Unicycle on A30 - doing LEJOG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tonythompson

Unicycle on A30 - doing LEJOG?

Post by tonythompson »

Last week I passed a guy on the A30 riding a Unicycle heading away from LE - he had a van out front doing the same speed, lights flashing I guess supporting him. Personally on that road I'd have had it behind me. However, just wondered if anyone knows how he is getting on.

For those unicyclist in here what are the particular problems riding one of these, I assume single gear and any cross wind. I expect he chose the main road because of the gradients, certainly taking the back route was some of the hardest riding I have done.

Good luck to you if it was you I passed. Too much traffic to stop and cheer you on.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
fossala

Re: Unicycle on A30 - doing LEJOG?

Post by fossala »

Why did my post get deleted that said "idiot"? What else could I say about a man that thinks it's a good idea to ride a unicycle on the A30? It's a dangerous road for cyclists and utter stupidity for a unicyclist to go on it. :roll:
gordy

Post by gordy »

TBH what the world needs right now is many more people riding unicycles (or spacehoppers, whatever) on the A30 - and everywhere else for that matter.

Good on him!
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

As I said he was protected by a transit - which I'm sure didn't endear him to many of the motorists. I have to say I've riden in many countries but wouldn't enjoy that road.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

fossala wrote:Why did my post get deleted that said "idiot"? What else could I say about a man that thinks it's a good idea to ride a unicycle on the A30? It's a dangerous road for cyclists and utter stupidity for a unicyclist to go on it. :roll:

viewtopic.php?t=3661

The ethos of this forum is that cyclists should be able to come together and discuss a whole range of topics in a civil, polite and respectful way.

Please be aware, it is notoriously easy to cause offence on message boards by, for instance, a poor choice of words or providing inadequate context. Thus we would urge practising diplomacy in your posts wherever controversy emerges. This isn't to say you cannot put forward your point of view and have a frank exchange with other posters, but that we expect you to do so in a polite, civil, friendly and reasoned way.

A post that says only "idiot" is not contributing in a positive way to the forum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fossala

Post by fossala »

It's the fantastic thing about language. You can convey you thoughts sometimes with just one word. As hopefully people know, I often have input on topics that help people. It's not like I'm a troll, but what else could be said about a man riding a unicycle on a road that is pretty much "Cornwall's Motorway". I live in Cornwall myself and riding on the A30 isn't the best idea on a full bike.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

fossala wrote: riding on the A30 isn't the best idea on a full bike.

there are many motorists who's say riding any bike on any road is a bad idea. what seperates you from those taking out of their hat merchants.?

perhaps you've got a list of roads i could avoid to prevent me becoming an idiot?
or maybe even better, a list of roads with the required minimum speeds that I must maintain?
could you also please compile a list of roads and the maximum width of handlebars.
have you got a list of roads that you consider suitable for tricycles?

perhaps any road for any vehicle that'll fit on it, and those operating the vehicles that have the ability to cause death also having the duty to take care not to, might also work.

i've read enough about the A30, if i win the lottery i'm going to ride up and down it in a traction engine :twisted:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've ridden on many stretches of the A30 and don't find it a problem other than the fact that it's boring, noisy and it's boring. No problem with traffic and plenty room, though it's a boring road on a bike.

I said "boring" three times to reinforce my point. :wink:

A few years ago, two big wheel unicyclists came down through the village on the A390 on their way to Tavistock wearing rucksacks! They struggled with the hill out of the valley where I saw them - goodness knows how they coped with coming DOWN Gunnislake Hill :shock:

The A30 has much to commend it on a unicycle - the hills are more even and graded than the other roads in Cornwall and Devon.
Mick F. Cornwall
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

This might be a stupid question, but can you freewheel on a unicycle?
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
RickH

Post by RickH »

patpalloon wrote:This might be a stupid question, but can you freewheel on a unicycle?

Not usually - although you can take your feet off the pedals. See this Youtube video for a demonstration of that (about 5 seconds in) & lots of other crazy stuff to follow! :shock:

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

fossala wrote:Why did my post get deleted that said "idiot"? What else could I say about a man that thinks it's a good idea to ride a unicycle on the A30? It's a dangerous road for cyclists and utter stupidity for a unicyclist to go on it. :roll:

Pretty sure you can't do LEJOG wihout riding on the A30 as it's the only road out of Land's End...

On our LEJOG, we stayed on the A30 as far as Indian Queens and I have to say I didn't feel threatened at all, although you had to vigilant when crossing junctions for cars going onto the slip road. I agree with Mick though - it is a boring road to ride on.
fossala

Post by fossala »

hubgearfreak wrote:
fossala wrote: riding on the A30 isn't the best idea on a full bike.

there are many motorists who's say riding any bike on any road is a bad idea. what seperates you from those taking out of their hat merchants.?

perhaps you've got a list of roads i could avoid to prevent me becoming an idiot?
or maybe even better, a list of roads with the required minimum speeds that I must maintain?
could you also please compile a list of roads and the maximum width of handlebars.
have you got a list of roads that you consider suitable for tricycles?

perhaps any road for any vehicle that'll fit on it, and those operating the vehicles that have the ability to cause death also having the duty to take care not to, might also work.

i've read enough about the A30, if i win the lottery i'm going to ride up and down it in a traction engine :twisted:

Obviously it's my point of view and not what must be done. I fail to see the humor in what you have wrote, unless that isn't what you where aiming for and actully see me as a god (like more should IMO) :)
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

GavinC wrote:Pretty sure you can't do LEJOG wihout riding on the A30 as it's the only road out of Land's End...

Sure you can. :) There's a cycle path. Not to everyone's taste but neither is the A30!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 14.54.19.png
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
GavinC wrote:Pretty sure you can't do LEJOG wihout riding on the A30 as it's the only road out of Land's End...

Sure you can. :) There's a cycle path. Not to everyone's taste but neither is the A30!

Good point! Reckon that would be fun on a unicycle :D
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Cycling on the A30 is (still) legal, but is driving a van at unicycle speed with the hazards on?
The Highway code only allows driving with hazard lights on to warn for hazards in front.