Why I Am Not Renewing My CTC Membership

byegad

Re: Why I Am Not Renewing My CTC Membership

Post by byegad »

Si wrote:
byegad wrote:Matt, it's typical of the CTC's creaky software that your link is coming up as a CTC page not found message. Makes me glad I'm no longer a member! :)

Not creaky software this time...it had a full stop accidentaly added to the end...have now rectified and the link should take you to a survey.

thanks Si
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

robgul wrote:
Matt wrote:Hi,
I’m Matt Mallinder, CTC Membership Manager. I’ve been brought on board (3 months into post) to manage the membership function and where there are issues, to improve the membership service.

I do monitor these boards whenever possible but to assist me in expediting any issues I would also ask forum users to feel free to direct issues to me either at matt.mallinder@ctc.org.uk or on the phone at the national office – 01483 238312. I’ll do everything I can to resolve the issue or be able to give you a damn good reason why not.

Picking up on the subject line of this board I’m happy to put my hands up where there have been issues in the past and am always keen to understand why a member has lapsed or is planning not to renew. Please do let me know. Obviously I’ll try to get you to change your mind (that’s my job :D ), but if not it would help to get to the nub of any issues.

We’re always looking to improve CTC’s service and benefits and to this end I’ve set up a survey at: http://www.ctc.org.uk/survey Please do let me know your views on CTC.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Does this mean that the membership process has been brought in-house, away from the outsourced service that has, rightly, received lots of stick here in the forum in the past?

Rob

Yes.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Survey completed and feelings vented! Thanks for the correction Si.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Rob,
Yes, I’m very pleased to confirm that as part of my focus on members and our membership offering we have brought the membership team in house under my management.

Today’s the team’s first ‘live day’ and allowing the membership team the requisite time to bed in aside, this gives us (me) the ability to react quicker to membership issues as they arise in the future.

Of course it would be wrong of me to comment on the performance of previous membership teams, but I’m aware that with 70,000 members across many membership types, various payment methods and payment periods, issues (large or small) will no doubt arise. My job is clear -to mitigate these and fix them.

All the best
Matt
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done the survey, but I don't want to win the prize of Tifosi CK7 Audax Veloce 2013 worth £989.
I have no use for it, and would sell it if I won it.

Any takers? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just filled it in again.
How many times can I fill this in?
Even if I fill in my membership number and my email address, I can fill it in again!

Just delete the cookies, and do it again, and again, and again, and again.
Is anyone logging this? :lol:

Each time I fill it in, I get another chance to win the Tifosi CK7 Audax Veloce 2013 worth £989. :lol: :lol:

........... or do I?
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

I suspect I'm like many others here:
  • CTC - a bit expensive for proper membership, seems a bit beyond member control, with the result that some parts are good and some are depressing (working against my interests: Nice Way Code and the who-cares-about-off-road-tarmac attitude at various levels);
  • BC - I'm not a racer and I don't want anything to do with Murdoch (and BC seem to omit East Anglia much of the time anyway);
  • Sustrans - not a real membership, often depressing (broad-brush officer outbursts against road bike riders on their paths) and seems a bit much who-cares-about-big-roads.
But I may be different in that I'm a member of the local CycleNation affiliate and that's all. Oh well, its rides are fun!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:........Just delete the cookies, and do it again, and again, and again, and again.......................

Mick - how does one delete cookies?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No doubt you have a PC, so I can't help directly.

With a Mac - and especially if you use Firefox - but it's simple with Safari too - there is a menu item that will show you the cookies on your computer.

Here's mine for now on Safari there are 50 of them at the moment.
Screen shot 2013-10-01 at 19.25.18.png
This is just a little few of them that the screen will show. There's a button to remove them all.

On Firefox you can go to Preferences/Privacy/Show Cookies and you can delete them.

No doubt on a PC all that is available too. It's only a matter of finding it.

Thirdcrank has said on another thread that he get adverts because of links and websites. By deleting cookies it gets rid of all that. I make a point of deleting all my cookies - and browsing history - when I log off. Therefore I have a "clean" computer every day when I switch on.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

JohnW wrote:
Mick F wrote:........Just delete the cookies, and do it again, and again, and again, and again.......................

Mick - how does one delete cookies?

Depends on the browser you use - dig round under "Tools" or similar - some browsers (e.g. Firefox you can delete specified cookies, others you can only delete the lot)

AND a cookie tip : In Firefox you can specify "accept cookie for this session only" (i.e. it deletes when you close the browser) - useful for Travelodge and Ryanair - as examples - because they record info that they've given you and then adjust pricing. Examples : Book a room with Travelodge at price X, go back and book another identical room and cost with be x+ ... BUT close the browser/delete the cookie and then go back to order the second one and price will (usually) be the same as the first. Ryanair - make an enquiry and see a price, go back later and it'll be more - delete cookie and go back ... yep, you've guessed it - back to the lower price.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just filled it in again.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Matt Mallinder ................

I'm no expert at all, but please read this.

In order to conduct a decent online survey, you should get the person asked to identify themselves first - right at the beginning.
This is easy if there is a membership.
Bona fide members are given the full set of questions, and the answers logged against the membership identification.
That way, the member cannot do the survey twice ......... or even more.

If not a member, an email address should be given, and they too can be given questions - maybe slightly different to the questions given to the members. They too cannot answer more than once for the same email address.

Instead, if the person doesn't want to give an email address, the questions will be different yet again.
These answers could be given by the person time and time again if they delete cookies, and the answers taken in that spirit. ie with a pinch of salt.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick - robgul -

Thanks for that - I did it - I won't do it again; a bit cheeky.

However, I had to log in again and remember my password.
meic

Post by meic »

Well, I am glad that I posted here and got that reply from Matt.

When I did my 20 mile ride today, I felt a little "naked" and vulnerable knowing that I was no longer under the CTC umbrella for insurance and support in the case of any run-ins with the motorised fraternity.
Yma o Hyd
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

meic wrote:Well, I am glad that I posted here and got that reply from Matt.

When I did my 20 mile ride today, I felt a little "naked" and vulnerable knowing that I was no longer under the CTC umbrella for insurance and support in the case of any run-ins with the motorised fraternity.

How naked ?.....this naked perhaps :

http://youtu.be/UT4cANHhjd4

..and I see you can still post here even though not a member....interesting and glad you havn't gone away from here too !