Soreen

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Soreen

Post by Mick F »

Soreen malt loaf has been described as "rocket fuel" by one or two people on here, and I don't disagree.

They sell a larger loaf for £1 every now and again, but usually the "standard" size is £1.25 or thereabouts.
I've got to the point of refusing to buy the standard loaf at the standard price, and when I see the large loaf for £1, I buy two of them.

Am I being conned?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Re: Soreen

Post by thirdcrank »

I've a good recipe for malt loaf (Delia S IIRC) . I can't imagine Chris Froome would climb as fast with a couple of well-buttered slices in his back pocket but it's satisfying to eat.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Vegan as well (just the banana)!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Bought one of the mega versions in Morrisons t'other day pending a visit from our 3 year old granddaughter.

She loves 'em and the rate she's growing, Mick had better look out. :D
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I look out for the sliced version. The standard is good but I invariably forget my penknife. I did once use a gear cable as a cheese wire on it to good effect!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've got to the point of NOT buying it at the full price for a small loaf, and only buying the bigger loaf at a quid.

You couldn't make one for that price.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

geocycle wrote:I look out for the sliced version. The standard is good but I invariably forget my penknife. I did once use a gear cable as a cheese wire on it to good effect!

What do you need a penknife for? just bite a chunk off, I'll eat it with or without butter. Trouble is once you start it's difficult to put down :oops:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

ferrit worrier wrote:
geocycle wrote:I look out for the sliced version. The standard is good but I invariably forget my penknife. I did once use a gear cable as a cheese wire on it to good effect!

What do you need a penknife for? just bite a chunk off, I'll eat it with or without butter. Trouble is once you start it's difficult to put down :oops:

Malc

The penknife is to kill it first of course! I imagine it is a sort of a vegan relative of the haggis.... I've been down the chunk biting road which works well but there comes a point when it is hard to move your jaw!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've seen it on shelves, but... what is it? And why the allusion to rocket fuel? Is it flammable?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

simonineaston wrote:I've seen it on shelves, but... what is it? And why the allusion to rocket fuel? Is it flammable?

Not sure, but you could probably use it as a tyre boot...
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Coop near my son's had them on 2 for £1 last week. I got a couple.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

simonineaston wrote:I've seen it on shelves, but... what is it? And why the allusion to rocket fuel? Is it flammable?

WHAT is it? goodness me I thought everybody knew what Malt loaf is. Simon, next time you see it on sale grab one and have a chunk thick with butter, tis awesome, I doubt you will be disappointed. (mind you I shouldn't say too much I've only just tried my first Burrito :oops: )

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78922
shouldbeinbed

Post by shouldbeinbed »

or don't bother with the butter, let the wonderful gooey stuff delight and tantalise you with its own flavours unblunted by spreadable additives.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

shouldbeinbed wrote:or don't bother with the butter, let the wonderful gooey stuff delight and tantalise you with its own flavours unblunted by spreadable additives.

Can't argue with that :D :D :D
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I've been a malt loaf addict for many years now, both for cycling and mountaineering and I need to add butter to enable me to lubricate my jaw sufficiently so that I can chew it. Have you tried the Plum loaf? Awesome!