That one hill...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
chris3vic

That one hill...

Post by chris3vic »

Anyone else have that one hill that just seems to win every time?

It doesn't even have to be a steep one. Mine for example, is a short quarter of a mile climb into the town where I live. If I came across it on a weekend ride I wouldn't notice it. I can cycle 80m in one day round North Wales and yes, struggle with some hills, but just get battered by this one. I think its a mental thing. The fact it's so close to home and at the very end of my commute. It doesn't matter how fit I feel or which way the wind's blowing, I always hit this climb with dismay.

When I first started cycling I used how difficult I found the hill as a benchmark for my fitness goals, and its never got any easier!!!! :shock:
eileithyia

Re: That one hill...

Post by eileithyia »

Yep the road to my house.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
meic

Post by meic »

I can think of three such hills, years ago. Now I cycle up them wondering what the problem was.
I know what the problem was, my bottom gear wasnt low enough.
Though the hills would be encountered when approaching home, which would of course be towards the end of a long ride.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a few hills I could describe like that.
It's not the hill specifically, it's just they come at the end of a tiring ride.

I have a circuit I like to do - 30miles and hilly - and I like to ride it hard and fast.
I prefer to do it clockwise ........... because if I do it anti-clockwise the big hills are at the end which is not good at all.

Also, I'm fairly well known for advising on good routes through Cornwall and Devon for LEJOGers. It struck me that I should take some of my own advice. :oops:

I wanted to find a long circuit of 86ish miles, and have fretted about the idea for ages. I finally found one! I have to do it anti-clockwise so that the flatter easier section is the last 30miles. I plan to do the ride every month in furtherance of my Eddington Numbers. 86miles and only 4,500ft of climbing. Luxury!
Mick F. Cornwall
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

there`s a hill on the flat lode trail with loads of rocks across the path on a particulary steep part,I always know its going to stop me and I have toget off and walk!everytime I go up that path I know its going to do it,I walked there and annalized the path to see a way round and think next time....
going to be a while as I`m currently laid up with a busted foot :x at least 3 months!
I`m def too old for this!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Of course; there's one near my house that isn't really steep, and isn't really long at all. However it's always the first bit of incline I hit about 1/4 mile into my ride, so I'm not warmed up at all, so it's always a struggle, the steeper stuff after that; all fine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Mark1978 wrote:Of course; there's one near my house that isn't really steep, and isn't really long at all. However it's always the first bit of incline I hit about 1/4 mile into my ride, so I'm not warmed up at all, so it's always a struggle, the steeper stuff after that; all fine.
Mine's about 1/2 mile from home, but mostly downhill before you hit it :(
"42"
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

squeaker wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Of course; there's one near my house that isn't really steep, and isn't really long at all. However it's always the first bit of incline I hit about 1/4 mile into my ride, so I'm not warmed up at all, so it's always a struggle, the steeper stuff after that; all fine.
Mine's about 1/2 mile from home, but mostly downhill before you hit it :(

Yeah I remember living at my Mam's house and the first mile in every direction was down hill, so you ended up freezing with dead legs just as you started to climb. Then at the end a mile long slog back up the hill.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I've never got up Wrynose from the steep side, ie Langdale side. Admittedly a couple of times this was because it was winter and was a sheet of ice at the top. But I also failed to get up it on a couple of occasions when it wasn't covered in ice, it just proceeds steeply for too long without relent towards the top.

I've never got up that dead-end road from near Coniston that goes to a car park at the bottom of the Walna Scar. It is overhung by trees and there tend to be slippery leaves on it so I lose traction. But it is just stupidly steed for an extended section and I just don't think I could get up it even without that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep, I can vouch for that!

We live in the centre of this lot. A390 Gunnislake.
Screen shot 2013-10-10 at 09.43.51.png
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Been trough Gunnislake twice this year.......in the camper :) I will admit it looks evil.
Your going soft Mick F 4500 in 86 :)
Wots worse living in Gunnislake or always climbing 450' in the last 1 1/2 miles of every ride I do, trouble with living at the top of a round hill :(
Only consilation I can here the puff puff of the Dartmouth steam railway (at the seaside) and see Haytor from my lounge :)
Last hill has to be it every time, sticks in your mind as soon as your on your way home.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Yes. Chesterfield. Whittington Moor to Brimington, the hill that starts at the canal. I'm already 11 miles into my 14 mile commute home, I've been up Prince of Wales Road from Darnall, and I Don't Need This Now.

Come to think of it, Prince of Wales Road virtually starts at the office car park entrance so that's a candidate for this thread as well. Between them they're the biggest deterrent to my cycling to work more often.
Si

Post by Si »

I have a headology hill.

Everyday riding to work and back this his used to reduce me to a blubbering wreck by the top....and I like hills. Now, if I took any of you up it you probably wouldn't notice it...there is nothing special about it. Indeed, when I did LEJoG I took in some pretty big hills, I also went up this hill on the ride. The big hills were hard work but I enjoyed them, but my local 'nothing' hill turned me into jelly again.

I think that it is because this was the big hard hill when I returned to cycling as a very unfit adult....although now I easily have the fitness to zip up it, I still have the mental scars and the trauma from when I was unfit. Once a hill has burrowed into your brain it's hard to remove it.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The hill I mentioned above, is actually a 'go around' hill for one which is slightly steeper, I'd avoided going up the steeper hill for the best part of a year, always taking the alternative route up; just riding down it. When I eventually plucked up the courage to ride up it, thinking it would be a bottom gear job - in the end I didn't even need to shift out of the big ring - it turned out to be nothing!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

St Bartholemews' Road, St Anns, Nottingham, otherwise known as Donkey Hill, as you needed a donkey to get up it. Fortunately circumstances mean that I don't have to try to cycle up it any more!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin