Suggestions for a mainly road bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
charlie the cat

Suggestions for a mainly road bike

Post by charlie the cat »

Hello to all, hope you are well. Anyway, I am looking for a bit of advice on a bike.

I have been using an old mountain bike for local commute (about 8m round trip) the last few years, which has recently become a bit err, well.. broken.

I am about to change job (same co) for a commute of approx 15 mile round trip, principally main roads. The obvious answer is a road bike but I would like to get some value from it on weekends, etc. Not bothered about proper mtb-ing but the usual canal sides, gravel tracks, decent pathways, etc. would be good.

This leads me to think I need a hybrid but I would prefer disc brakes (either type is ok) and dropped handle bars (for longer rides at weekends). This then makes me think of the cyclocross variant but I am not sure if they can take mudguards. So a tour bike then? Well...

Another issue to consider is that the missus absolutely hates cycling and sports in general. This makes a tourer a waste of a good bike as a good 2 hr blast here and there is the most time I will likely get though hopefully quite often. (Don't worry she has plenty of good points so I plan on keeping her;)

The best option is to get 2 bikes to cover most situations I know but isn't it better to buy one all-rounder on a budget of £600 - 750ish? (£800 at a push) especially as space is limited. The Boardman's look pretty but so do many other brands. Sirrus? Trek 7 series?

Tyres at 28/32? Oh yes, I'm also a puncture magnet so Marathon Plus, Gatorskins or Ribmo for durability and speed?

tl:dr Budget max £750, quick, light, weather/crap road resistant, disc brakes, mainly road, mudguards friendly. (Oh, and lightning in a bottle.)

Many thanks in advance.
jonbott

Re: Suggestions for a mainly road bike

Post by jonbott »

I would suggest something like a specialized tricross
or similar bike,try your LBS :)
I`m def too old for this!
charlie the cat

Thank you Jon.

I must have missed tricross. Typed 'specialized tricross' in to google and Evans site is showing a nice one, £675. Will have a better look tonight.

Cheers
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Indeed a cyclocross bike would seem to suit your requirements.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Kona do some intersting bikes that might suit your requirements such as the Dr Dew or the Kona Sutra or perhaps the JAke the Snake
NUKe

Post by Vantage »

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rou ... e-ec051744
Pretty much ticks every single box. I wouldn't mind one of these myself actually...
Don't let the myth of touring bikes being slow and cumbersome put you off, they are surprisingly nippy. I even did a ramp jump on mine once just to see if it could be done. I survived :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
charlie the cat

Have seen a Whyte RD7 Sussex in LBS window, can't visit until weekend but promising so far.

The ideal bike is the Boardman Cyclo - what a beauty (only £950 without brakes!!). Maybe wait and save some more.

Thank you all so much for these so far. Am studying them now.... :wink:
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

also depending on your employer,there`s the `cycle to work scheme`
I`m def too old for this!
binka

Post by binka »

I've got a Tricross which I use for the same as you want. Commuting in the week, tracks, canal paths at weekends.

It can fit mudguards, pannier rack. I was planning to tour on it but have bought a trike now. Ill still use the Tricross for commuting and some weekend stuff. Really nice bike. Brakes aren't the greatest in my opinion but I think new models have disc brakes.
Specialized Tricross
Ice Sprint