What panniers are you using?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SastusBulbas

What panniers are you using?

Post by SastusBulbas »

Just curious as to what panniers people are using.

For years I have used old Vaude fully waterproof rollover Panniers, the left/right specific ones with a hard back, and a strap that goes right round the bottom. Only had a few broken clips, currently using zip ties to hold a hook on with no problems, but the bag got a small rip in a road accident.

Now thinking of a new set, as I can't see exact replacements for mine, I am thinking of Vaude Aqua Deluxe instead. But I cant find any front specific smaller models or larger rears?
diapason0

Re: What panniers are you using?

Post by diapason0 »

Got to be Carradice Super Cs! Cotton Duck is waterproof, durable and always looks good. Great company to deal with as well.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I'm using some 52ltr altura dryline to carry things around. When I'm just commuting to work I use a 7ltr altura dryline rackpack. I'm trying to find some front 32ltr to use as the 52ltr are too big for most days.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

diapason0 wrote:Got to be Carradice Super Cs! Cotton Duck is waterproof, durable and always looks good....

+1 love mine, tho they still look too new :wink: Currently studying the range of Carradice saddle bags to get one for my audax bike.
fossala

Post by fossala »

If I could go back in time, I would get carradice. From what I have heard their customer service is second to non.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Started using Orliebs in 2001 and would not again use any other make. Hard wearing, waterproof, easy to put on and off the bike.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Ortliebs. Big and simple. I likes that.
CyclingSi

Post by CyclingSi »

Ortleibs here too
irc

Post by irc »

Ortliebs. Waterproof. On and off the bike in seconds. Durable material. Long term the clips and buckles can fail but replacements available.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sounds like I should buy some of the above...

I've got some good no-name small satchel-type panniers, a rather large cirvit triple pannier set from Lidl which has survived a bit of abuse for at least two years and two Bikemate single panniers from Aldi which didn't fit any racks very well and have failed in different ways (clips on one, stitching on another) in six months of occasional use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've got a pair of Altura Arc panniers. So far (2 years) I've had no problems with them and they are very light weight and waterproof as well. Only downside I can see is that the bottom is not re-enforced so you have to be a bit more careful slinging them onto the ground.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Also using the Altura Dryline 56ltr pans. 40% more space than ortlieb and were quite a bit cheaper. Think weight wise they were the same as well.
tripwire

Post by tripwire »

I'm using Carradice Super C front panniers and Altura Arran 36s on the rear. Neither type is completely waterproof, but they keep the worst off and I just use small drybags inside for anything absorbent such as clothing. Both types fit securely on tubus racks and are durable.

I've verified the toughness of the Altura Arran on the old version, which lacked the locking catch to prevent the panniers bouncing off. My old pair lasted seven years, survived a few high-speed ejections and are still going strong - I only replaced them to get the new version with proper locking catches.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have only ever used inexpensive panniers.

I normally just use liners in them, or pack everything in plastic bags. I have worn out two sets of cheap panniers in about 25 years of using them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

I used cheap and cheerful panniers lined with plastic bags for years, but the big drawback was taking them on and off the bike, especially whilst getting on/off trains, going through 'gates' that stop motorcycles etc getting on cycle-paths and particularly those on canal towpaths. Since getting Ortliebs though, I've never looked back. Their only drawback is that they don't have any external pockets, which would be handy, but a decent handlebar bag more or less gets round this problem.