Hows your workshop?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Hows your workshop?

Post by al_yrpal »

Visited nearby Nuffield Place today (home of Viscount Nuffield - William Morris - Morris Motors of Oxford MG etc...)

Nuffield Place - home of Wlliam Morris of Morris Motors by Alyrpal, on Flickr

But.... would you dare do this. A perfect little workshop, in a cupboard.... in his bedroom! What would your Mrs say?

Viscount Nuffields workbench - in a cupboard in his bedroom by Alyrpal, on Flickr

This is just as he left it when he died aged 85 in 1963. He gave away £900 million to charity during his lifetime. His foundation is still giving away millions. A wonderful house that is a tribute to a highly talented yet modest English entrepeneur. I love the Phillips Stick a Soles. He obviously spent his money wisely!

Please post interesting pics of your workshops

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ferrit worrier

Re: Hows your workshop?

Post by ferrit worrier »

More like a junk shop at the moment :oops: trying to do too many jobs once, and I'm off next week decorating the dining room :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I prefer to work away from where my sleep, otherwise I get up during the night and fiddle, and find it harder to get to sleep. On a personal note, I received a Nuffield bursary to go on a work placement while I was at school.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I moved into my workshop when the marriage failed till I got my own place. 7 months living in a garden shed led to quite a few 3am projects being started :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Just like Nuffield's: so much lying about there's no bench room to work on anything.

Have we got time for another cuppa?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Audax67 wrote:Just like Nuffield's: so much lying about there's no bench room to work on anything.

That's bigger than my living room/Kitchen :(
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Redvee wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Just like Nuffield's: so much lying about there's no bench room to work on anything.

That's bigger than my living room/Kitchen :(

It's part of a barn. We live in a farming village out in the sticks and houses are an awful lot cheaper than in England or even closer to Strasbourg. At least, they were 25 years ago. This bit was where they used to fettle harness & farm machinery.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am so jealous, mine is the corner of my garage with a 3ft square workbench. Everything is a struggle. I do my woodworking out in the garden.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mine is a newly built "garage" by the house. Still finishing off the actual garage, but it's in use.

Very nice having somewhere under cover to work on things, and having this newfangled "electric light" means I can do things of a winter evening...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Mine is my living room. Or my kitchen.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

AlbionLass wrote:Mine is my living room. Or my kitchen.

Ditto, actually kitchen/living room. I even went to the extent of cutting up an old coffee table to go on the cooker which by some flook fits the curve on the edge of the worktop too.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

^ That's a beautiful workspace you've got there!

At the moment mine's whatever room I lay my toolbox in.... :? Or the manky bike shed....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We bought a house earlier this year, and it happily came with a full cellar. One room in the cellar is a spare kitchen. Another will be my workshop. It's a mess at the moment; full of boxes and wood from remodeling. I hope to put it in order over the winter. I'll post pictures afterwards. I'm quite excited. I've never had a proper workshop before. 8)

The only problem with the cellar is that it's a hard job getting the tandem up and down the stairs :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

When my Mother died I purchased a 3 grand bike workshop, lots of windows and an Opaque roof. Ideal for working on the bikes.
When MrsE saw it she said it was to nice for a bike workshop, so it became ours. I was allowed to work on the bikes in there (when she was out).
Then it became her Conservatory, the dinning table an chairs where put in there. I could just about get a bike in sometimes.
Then we got a dog and she has claimed my workshop. So I am back outside in the rain again.

Somebody suggested getting a garage and I could work in there but then I found out she wants to park a car in it. So I do not think I will bother.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar