Bus Driver Road Rage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jochta

Bus Driver Road Rage

Post by jochta »

This appeared on twitter today...

http://youtu.be/fp-G2bdt1_4

I'm shocked at the lack of knowledge of the Highway Code by professional drivers. Absolutely disgraceful.

Note that both cyclist and bus driver are guilty of overtaking on the zigzags of a pedestrian crossing (Rule 191). It's the exchange that comes later about cyclists having to use cycle paths and the safe distance for overtaking which is of interest.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bus Driver Road Rage

Post by Mick F »

Just a little point.
Bicycles can overtake on the zigzags.
It's motor vehicles that are prohibited from overtaking.
Mick F. Cornwall
jochta

Post by jochta »

Mick F wrote:Just a little point.
Bicycles can overtake on the zigzags.
It's motor vehicles that are prohibited from overtaking.

They are? Rule 191 doesn't make a distinction between vehicle types.

The actual law only refers to motor vehicles. Motor vehicle drivers are allowed to pass non motor powered vehicles on zig zag lines and non motor powered vehicles are allowed to pass vehicles stopped on the zig zag lines.

You learn something new every day! The ironic post of highway code knowledge :)

Still, the overtaking manoeuvre by the cyclist early on in the video isn't something I would endorse. The bus although starting to pull away may have been hiding a pedestrian. Cutting across the bus at the crossing between it and the oncoming traffic isn't the most sensible thing to do IMHO.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you and Rule 191 of course, but if you look at the law bit, you'll see that it only applies to motor vehicles.

I raised this question on here before and it was explained to me. It was to do with a similar video - may have been a couple of months ago or more. Sorry, can't remember the thread.
Mick F. Cornwall
jochta

Post by jochta »

Mick F wrote:I agree with you and Rule 191 of course, but if you look at the law bit, you'll see that it only applies to motor vehicles.

I raised this question on here before and it was explained to me. It was to do with a similar video - may have been a couple of months ago or more. Sorry, can't remember the thread.

I found this...

http://www.croydoncyclist.co.uk/overtaking-on-zigzags/

...which explains it quite nicely.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

There are some terrible bus drivers - of which these are good examples.

Problem is if you complain to the bus company, like I did with Go North East - they will just claim the driver left plenty of room. The company giving them cover to drive dangerously means the drivers feel at will to do so.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

None of this excuses the bus driver though! :evil:
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

I dont think that MickF is entirely correct on that about the crossings.

The HC does not reflect the law accurately but the actual law is not as in favour of the cyclist as he remembers (if I remember correctly).

I think that vehicles can not overtake MOTOR vehicles within the zigzags and can not overtake any vehicle that has stopped to let peds cross.

So motorists can overtake cyclists at the crossings but cyclists can NOT overtake motorvehicles.

Will TC come along with a link to the law or somebody else drag it out of the old thread. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whole depot needs a visit from the police to explain the law - surely this kind of answer deserves licence revocation by the DVLA?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Trouble is, the cyclist does come over as a bit of a militant wally. Is it the case of have camera will find trouble to record? Not excusing the ignorance of the driver and his stooge but the cyclist just inflames the situation and who carries a copy of the HC unless he's looking for aggro?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree.
I wouldn't have overtaken the bus like that.
The cyclist was out for a fight, even though he was in the right.
Mick F. Cornwall
jochta

Post by jochta »

boblo wrote:Trouble is, the cyclist does come over as a bit of a militant wally. Is it the case of have camera will find trouble to record? Not excusing the ignorance of the driver and his stooge but the cyclist just inflames the situation and who carries a copy of the HC unless he's looking for aggro?

I thought that too TBH. No one carries a HC unless they are expecting confrontation??
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

Agreed.
Time and again we see these videos. What's the point of chasing someone down? Has any good ever come of it? Either report it, or shake your head and move on, or post about it on a cycle forum ;) but don't make a public spectacle that only serves to antagonise.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

meic wrote:So motorists can overtake cyclists at the crossings but cyclists can NOT overtake motorvehicles.

As MartinC's link shows this is wrong. Motorists cannot overtake any vehicle at the crossings but cyclists can overtake anyone. They can even overtake faster than the speed limit.