Are people who attend church above the law?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jezer

Are people who attend church above the law?

Post by jezer »

I live in the centre of a small market town opposite the parish church. I'm usually out on the club run on Sunday mornings, but having got back late from a wedding last night I gave it a miss today. I've just looked outside and there are cars parked all up the street on double yellow lines and several blocking the pavement. I can hear the worshippers singing as I type. How can the offenders consider themselves Christians whilst at the same time not considering people trying to get past in wheelchairs or with children in prams? If they must drive to church there is a car park very close that is free on Sundays :roll:
Power to the pedals
meic

Re: Are people who attend church above the law?

Post by meic »

I think that in many cases they have exemptions from the law (not too dissimilar to speeding laws not applying to cyclists, when seen from a car-centric viewpoint).

However this isnt one of them, they probably need a good shepherd to guide them.

We dont have that problem so much around here as everybody is parked outside of the Capel instead.
Chapel goers tend to be even more self-righteous than church goers but they still are car centric enough to park on the pavement so as not to inconvenience motorists. :roll:
Yma o Hyd
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Is it risk compensation in action? Being Christians they believe that if you do get killed as a result they will be sending you to a better place. :twisted:
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

Northern Ireland has a very strong car culture and very high church attendance. The most terrifying drivers always seem to be out on a sunday. People often seem to follow their visit to church with going for a drive, during which many are apparently so full of peace and bliss that they aren't paying attention to driving.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

there's bad motorists amongst all groups of people. be they blond, bald, black or religious. let's not single out those who like to spend their time talking to deities.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This road here gets absolutely clogged on a Sunday morning.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Tavist ... 1,,0,-5.34

It's bad enough during a weekday with parked cars on the right, but when the church-goers park on the left too, it becomes a nightmare.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I sympathise with the thoughts here, but I fear we may be opening a....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

hubgearfreak wrote:there's bad motorists amongst all groups of people. be they blond, bald, black or religious. let's not single out those who like to spend their time talking to deities.

I cycle past a church on a Sunday morning at just the 'wrong' time and can expect to be cut up by people turning into it or be overtaken overly closely and it appears to me that these incidences more frequently than I'd normally expect.
However my explanation is a lot simpler. There are more old fogies driving those cars - a group my normal commuting times would largely exclude.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

kwackers wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:there's bad motorists amongst all groups of people. be they blond, bald, black or religious. let's not single out those who like to spend their time talking to deities.

I cycle past a church on a Sunday morning at just the 'wrong' time and can expect to be cut up by people turning into it or be overtaken overly closely and it appears to me that these incidences more frequently than I'd normally expect.
However my explanation is a lot simpler. There are more old fogies driving those cars - a group my normal commuting times would largely exclude.

Nothing is as bad at the church and church hall near us as when the Fat Club turns up for its weekly meeting. In the desperation not to burn an extra calorie they will even park up on the pavement to be closer to the gate.
meic

Post by meic »

Is this air your prejudice day? :lol:

Personally I would comment on the local Conservative club parking their Jaguars on the zebra crossing because they are too important to walk.
But I cant remember ever seeing a Conservative club in Wales (Monmouthshire doesnt count).
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

TonyR wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Nothing is as bad at the church and church hall near us as when the Fat Club turns up for its weekly meeting. In the desperation not to burn an extra calorie they will even park up on the pavement to be closer to the gate.

Try diverting them to Rosemary Connelly...she tells her worshippers to park as far a way as possible from where they are going. Alas, many take this as meaning that they should choose the hall's car park space furthest away from the door rather than leaving the car at home.
Likewise, at the LA Fitness over the road from me they often park on the no parking area right in front of the doors just to reduce the walk in. Fat or thin, we are all inherently lazy.

As for churches, yes, get the same thing: the driving in and out of the church car park that I often pass is awful. I think that the reason why they stand out is that people going to the gym/shops/school/etc you just assume to be selfish anyway. People going to church you assume to be full of good will to all (wo)men.

But can't complain.....hard work getting in and out of the cafe today due to the number of bikes piled up in front of the door.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I think this Thread would score high on the 'grumpy old gits' index. People parking badly outside churches. Good Grief, whatever next?
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

In Judaism driving is considered to be work, and you may not work on the sabbath. Jews are supposed to walk to shul so do synagogues have this problem?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
meic

Post by meic »

I hope that they can cycle to the Synagogue as cycling is pleasure. :D

Looking at some cyclists it may stray close to worshiping false idols. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Si wrote:Likewise, at the LA Fitness over the road from me they often park on the no parking area right in front of the doors just to reduce the walk in.

Time for the classic
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379255789.613117.jpg