Found: a memory stick

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Found: a memory stick

Post by 661-Pete »

PH wrote:Dose anyone create anything original on a memory stick? I use them all the time, at work and at home, sometimes to bring work home, I've never had anything on a memory stick that isn't a copy of something on a HDD. To loose one would be a minor inconvenience, I wouldn't have lost any data.

Same here. A memory stick is a transfer device, not a data repository. For that I use an external HDD, and that stays securely in its assigned place at home, when not in use.

I once had some minor qualms when I thought I'd lost a memory stick (I hadn't) which I thought contained a sensitive file including passwords (it didn't). Although I do store some less-important passwords on a computer (such as the login to this forum :twisted: ) - but NEVER really important ones like bank etc. - I'd never dream of putting them on a memory stick and carrying them about. I was just having a 'senior moment' - I wasn't absolutely sure the file wasn't on the stick, lying in the road somewhere...

If someone did pick up one of my sticks lying in the street, they'd come across a lot of my astronomy photos. Good luck to them if they do! A bit of publicity can't do any harm...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ray

Post by Ray »

Interesting thread. Had I not read this I'd probably have put the memory stick in my computer just as Mick did. However, in the unlikely event that I ever find one in future, I'll probably be more careful. I must say, though, it does sound unlikely that the kind of scumbags who'd be plotting to invade random private computers, let alone overthrow foreign governments, would have deliberately placed the bait so that Mr or Mrs F would pick it up on the way back from the pub! But even discounting this kind of cloak and dagger intrigue, might there be a risk that you could pick up nasties that were lurking unsuspected on someone else's PC?
Seems to me Mick was trying to be public-spirited, and the risk was probably tiny. That said, if I were him I'd hand it to the police if it ever happens again.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

700c wrote:You were foolish.

I don't think so - it's what someone of goodwill would do. That's the nature of social engineering. It cynically exploits our instinctive nature.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief!
Lighten up!
Don't be so wound up about this.
It's only a computer.
I will not be doing any virus checks - I don't have any software for it, or even want any.
Apple Macs here!
Good job Apple Macs can read PC stuff, had it been the other way round, I may not have known anything.

It was a memory stick obviously dropped by someone local, not by a local Al-Qaeda cell. The police wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. There is no identification on it and no method of knowing who it belongs to. The local coppers no nothing of people here, and that's fine by me.

I did say at the beginning of this thread that it's a good idea to have a Jpeg of your name and address on a memory stick so if it's lost, it can get back to you easily.

Had the stick had something dodgy on it I would have taken my computer and the stick to the police immediately of course. It didn't and doesn't contain anything dodgy - just a few photos and a few documents and lists to do with a couple of narrow gauge railways.

It took only a chat on facebook and a chat down the pub over a beer or two to zero into the owner. They live about 200yds from us but although we know them, we don't know much about them. However, many people know more than us and as soon as I mentioned narrow gauge railways - bang! we had them. One chap even told me what narrow gauge railways would be on the stick! :shock: Launceston (coz the owner of the stick works there) and Talyllyn in N Wales.

I called in this morning but they were out. Back by 5.30 I was told by the next door neighbour. He also immediately said it must be his by my description. I could have just pushed it through the letter box, but I'm curious to find out how it got to where I picked it up and how long it's been lost. I'm a nosey old sod, and I always see the good in people and never think the worst.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ray

Post by Ray »

I make no 'claim' to be 'nosey', but I would have been glad to be able to return the device to its owner.
Simple question: what's the advantage of putting your address on a .jpg (or similar)? Wouldn't it be easier just to stick a label on, or write your address on it with permanent ink? No necessity then for anyone to open it.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:It was a memory stick obviously dropped by someone local, not by a local Al-Qaeda cell.

Sorry but that has tickled me...conjuring up very strange images of the Mebyon Kernow branch of Al-Qaeda..... :D
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Si wrote:
Mick F wrote:It was a memory stick obviously dropped by someone local, not by a local Al-Qaeda cell.

Sorry but that has tickled me...conjuring up very strange images of the Mebyon Kernow branch of Al-Qaeda..... :D

It reminded me off the Beiderbecke Tapes and the latter Beiderbecke Affair. I just hope that the bloke that owns this is called Al (big or little).

After all Mick is such a subversive character ridding a bike in that area and using some sort of sign (the odd socks) so that others know he is available to transport secret messages. Also he is well known for transporting persons across the border.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ray wrote:I make no 'claim' to be 'nosey', but I would have been glad to be able to return the device to its owner.
Simple question: what's the advantage of putting your address on a .jpg (or similar)? Wouldn't it be easier just to stick a label on, or write your address on it with permanent ink? No necessity then for anyone to open it.
Yes, Ray, it would be easier, but this one seems to have been outside for a few days, a label may have come off. I would think a better idea would be to fix a key-ring fob onto it. You can get them that you can open and put labels inside. Anyway, the point is that it would be great if there was some way of knowing who's it is.

As it happens, by 6.30 yesterday they still hadn't come home, so I'm trying again this evening.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mick F wrote:As it happens, by 6.30 yesterday they still hadn't come home, so I'm trying again this evening

Ah the plot thickens having traced the owner, now they have disappeared. There could be a great short story with this one.
If you give the basic plot to the year5 class the result could be very entertaining and well worth the read.

Alternatively could our hero track down the missing persons on his bike? But where have they gone and taken by who?
How about our own story?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Mick F wrote:It's full of stuff about narrow gauge railways. Nothing important or any sensitive info either.

If it belongs to a train spotter you can have a fair idea what they look like - they'll be wearing a gas mask haversack, have a camera worn round their neck, carrying a note book and of course, and this is definitive of the type, have a Thermos flask.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

BeeKeeper wrote:
Mick F wrote:It's full of stuff about narrow gauge railways. Nothing important or any sensitive info either.

If it belongs to a train spotter you can have a fair idea what they look like - they'll be wearing a gas mask haversack, have a camera worn round their neck, carrying a note book and of course, and this is definitive of the type, have a Thermos flask.

Send it to Doncaster station and ask someone to drop it at the far end of platform 4. It'll be bound to find a good home... :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BeeKeeper wrote:If it belongs to a train spotter you can have a fair idea what they look like ......
He wears a bow tie and is a teacher.
(Say no more!)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen their car in their drive for some time. Maybe he's been arrested for wearing a bow tie and not being in possession of his memory stick in class.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

BeeKeeper wrote:

So, basically a CTC member without a bike?
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

I'm glad to say I look nothing like your description.
I do like trains though, having lived at both ends of the Somerset and Dorset line.
Now sadly dismantled.
Do cyclists and train enthusiasts fall into a certain type? :shock: :shock:
Thank goodness for soup.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

Mick F wrote:It's not safe to think that you won't be targeted like the Iranian power station because that's no longer the case. You don't have to be strategically important, .

But...does that mean you are denying that you aren't an Iranian power station ? ...I certainly am! I thought "Audax" was a code word !

Also, you are strategically important.....you are the spam buster here !!....and if you put that memory stick into the same computer that you use for editing this site then that means we could all loose the ability to process uranium and run our nuclear reactors !!

PS - That missing £20 ....is it a kind of purple colour? I think that could be mine.... try putting it into an envelope and putting it in the post to me and I will be able to tell you if it has a virus on or not :lol: