Drafting when commuting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Claireysmurf

Drafting when commuting

Post by Claireysmurf »

I don't like drafting or being drafted. I can do it when the need arises such as when riding with friends in to a headwind or when I have been on a velodrome.

On my way home today, I was aware that I was being drafted which made me feel uncomfortable. After about half a mile I made a point of pulling over and stopping. The other cyclist seemed slightly reluctant to pass. I consider being drafted by someone I don't know and haven't invited to draft me to be poor etiquette. Am I being too sensitive?
Mark1978

Re: Drafting when commuting

Post by Mark1978 »

No you're not. If you've waved someone around and they haven't budged then it's just rude.

Different rules apply on the likes of sportives but you don't draft someone random. If you're not fast enough to overtake then hang back a safe distance as you should do in a car.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No you're not being too sensitive.

They are occupying your "space" and that's rude and bad form unless invited or you know them well.

It gives me the creeps just thinking about it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

Thanks
I did try speeding up and slowing down in the half mile or so, and as I pulled over I did say I thought it was rude to draft me but he just looked puzzled.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

+1 with Mark and Mick.

It is rude and annoying.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
martinn

Post by martinn »

When i first started commuting, I occasionally would accidently draft someone, as there were times when although you have caught someone up, you just cant seem to find a safe place to pass or you simply dont have enough power to do so.
Now much fitter(100 miles per week for the past 18 months) I dont draft unless invited to, and then return the favour.

I think its very rude not to take a turn if asked, unless they simply did not know the etiquette?

Martin
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

martinn wrote:I think its very rude not to take a turn if asked, unless they simply did not know the etiquette?

Martin

Not sure. I just know that I didn't want to draft at that moment
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It's not about taking a turn it's about having your safety envelope invaded.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I like being drafted (apparently even that gives some aero benefit) and sometimes I draft. If you don't like it, wave me past and call "go past" and I will. Only if such is signalledand you ddon't is it rude IMO.

As for safety envelope, as long as the drafter doesn't get too close and is ready to swerve when breaking and it doesn't worry me. Wheel sucking is popular in Holland isn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I perceive it to be an aggressive act from an unknown man if I am on my own. Maybe it's different for boys.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

I'm not sure I'd think it was aggressive but it certainly is tailgating which is aggressive behaviour when a car is doing it. We all complain about bad driving and I see this as basically the same - bad cycling. I want a following driver to leave an appropriate gap and be able to stop if I suddenly stop. I would expect the same of a cyclist. I guess if you're riding in a group that's your choice but it's unacceptable for a stranger to endanger you to save himself a bit of effort
mjr

Post by mjr »

Good point. There is a line between drafting and stalking. Don't do it for miles ;-)

There's also a line between drafting and tailgating. Stay back far enough. You don't need to be within 3cm to get some aero benefit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I used to sense when someone was drafting me, I just stop pedaling.
They have the option to go on or come to a stop behind me.
In a car, if someones up my tail pipe I just slow down, they can overtake or drop back.
I have cycled once with another in the last 14 years, for 4-5 hours, he was on JOGLE on his own and I was happy to tow him at times.
I can count the drafters I have had on my tail on one hand in my life.
Even today If someone caught me then they could overtake, why not :?:
I would regard a drafter as a cheat, unless invited.
We all know that a drafter aids the leader too, but thats beside the point, you might as well hook your bungee on to the leaders lugguge rack :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

mjr wrote:Good point. There is a line between drafting and stalking. Don't do it for miles ;-)

There's also a line between drafting and tailgating. Stay back far enough. You don't need to be within 3cm to get some aero benefit.

You could be much further away and yet still be too close to stop. There's a general rule of thumb of two seconds gap when driving a motor vehicle and they can stop quicker than a cyclist at any given speed
meic

Post by meic »

I dont mind people drafting me.

I guess country folk are just a bit more sociable and friendly than city dwellers.

For some reason though people never manage to draft me for long, they either fall behind or get fed up and overtake.
Yma o Hyd