Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Bike. Camp. Cook.

Post by Slowroad »

Looks good!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goi ... -camp-cook

However I don't suppose they do my favourite touring meal, Moroccan Fish Stew:
(Amounts per person)
Half or whole packet of Moroccan or Harissa flavoured Couscous depending on appetite
1 or 2 tomatoes
Tin of mackerel in tomato sauce or spicy tomato sauce
Start off couscous as per instructions, i.e., boil a little water and pour it on. Meanwhile chop and cook tomatoes gently. Open tin of mackerel and pull into pieces with spork. When couscous is ready combine all the ingredients together, heat through and eat.

I'd be interested to hear about other meals as easy to create in 5-10 minutes in two tiny pans, with ingredients obtainable from the average European supermarket!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
fossala

Re: Bike. Camp. Cook.

Post by fossala »

Pot noodle, what you need is to carefully take a kettle, fill it with water and put it on the stove. Wait for the water to come to 100C, while waiting you can prepare your pot noodle. You will need to take the foil off the top and empty the sauce into the container on top of the noodles (pro tip: warm hands are better than cold). Once the water has come to the boil, gently poor it into the pot noodle container. Leave to one side for 2 mins, stir and wait another 3 mins.
Bon appetit.

Just kidding, I'm a chef and cook good food but after a long day of riding nothing beats the simplicity off pot noodles.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

trangia pasta, as it's become known in this house.

chop a small onion and a small pepper(1), perhaps a bit of garlic..slowly sautee in the pan.
add a cup of water, stock cube and a can of beans in sauce(2). add two cups of pasta.
simmer for 10 mins.

(1)or courgette, or mushrooms, whatever takes your fancy
(2)baked beans, mexican bean salad, kidney beans in chilli., again, what you feel like

there's planty online...here's a start
http://trangiastove.co.uk/recipes-lunch.php#
fossala

Post by fossala »

hubgearfreak wrote:...slowly sautee in the pan...

Not being picky, but the chef in me wanting to inform.
Sautéing (from the French sauté, lit. "jumped, bounced" in reference to tossing while cooking)[1] is a method of cooking food, that uses a small amount of oil or fat in a shallow pan over relatively high heat.

You can't slowly sautee, you can slowly fry though. Damn all these afternoon cooking programs on TV...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

packet rice, when nearly cooked, add some sort of white fish; fish kedgeree....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
1982john

Post by 1982john »

i dont understand the need for 11k. cant they just self publish an e-book. if it make any money they can print a few copies quite cheap.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

1982john wrote:i dont understand the need for 11k. cant they just self publish an e-book. if it make any money they can print a few copies quite cheap.

Yoink.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I think people use kickstarter for publicity rather than just money sometimes.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

porridge: add hot water, leave for 5 mins, add any fruit that's to hand, bit of sugar - its breakfast
found 1kg bag of porridge lasted me 10 days (10 meals) so pretty cheap
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

1982john wrote:i dont understand the need for 11k. cant they just self publish an e-book. if it make any money they can print a few copies quite cheap.

Cookbooks need good photographs to be successful and what most e-books don't do well is pictures - apart from the colour e-books perhaps. Food photography can also be expensive.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Was reading the couple's journal last year, until they pretty much stopped the cycling side of things, and sometimes popped back to see their re-integration to life at home.

They came across as a nice pair, and Tara often mentioned doing a cookbook. Tyler is a very capable photographer going by their site, so that's a cost less. I believe it'll be a nice book, if not necessarily very bikey. Worth a read when ready.

Bit unsure of their saying converting to epub would be a lot of work, but he's a computer person, so he should be able, but know what's a PITA I guess.

Of course, everything I say is based on their own blog, so it could all be a fantasy, who knows?!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Cheers for the recipes! The one for Pot Noodle made me laugh - I have just been ignoring them and trying to perk up Super Noodles but maybe I shouldn't be so snooty and give them a try.
Porridge - I use oatbran which packs down small and expands amazingly during just 3 mins cooking. Nice with cinnamon and brown sugar.
I found more suitable ingredients in Dutch and French supermarkets this year than in English ones - small tins of beans and bags of pre-cut soup veg were useful. In the Dutch supermarkets there were rarely vegetables loose, so I ended up buying pre-cut mini bags of potatoes!
It's part of the trip I really enjoy, working out what I can cook to keep the engine going.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
bidi

Post by bidi »

My current favourite one-pot camp stove dinner is Chorizo and Bacon Chilli, although it takes longer than 10-15 mins. Serves 1.

Fry half a chopped onion and a two chopped cloves of garlic in oil.

Add roughly chopped chorizo, smoked bacon and chillies and fry.

Add a tin of ratatouille (or chopped tomatoes) and half a tin of red kidney beans.

Season with salt (not too much, the bacon is salty) and pepper and heat through. Add chilli powder if you like a bit of extra heat.

Eat straight out the billy can using the wooden stirring spoon together with torn-off chunks of bread - I like fresh ciabatta - washed down with a bottle of Merlot! :D
nickpaton

Post by nickpaton »

Great recipe ideas which I'll be trying - thanks!

I posted this elsewhere, and is what I use to keep pans and their contents warm during cooking whilst freeing up a single burner stove to cook the rest of the meal in a second pan:
Cooking Pasta, Rice etc: Got this tip somewhere on these forums but it really works! Pasta takes around 10 minutes to cook which uses a lot of fuel and hogs the single burner stove.
I bought a roll of that thin metal coated insulated sheeting from a DIY store and made up a sleeve to fit around each pan, and some circular bits for top and bottom of the pans.
Once the water has boiled, add the pasta, rice etc, take off the heat, put a sleeve round the pan and stand on a circular bit. Cover with a second circular bit. This keeps the water very hot and the pasta was perfectly cooked every time. It also freed up the stove to cook the main course and saved fuel too! They pack up flat and weigh nothing.

Since the original post, I've used it on another longer trip and found it really worked well. It's also likely to work for anything that requires a simmering heat, as the water remains very warm for a long time.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Cheers for the reminder nickpaton, it's a great idea.
Last year I picked up a windshield for a few quid from Wilko, it's made such a difference. I bought another this year in case I lose the first one and it has been the source of some envy on campsites!
I also use a £9 Wilko cooker at the moment, it's very like the MSR Pocket Rocket, works fine, and the fuel is the cheapest I've found recently.
Oooh, almost missing camping thinking about it, if it wasn't for the chilly weather!
― Peter Golkin