Fixing a puncture on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

Re: Fixing a puncture on the road

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:I've not had one since 20th July 2012.
I've done nearly 5,000miles since then.

And now that you've dared her, she'll jump out from the next river/stream you pass and harpoon your front tyre lol
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:I used to think like you till I could afford a track pump. I found that once I was inflating tyres to a high pressure, rather than "that feels hard," I was spending too much time with patches eventually coming off.

I don't suffer that so much since changing to adhesive patches.
661-Pete wrote:Of the three, Armadillo gets my vote:

The other two must be really awful! I've an Armadillo on the back but won't get another any time soon: too heavy and picks up glass shards and Norfolk flints like nothing else I've ever used. Fortunately so far the resistance has worked, but it's still an annoying tap-tap-tap to stop, find and remove before it gets through.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

661-Pete wrote: I spread each coat gently with a clean fingertip.

Or a clean knuckle, because your fingertips will be FILTHY by this stage :D

I used to swear by Tip Top patches but these days I've got lazy and find the self-adhesive ones are perfectly good, and a lot quicker to use.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

IrishBill76 wrote:

And now that you've dared her, she'll jump out from the next river/stream you pass and harpoon your front tyre lol
Funny you say that. :oops:

I was approaching Plymouth on the A388 and noticed my front tyre was going soft. :oops:
"Oh heck!" (or words to that affect) I shouted and immediately thought that I'd spoken too soon on the forum! :oops:

Wheel out, tube out, tyre off and inside out and I found nothing. Absolutely nothing to account for the soggy tyre.
Then I spied the patch on the tube that had come adrift - the one that I'd put on after my puncture in July last year! That one had been a shard of glass, but this one was just the slipped patch.

New tube out, tyre on, new tube in, tyre on completely, CO2 connected, nice hard tyre!
Ride completed without further incident.

The old tube is going to be recycled. I really can't be bothered in fixing it again and then not trusting it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

puffin wrote:My time is running out... I have done LEJOG twice and never had a puncture (my tyres are called Marathon which I gather are strengthened). The odds are surely stacked against me....

No they aren't. You're no more likely to puncture next time as you were the previous times.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark1978 wrote:
puffin wrote:My time is running out... I have done LEJOG twice and never had a puncture (my tyres are called Marathon which I gather are strengthened). The odds are surely stacked against me....

No they aren't. You're no more likely to puncture next time as you were the previous times.

Until you wear through the tyre...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:
IrishBill76 wrote:

Funny you say that. :oops:

I was approaching Plymouth on the A388 and noticed my front tyre was going soft. :oops:
"Oh heck!" (or words to that affect) I shouted and immediately thought that I'd spoken too soon on the forum! :oops:

Wouldn't have happened if you'd been on the segregated cycle path :wink:
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Si wrote:.......Wouldn't have happened if you'd been on the segregated cycle path :wink:

Ah, paths segregated from punctures - those would be worth having!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Ellieb wrote:I can't believe the number of people on this thread mentioning the 'p' word without any censorship. You fools! Do you really believe the fairy will not notice you? :shock:

I did not use the p word and was ambushed in the garage today.... she had been visiting in the night.... :( quick change of bike and shoes was required...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Mick F wrote:The old tube is going to be recycled. I really can't be bothered in fixing it again and then not trusting it.

One of the seven I was going to repair ended up the same. When I pumped up the tube to find the hole and counted 8 patches I thought that it was time for the last rites of the tube. I must also do the final checking of the tubes before the OH gets in the bath, her bubblebath makes it harder to see any leaks.
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Mick F wrote:The old tube is going to be recycled.

When you say recycled, do you actually have a better option than throwing it in the landfill? The same with worn out tyres - what <green/> options are there?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I said "recycled" because I'll use it for something else.

We have one in the garden on a stake holding a tree, I make lazzy bands if I need them too.
Also, thinking about the other thread regarding Presta valves coming off, if you cut a 2" piece and make a hole in it, you can put it over the valve stem before you insert it in the hole.
If you make a tool for something, the rubber can make a padded handle.
The rubber makes a good frame protector if you clamp something on your frame.

As for actually "recycling", I don't know what's done with rubber if you take it to the local recycling dump. I know they take tyres.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Thanks.

The scouts have sometimes had old tubes for catapults, but I've never found anything for tyres. Locally they just go in the landfill.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

All these problems! Slime, slime, slime - magic stuff!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

andrewwoods wrote:
Mick F wrote:The old tube is going to be recycled.

When you say recycled, do you actually have a better option than throwing it in the landfill? The same with worn out tyres - what <green/> options are there?

Last time I visited the public tip, I had a couple of old bike tyres with me. I was just about to drop them in the 'general waste' skip when an attendant came up to me, said firmly "No" and grabbed them out of my hand. "These go in the used tyres skip, I'll take them along if you like". I didn't even know there was a way of recycling tyres - bike or other. I do know, that when you have a car tyre replaced, the garage slap on a charge for 'environmental disposal' or whatnot :( .

So which is it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).