Netbook for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Barrenfluffit

Re: Netbook for touring

Post by Barrenfluffit »

I think your list is maybe a little modest; smart phones can use the web so stuff like topping up currency cards, checking bank balances and looking up train details is possible. Also using it as a music player, radio, camera, book. The Galaxy s3 has a microSD card and replaceable batteries ( eg a high capacity or spare ) but I don't have any experience re durability.

The main limitation is perhaps that the size is a bit small for the possibilities; screen is usable but sometimes needs a bit more scrolling than is ideal. Onscreen keyboard is too small for extensive typing. But a small separate keyboard would deal with most of the input issues and you'd still get a reduced size / weight.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have just got a new second generation Nexus 7, it is marvellous, the screen is fantastic, its really quick too. I like being able to easily connect it to my Panasonic LF1 camera. Its wonderful how Tablets hold their value, after I bought it I sold my old HTC Flyer for £87 which is only £113 less than I paid for it just under 2 years ago.

However, I think I would choose a smartphone, something like a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini for touring for its portability, small size, weight and ease of taking it into the pub, shops and attractions.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

No mention of battery life here I see.

I took an ASUS netbook on tour for many years. Yes it's a little heavy but the battery lasted all tour and could even be used to charge other devices.

I bought the old Nexus 7 as I thought it might be lighter. However battery life is not good and aside from being a little bigger than my Samsung S3 it has no other advantages. It also means I have two devices to keep charged.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

brianleach wrote:No mention of battery life here I see.

I took an ASUS netbook on tour for many years. Yes it's a little heavy but the battery lasted all tour and could even be used to charge other devices.

I bought the old Nexus 7 as I thought it might be lighter. However battery life is not good and aside from being a little bigger than my Samsung S3 it has no other advantages. It also means I have two devices to keep charged.

Chuffing heck. I've got a 6-cell battery in my Mini 10v and that last four and a bit hours (although of course these things depend on whether you are using wifi etc). More modern netbooks also presumably have better batteries and longer battery life - Apple claim something like 9 hours for their MaBook Air.

A tablet has the advantage of only needing a USB charger so the same charger will charge the phone and the tablet. It's probably a good idea to carry a powerpack (eg from TeckNet - although yes this negates some of the weight advantage).
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I took my MacBook Air on my trip to Greece. The only problem with it was that it did not like the summer heat and I remember the fan blowing hard and even shutting the machine down altogether when it got hot.

I figured it worked best in the evenings or in the cool of an air-conditioned room ! It did not like working in a tent in Italy in August !
cjs

Post by cjs »

matt2matt2002 wrote:.......referred to a Nexus 7.
With Xmas and my birthday coming up, any thoughts folks on something small I can tuck into my pannier but use to enter a blog, Skype, and maybe watch a movie?
Thanks
Matt

I have used both Nexus 7 and Asus Netbook on tour. Everyone has views but all personal circumstances are different.

If you intend to type a lot get a netbook - your budget will dictate processor and battery life. My Asus is good in all respects but for me, the Nexus is hard to beat when on the road (camping)

I use a separate simple phone, Etrex GPS & a Pan FZ200 camera that I use exclusively in RAW. The Nexus suits me well for for reading books, trip diary (handwritten - well finger written or traced really) reviewing RAW photos in more detail, music player, maps, occasionally GPS with bigger screen and of course voice calls home email etc from free WiFi when available.

There are plenty of good free or low cost apps around...

Battery life is good but of course you need to exercise correct power control - wifi , brightness, headphones rather than speaker etc..

Sent on Nexus :)

YMMV...
Kind Regards
Chris...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Typing this on my Nexus 7/2 on tour in Taiwan at the moment.

I am very pleased with it. Thought about a netbook a few years ago, but too heavy. Glad I waited. It is a bit of a compromise, but can do all I need. If typing a lot maybe an add on keyboard, but then you start to defeat point of light and small. I have a neoprene case to keep it safe.

