Cars parked in cycle lanes.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

Re: Cars parked in cycle lanes.

Post by Si »

Mark1978 wrote:IIRC it's illegal to drive on the footway. But that's all. Being parked on the footway does not constitute evidence of driving on it.

This is the impression that I had. but the other day I noticed, outside Cadbury's, a sign on the pavement telling people that it was illegal to park on the pavement and quoting the relevant legislation. Have to note it down next time and see if the law actually says that.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:And this is the grey area, as how does one get car onto the footway if not by driving :?

Presumably because when a car is parked and empty, you cannot prove who actually drove it onto the footway.

On the subject of parking in cycle lanes, there's one near me where it might as well just be remarked as parking bays, I believe the presence of the cycle lane there makes the situation worse for cyclists, as car drivers would expect cyclists to use it, even though it's impossible.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:On the subject of parking in cycle lanes, there's one near me where it might as well just be remarked as parking bays, I believe the presence of the cycle lane there makes the situation worse for cyclists, as car drivers would expect cyclists to use it, even though it's impossible.

If cyclists are car drivers pet hate, adding cycle lanes, lines us up for even more abuse as they now think that if one exists we should use it primery :(
Even if its blocked, worse surface than the adjacent road and of course running the gauntlet with other path users can be far worse.
I tend to place myself in a primery position when I wish to manouver on the road as I know that its safer than shrinking into the gutter.
I cant be that wrong as have had no horns from cars this year and cant remember the last time either, after 45 years on cycling it must work, most might find my actions frightning but you have to do it that way.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Andyrew K

Post by Andyrew K »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If cyclists are car drivers pet hate, adding cycle lanes, lines us up for even more abuse as they now think that if one exists we should use it primery :(

It isn't just people in cars who think that. This motorcyclist thought it was a good idea to harass and abuse a cyclist for using the road: http://youtu.be/a6sOPE2C-og
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Andyrew K wrote:It isn't just people in cars who think that. This motorcyclist thought it was a good idea to harass and abuse a cyclist for using the road: http://youtu.be/a6sOPE2C-og

What a plonker...

Why he put that video up to show the world what a first class nob he is I've no idea...
(Comments are good though.)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well I rode motorcycles and worked on them and competed in road trials etc etc, and rode LEJOG in a day easy.
But these sort need ID'ing for all road users safety, he's lucky I was not the goofy cyclist :)
Ride like that for long and you will have a short life..............
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

In Bristol 'Cycling City', we not only have cars in cycle lanes, but also on others:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivF9u1XaE4Y
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
People are like sheep they should be rounded up.
What the person who made the video should have done is get into an agument with one of the drivers until he blows off then phone the cops.
Then the police would try and do the cyclist for entrapment :(
You cant win and I would prefer that all the fat cat councilers and MP's never bovered pretending that all this cycle way stuff that is not getting people out on there bikes in the masses had done nothing.

All is not lost though when people start parking on double yellows for the 15 mins that is being bounded around, cycle paths and pavements will be redundant.

Shared cycle paths are now wide enough for all traffic. Parking on shared cycle paths is the last straw :x :x :x
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

gaz wrote:Let us not forget The Vilnius Solution :wink: .

but he brushed all the glass into the cycle lane :shock:
I`m def too old for this!