bike enroute. I ride to ride my bike, not ride it to go shopping or going to cafes. I get on my bike at home, go for a ride, and get home again. Even when riding long distances, I ride and ride and ride. When I do get off for food stops, I find it no problem at all to walk into pubs/cafes. I have no intention whatsoever to go sightseeing.

Back in the days when I commuted, I rode 17miles each way. I got to work, got cleaned up and changed, did my job, got back into cycling gear, then cycled home. Why would I need to have a training shoe/walking shoe system?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've used quite a few different clipless systems, and ridden for years in clips and straps, too. The pedals are arguably a red herring; you won't be comfortable unless you get shoes that fit well, have soles that are stiff enough for your cycling habits, and are versatile/durable enough to work in everyday use etc too if that is what you want.

Shoes come in different styles; with no cleat provision, LOOK-type road mountings (three bolt, for Look , Campag, SPD-R SPD-SL etc), and/or SPD/eggbeater mountings (two-bolt). A very few shoes come with both types of bolt mounting, but most come with one type. You can convert three-bolt shoes to two-bolt cleats using adapters, and the resultant 'road shoe' is slightly better for walking in, but not as good as a dedicated SPD shoe usually is.

Personally, I can't really see the point in a clipless system that doesn't let you walk if it doesn't also do something else for you, too.

Look, Campag, SPD-SL, Time etc all have the same problem which is that you can't walk in them very well. If you try then the cleats wear out in double quick time, and you may fall over on slippy surfaces (I've seen someone break their leg because of this... :roll: ). Their advocates cite larger support area, freer float, better release.... Hmm, maybe.

The latest generation of SPD pedals offer wider support etc (if that is what you want) and there is a wider range of shoe styles that use this cleat type than any other.

Thus I'd suggest (unless you are a roadie wannabe) that there is probably an SPD shoe/pedal combo out there for you. I did a write-up on different SPD pedals which you can find here;

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66078&hilit=spd+compendium&sid=0ec2055e86d83e9caba8810c8e60116c

Even if you are a roadie wannabe, just before you splash the cash on a roadie clipless setup, just stop and ask yourself what exactly you are gaining over (say) an SPD PD-A520 pedal and (say) an MTB race shoe or a set of Mavic Cyclo Tour shoes. In return for not being able to walk..... :roll:

BTW if you have especially wide feet, or you know you need/desire detailed camber adjustments to the shoe etc, consider speedplay pedals; they come in different pedal spindle lengths, and have a neat shim system that lets you customise the setup without undue difficulty. Whilst you can acheive similar results with other systems (pedal extenders, shims, insoles etc) it isn't as easy and the result isn't necessarily quite as good.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~