How was your storm?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

Re: How was your storm?

Post by ferrit worrier »

left home at 0420 this morning, mild, no rain, no more wind than usual. A bit of light rain by the time I got to work 0445. opened the door to the plant room on top of the building about 0530 and there was a good shower coming down. around mid day it poured down. The river Mersey is up quite a bit, just ridden home in sunshine. I'm looking out of the patio window and there's one big black cloud up there :roll: I should go and tidy the workshop. but I think I'll go in the loft and play trains :D

Looks like we got away lightly.

Take care guys

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Si

Post by Si »

Set out half an hour early as I had to ride into torrential rain and 80mph head winds.

Arrived at work half an hour early, virtually dry and wondering where the winds were.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not much, round here. One tree down on the main road into town which passes close to our house (back in 1987 there were about 50 trees down on that same road, and the road was impassable). This one tree was blocking about half the road width, making it awkward for traffic. No-one seemed to be doing a blind thing about it, so my wife and I, out for a walk this morning, started tugging at the smaller branches to get them off the road. As if by magic, several other guys suddenly appeared on the scene, one armed with a chainsaw, another with a leaf-blower, and by our combined efforts the road was very quickly cleared.

Something here about ''starting the ball rolling'', or not wanting to be the first to volunteer, I reckon.... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Well it seems to have ignored this part of Wild West Wales.
No overnight rain and didn't hear any wind at all.
A glorious day here with one odd shower this afternoon.

I must admit I was thinking of Mick F and the other guys down in the SW when I watched the news this morning, so glad all are apparently OK.

Incidentally the wind was much worse here yesterday morning. Pedalling downhill on a 1:5 and managed about 8 mph!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Spent yesterday up in North Yorks, got blown up a hill and had to pedal back down it into the horrific wind and rain..... in fact some riders walked some of the descent it was so dreadful. Wind abated as we drove home, and no worse than most Lancashire wet n windy days here today....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
binsted

Post by binsted »

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Thats next years log supply sorted :D :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Erm, some drizzle here...

My android weather forecast doesn't show wind, so I really didn't notice the news...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Has there been a storm? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not here, but it rained a lot.
Off out for a ride shortly, as the sun is shining, but I don't trust it at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I was out riding my usual Sunday night commute. Involving a 5 mile ride to Newcastle Central and then 3 hours later a 28 mile ride from Glasgow Queen St to the Clyde Naval Base on the Gareloch.

The Scottish bit of the journey was perhaps the wettest ride I've ever had. Through Glasgow and on to Helensburgh wasn't too bad but once I was fully exposed to the weather on the Helensburgh sea front my speed was dropped to <10mph and the rain was nothing like I've ever been out in before. I'm considering a cape now, something I've not used for over 20 years.

My collogues think that I am barking mad for using the train rather than driving, nevermind getting off in Glasgow and cycling 28 miles. I love that ride though, setting off at 2100 on Sunday night I'm riding when everything is quiet and still and have the roads almost to myself.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I commuted up the Gareloch for a few years.
We lived in Helensburgh then and it threw it down from late Sept right until Christmas. I was soaked through every single day both ways. It even snowed that Christmas.

By the time we bought a house over to Balloch in the Jan (1983) the weather became a little drier. That summer there was a drought and Loch Lomond was lower than at any time in living memory.

You couldn't make it up!
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

What's this about a Storm? We must have missed it up here in wildest Aberdeenshire. It did get down to 1.5 degrees on the way to work this morning though, and ice on the windscreen for the first time this autumn.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Rigamortiz

Post by Rigamortiz »

It was a rather pleasant storm in the midlands... A bit of rain, not even too much rain.
I took the car instead of the bike as the girlfriend was worried, but it was nothing worse than I've cycled in recently. Still, at least I didn't get soaked through on the way to work!
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

In Kent I thought it wasn't too bad, but then I'm in town. Today I went for a ride around the Cuxton/Cobham/ Meopham area and was surprised by the number of trees that had come down.There was even a telegraph pole that had snapped. I went down three lanes that were closed because of trees across the road. Two fallen trees I had to climb over, dragging my bike. Every cloud has a silver lining though. There were no cars to watch out for!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I went for a 35 mile ride after lunch up and down the Hog's Back in West Surrey and the sky was blue, the roads were clear and it was very mild.