Re phone - where will you be going? If travelling long haul and you speak a lot, many find local sim best. Just take a small old mobile phone and get new sim as needed. Keeping a small phone with you is better than having to take your tablet out when you want to make a call.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have yet to take the tablet plunge but will do soon.

Have checked out the Nexus 7 and it looked very nice.

But I also checked out the new Tesco Hudl the other day - none in stock as theere's been a rush but to me it seemed perfectly well built. Have also read a lot of good reviews of it in the techpress.

Significantly Cheaper than the Nexus 7 and it DOES have a card slot.

Can someone simple explain USB OTG to me?

Clearly just having a mini USB port isn't enough to guarantee connection.

Does the Tesco Hudl support USB OTG?

My main reason for my inteerest in connectivity will be getting stuff from the tablet to my Etrex 20.

I will get a 7 inch model for reasons of packability.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Theres a lot to be said for a windows 8 tablet (pro version not RT!). All drivers etc work straight away so you can just plug your garmin straight in and transfer data between devices with no hastle, websites work on any of the browsers you want to run, battery life is decent, and the one I have (a Dell Latitude 10) can be charged from a micro USB. It is windows though, so some people may be put off! ;)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

It is windows though, so some people may be put off!

Each to his own I say and I'm glad you get on with it.

I had a Windows Phone about two years ago using the equivalent of Windows 8 and it drove me mad. I persevered for about a month but then sold it at a huge loss so not for me thank you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Portland, with a Nexus 7 you get a mini usb to full size usb cable with it. The Nexus 7s screen is to be seen to be believed. Currently the best screen on any tablet. Being a Google related tablet it should keep pace with Googles Android operating system longer than other tablets. Amazons and Tescos tablets are dedicated to encouraging you to buy more from them and could possibly have difficulty as Android progresses. Something that eventually made me move on from my HTC Flyer.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
honesty

Post by honesty »

brianleach wrote:
It is windows though, so some people may be put off!

Each to his own I say and I'm glad you get on with it.

I had a Windows Phone about two years ago using the equivalent of Windows 8 and it drove me mad. I persevered for about a month but then sold it at a huge loss so not for me thank you.

Windows 8 and windows phone are very different beasts. Windows 8 is a full operating system that has a desktop and can be used exactly like windows 7 if wanted. Windows phone is the phone operating system and has some, err... foibles...
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Found a picture of my MacBook Air !

Updating blog on Crazyguyonabike, handling pictures, online banking, email and mapping. I still use it now and updated the operating system to mountain lion a few months ago.

Date: 16 August 2011
Place: GPS: N 45 29.75, E 010 30.660
Campsite on Lake Garda, Italy.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Portland, with a Nexus 7 you get a mini usb to full size usb cable with it. The Nexus 7s screen is to be seen to be believed. Currently the best screen on any tablet. Being a Google related tablet it should keep pace with Googles Android operating system longer than other tablets. Amazons and Tescos tablets are dedicated to encouraging you to buy more from them and could possibly have difficulty as Android progresses. Something that eventually made me move on from my HTC Flyer.

Al

Thanks for the reply Al - Sweep (formerly Portland :) ) here.

Good to know that the Hudl comes with the mini to standard USB connector.

But will that mean I can transfer stuff OK to the Etrex? -I had the impressioon that software needs to be taken into account, not just physical connectivity?

My understanding of the Hudl by the way is that it is straight unadapted Android (I know the Amazon version has been messed around with) and that the only Tesco branding that will remain on the interface is a single virtual button - the reviews I have read suggest that this is no problem at all.
Sweep
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

It all depends what you need the device for. I have a Galaxy notes 2 which has a 2 GB of RAM and a 64GB micro SD card for data. The screen is 5.5" and works very well with internet. The new Galaxy notes 3 is out now which is even better.

The device can give you internet access, music player, video player, camera, video recorder, phone, game player.....

Battery: you can either get yourself a battery charger pack (TeckNet), I got one from amazon for about £19 that gives me 4 or 5 charges and works perfectly for me. Alternatively, you can buy a few phone replacement batteries and carry them with you. It takes 30 seconds to change the battery.

The Galaxy note 2 is a brilliant device.