The public spirit is alive and kicking...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CREPELLO

The public spirit is alive and kicking...

Post by CREPELLO »

Postboxer

Re: The public spirit is alive and kicking...

Post by Postboxer »

So assuming the car that bent it must have been caught on CCTV too, a bill should be sent, 5 people, 4 minutes discussing strategy, 13 minutes bending it back. 5 x 17 = 85 minutes. Round up to 2 hours at £50 per hour. Bill the driver, include a fine for not being able to drive. Find the 5 people, give them £20 each, or £20 of credit at the takeaway, then hire them to sort out all the other problems that get reported because I bet the council would spend a fortune doing such a simple repair, someone would go out to inspect it first, then fill in a report, then carry out Health and Safety assessments etc etc.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

All power to those lads for having a go to sort something out. I do have one negative observation to make though, the metal in that cycle stand will now have been weakened. The next time Mr Magoo reverses into it it may break.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Someone's had their Weetabix!™
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

WaterLab Rat wrote:All power to those lads for having a go to sort something out. I do have one negative observation to make though, the metal in that cycle stand will now have been weakened. The next time Mr Magoo reverses into it it may break.

Yep - but it's taken the council weeks to do nothing.
These guys at least made it usable, and the council know it's been damaged (I hope they're chasing the driver for replacement cost)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Bravo lads! :D :D :D
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-24224492

Follow-up!

Revellers who repaired a bike rack on a night out in Lincolnshire have been honoured with a free takeaway and thanks from the town's mayor.

Martin Griggs, 24, Dean Mason, Simon McMillan, Dan Butler and Jordan Doughty, all 23, were seen on CCTV fixing the rack in Boston.

The men were given certificates by mayor Paul Kenny and a kebab from Boston Delights on Monday evening.

:D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well if a tiny amount of brute force repaired it then the cycle hoop couldnt have been very good? or was very loose in the ground? Any way not one I would want to use ! I bet they were too drunk any way, they didnt know what they were doing?
Si

Post by Si »

They looked like they knew exactly what they were doing to me. I didn't notice any falling over or wobbling, and they seemed to stand back and consider the best way to do it...then they took quite some time and effort fixing it...not the actions of someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Sure, they had probably had a few drinks....but they weren't out of control yobbos. I say that we should applaud their actions rather than castigate them...what sort of message does it send to people if you go looking for reasons to criticise them after they have done a good deed?

Given how long it took this group of fit young men to bend an already weakened stand I'd say that it would have been pretty safe to lock a bike to one that hadn't previously been hit by a car.