Broken Frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Re: Broken Frame

Post by JohnW »

Brucey did say that he'd "name and shame" if the manufacturer didn't respond to him.

It's only a week since that undertaking was given, and these things do take time, especially if the manufacturer is going to inspect the defect.

I've only ever had one query with a frame built for me, and the builder sorted it to my full satisfaction immediately.

Importers on the other hand, I've found obstructive and, shall we say "mistaken" (rather than untruthful) in their response. Mind you, I've only contacted two in all my years of cycling.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

name and shame!!! a chance to redeem themselves!!

To be honest, I think this is MUCH bigger than that. British people like to play the nice guy. But looking at this objectively, is was supposedly a 'quality frame', that presumably has a quality price tag. This is not an unsightly weld, or a bad paint job, this is a fundatmentall design floor, a serious and dangerous one,and extreemly poor workmanship, and as such SHOULD result in a recall, with full refund, before someone ends up on the slab. Obviously the 'retailer' whoose name is on the machine, has no conception of quality control, but i do hope they have good lawyers, ....actually , no I don't. :evil:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yostumpy
Would you not think a recall and refund as redemption?

Is it a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw?
BTW I agree someone could get "floored" as a result :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well, those of you waiting with bated breath will have to hold on a little while yet. Between getting the frame stripped, packing it, and shipping it, it won't have got there yet...

In the meantime, anyone with such a frame will recognise it from the photos and the description. Anyone looking to buy the current model will get a frame of different design, (with a different warranty, too....).

I shall update further when I know what they say.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

it's a hell of a way to somerset too! :D

(just joking......)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

WELL? whats the latest? :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well it is time for an update;

After quite a lot of to-ing and fro-ingthe matter is on the point of resolution.

In brief summary;

-I contacted the manufacturer and supplied details of approximate age, frame number, usage, and my surprise that the frame had been made in the way it had.

-They asked for the frame to be returned (at my cost) for examination/possible warranty replacement.

- Upon receipt they indicated that they would not replace the frame under warranty because it was too old by manufacturing date.

-I enquired why they had not told me this before I had gone to the trouble and expense of shipping it to them. I also pointed out that manufacturing date was one thing, but that date of sale and use was another, and again queried the manufacture of the frame, which seemed 'inconsistent with their brand positioning' shall we say.

-they attempted to argue that I had had 'fair use' from the frame; I refuted this, pointing out that few of the original wear parts had required replacement. Did they expect these wear parts to outlast the frame?

-they had offered a £100 discount on a new bike; I thanked them, but politely declined this, pointing out that I already had the bulk of a largely unworn bike, and just needed to replace a single component that should not have been manufactured in that way to start with.

- The folks who normally deal with warranty issues at this point referred the matter to the company MD.

-After a short wait... they tell me I have a new frame en route, should be here in a few days.

-They have not passed comment on the manufacture of the original frame; in this case silence speaks a thousand words.

Thanks to all who have contributed (including those who PM'd me).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

I can not see why the manufacturer's name has been withheld.
Yma o Hyd
mig

Post by mig »

it's good that you got the new frame.

reading the above few posts though it begs the question as to why the new model frame is of a different design!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:...............They asked for the frame to be returned (at my cost) for examination/possible warranty replacement...............they indicated that they would not replace the frame under warranty...............they attempted to argue...................they...offered a £100 discount on a new bike; I thanked them, but politely declined this...............The folks who normally deal with warranty issues at this point referred the matter to the company MD............... they tell me I have a new frame en route, should be here in a few days...............They have not passed comment on the manufacture of the original frame.................

Thanks to all who have contributed (including those who PM'd me).

cheers

Yeah, but Brucey - who built the frame and who sold it to you?

There's a lot of folks wondering about this.

If you feel bound by decency and honour not to reveal those details, then that's honourable in itself and to be applauded, but please say so, and we'll be off our tenterhooks..................
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Brucey, I can see your dilemma.

They have replaced the frame which is good customer service.

But...............

They did sell you a duff one in the first place - not just unsatisfactory but potentially unsafe.

They did try and fob you off.

Things that would make a difference to me are:

Whether they offered a convincing explanation as to why it happened. There's a big differense between "well we were trying to use up some stock of obsolete components and this seemed like a good wheeze it's a shame we didn't get away with it" and "oh my gawd, it's the only one that we didn't trace from the duff batch our QA process found in 20?? before we tightened everything up"

Did they refund the shipping cost?

If I were you, and I'm not, decision would be between:

I'm pleased enough with their customer service and confident enough in their product that I'd still recommend them to my best friend. So I'll let them grieve in private.

or

I'm not totally happy with them and I think other people should make up their own minds based on the facts. So I feel a responsibility to the audience I've shared those facts to name them so that they can make an informed choice too.
meic

Post by meic »

We have another thread running at the moment about a failed frame.

I think that in that case the manufacturer's name is of interest to people and it is mentioned without any potential problems that I can see.
It is entirely up to the OP as to whether or not they wish to say possibly there is some sort of relationship with the company that is worth retaining. Some companies are known to take criticism very badly.

If my Van Nicholas broke, I would certainly not withhold the company name or feel any reason why I should not post the details of how it was dealt with. In theory.

In practice a local shop ruined my beloved Holdsworth by messing up on the reaming of the headtube and crown, I still have my written instructions to them saved but I am scared to either post their name or tell people locally for fear of getting involved in a conflict.
Yma o Hyd
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi,

Perhaps saying nowt is part of the deal...well I guess you couldn't blame them....

regards m.

PS Meic...sorry to here about the Holdsworth :(
meic

Post by meic »

It was sometime ago and I put it back on the road using loctite thread and bearing adhesive.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

meic wrote:We have another thread running at the moment about a failed frame......................

I've missed that meic - which is it, and where..............please?