Netbook for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Netbook for touring

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Did a quick search in this forum for advice on a netbook for touring.
Last entry was in March and referred to a Nexus 7.
With Xmas and my birthday coming up, any thoughts folks on something small I can tuck into my pannier but use to enter a blog, Skype, and maybe watch a movie?
Thanks
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mjr

Re: Netbook for touring

Post by mjr »

Netbooks seem to be unfashionable just now. An Android tablet, Bluetooth keyboard and good case will probably be a better deal at the moment.

Oh and Microsoft Skype stinks. Why do you want NSA and GCHQ snooping? Go for one of the many webrtc services.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

mjr wrote:Netbooks seem to be unfashionable just now. An Android tablet, Bluetooth keyboard and good case will probably be a better deal at the moment.

Oh and Microsoft Skype stinks. Why do you want NSA and GCHQ snooping? Go for one of the many webrtc services.

Thanks. I had been thinking of a tablet rather than a netbook. But wanted to open up all,possibilities and opinions.
Skype? Tell,more, please.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Daniel Fox

Post by Daniel Fox »

Typing this on a Nexus 7. It's a very nice tablet which runs Android. Downloads programmes from BBC iPlayer before you leave home to watch where you have no WiFi. If you have WiFi then watch Netflixs or other services. I haven't used it touring on a bike but I really like it. Much cheaper than an iPad mini with more memory.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Skype was part of the PRISM scandal whistleblown by Edward Snowdon. There's a campaign called PRISM Break to promote alternative tools, including not registering android devices with Google. Search on something like http://ddg.gg or http://ixquick.com for the full info but it's a bit off topic here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
lisap

Post by lisap »

I used to take a net book with me on tour but it was just to big with all the leads and chargers so I finally took the plunge and splashed out on an IPad mini.

It fits perfectly into my Ortlieb bar bag and I have just spent a very happy 8 weeks touring in the US using free wifi wherever it was available.
sjs

Post by sjs »

I also experimented with a netbook on tour and found it too big and heavy. Have now gone to the opposite extreme with a Nexus 4 smartphone, thinking it would be as good as a Nexus 7, but smaller (and working as a phone as well, of course). It is, kind of, but is very picky about which bluetooth peripherals it will work with. It also does not support USB OTG or have a card slot, so it's hard to get data out of it and onto an SD card, for instance to use in a GPS. If I'd done my research properly I would probably have gone for a Galaxy.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

sjs wrote:I also experimented with a netbook on tour and found it too big and heavy. Have now gone to the opposite extreme with a Nexus 4 smartphone, thinking it would be as good as a Nexus 7, but smaller (and working as a phone as well, of course). It is, kind of, but is very picky about which bluetooth peripherals it will work with. It also does not support USB OTG or have a card slot, so it's hard to get data out of it and onto an SD card, for instance to use in a GPS. If I'd done my research properly I would probably have gone for a Galaxy.

What model Galaxy? And a 5 inch screen for typing up a blog, OK?
Nexus has the 7 inch screen. But as you say, no SD card slot.

Anything with a 7 inch screen and a card slot?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

sjs

Post by sjs »

matt2matt2002 wrote:What model Galaxy? And a 5 inch screen for typing up a blog, OK?

I was still thinking smartphones, so an S4, probably, which I think has a card slot. But for significant amounts of typing a tablet would be better. The Nexus 7 doesn't have a card slot but it does support USB, so you could attach a USB card reader.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

sjs wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:What model Galaxy? And a 5 inch screen for typing up a blog, OK?

I was still thinking smartphones, so an S4, probably, which I think has a card slot. But for significant amounts of typing a tablet would be better. The Nexus 7 doesn't have a card slot but it does support USB, so you could attach a USB card reader.

Thanks.I will follow that up.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I have a Nexus 7 tablet & just for the hell of it I connected a small folding keyboard via bluetooth and a mouse via the usb connection (the USB uses a service called OTG - you can connect caard readers and memory sticks in this way to).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
sjs

Post by sjs »

bikes4two wrote:I have a Nexus 7 tablet & just for the hell of it I connected a small folding keyboard via bluetooth and a mouse via the usb connection (the USB uses a service called OTG - you can connect caard readers and memory sticks in this way to).

That's what I thought I'd be able to do with the Nexus 4 phone, but you can't; it doesn't support USB OTG, except via a lot of hacking.
RickH

Post by RickH »

andrew_s wrote:A Fonepad?

+1 for the Fonepad, I'm using one to type this. It also means you don't need to carry a separate phone (but does look a bit "Dom Jolly" as a phone held to your ear! :? ) as it does all the phone side of things too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

If cost is no objection then take a look at the Sony Xperia Z Ultra.