Fenchurch Street

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
snibgo

Fenchurch Street

Post by snibgo »

It seems some mad scientist, probably a cyclist, has created a Jame Bond device that melts cars. Sadly, the gadget has also attacked a poor innocent bike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23944679
Postboxer

Re: Fenchurch Street

Post by Postboxer »

I'm going to buy that Vietnamese restaurant across the road and cover it in solar panels.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another good reason not to go into a city,I now make it six million seventy two thousand and four. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

reohn2 wrote:Another good reason not to go into a city,I now make it six million seventy two thousand and four. :)

I missed them, can you list them again please :lol:
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

The architect of that building has form when it comes to accidental solar death rays, too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Redvee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Another good reason not to go into a city,I now make it six million seventy two thousand and four. :)

I missed them, can you list them again please :lol:

I've forgotten most of them but take heart in knowing that I did remember once upon a time :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Would make 17 million and 1 for me...

http://www.whitepages.co.uk/england/whi ... on-uk.html

I wonder who named it the 'Walkie Talkie', whether it was a journalist, internet wag or a sneaky architect trying to get it some publicity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

He's only trying to construct the World's largest solar telescope, isn't he? Expect a bunch of weirdos and Patrick-Moore-lookalikes to congregate, any time now, at the appropriate spot in Eastcheap, bearing cameras and other paraphernalia.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I almost want to see this building- just looked at it google images and it looks like a typical bland office block seen through a fairground mirror. I guess in the flesh it will be as disappointing as most of them; I like skyscrapers and some 'statement' buildings (Bank of China Tower in HK particularly, and Chrysler & Woolies in NYC), but every skyscraper I am aware of in the UK is quite dismally bad. If only the gherkin had been 1/3 taller... 1/4 even. As for the Beetham in Manc, oh dear oh dear.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

JamesE wrote:The architect of that building has form when it comes to accidental solar death rays, too.

I was aware of that building, but didn't realise it was the same architect. You'd think he'd learn.

The famous architect Frank Gehry also designed a building with an inadvertent death ray, the Disney building in Los Angeles. However the focused reflection there was from metallic surfaces and they were able to sand-blast it to avert the effect.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

This building in Liverpool has a similar effect (streetview link), although there are no parked cars to melt.
Walk along the footpath in a morning and you'll see the 'hot spot', standing in it for a few moments gives you a whole body version of that feeling you get when you warm your bum on a radiator in the winter...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

kwackers wrote:This building in Liverpool has a similar effect (streetview link), although there are no parked cars to melt.
Walk along the footpath in a morning and you'll see the 'hot spot', standing in it for a few moments gives you a whole body version of that feeling you get when you warm your bum on a radiator in the winter...

Are any local entrepreneurs selling tickets to stand there and turn orange? :oops:

And to hell with the melanomas of course...