dynohub designed for 20" wheels in a 28" wheel size?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RC

dynohub designed for 20" wheels in a 28" wheel size?

Post by RC »

Dear all, I have an old Schmidt dynohub designed for use in my 20" wheel touring bike. I'm using this bike less and less and I wanted to ask your advice about whether this hub would work in a larger wheel (700c). The power output will be less for a given speed I guess, but does this matter with modern LED lights now? I'm rubbish at building wheels so will have to take the hub to my local bike shop which will cost a few quid, any ideas if this will work?

Thanks for any advice!
Mr. Viking

Re: dynohub designed for 20" wheels in a 28" wheel size?

Post by Mr. Viking »

The larger wheel will rotate at 70% the rate of the smaller wheel for any given speed. This means that the light will not reach full brightness until a slightly higher speed. In my experience with dynamos they reach full brightness slightly above walking pace so this shouldn't be an issue. I've only used bottle dynamos, but I can't see how a dynohub would be any different
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Schmidt 20R dynohub was originally specified for 20" wheels, but now is approved for 700c to the German industry standards .....they are more than good enough for LED lights.....http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s133p1093
meic

Post by meic »

It is a popular "trick" with faster riders. The dynamo is built to meet the German regulations that want adequate light output at just above walking pace. Fitting a 20" type hub will mean that you have a lower resistance at any given speed but if you are a faster cyclist you will easily be producing enough power for your lights.

Tourers on the other hand tend to be a bit slower and often want extra electricity production for charging their toys. So they wouldnt want to use the lower power hubs.
Yma o Hyd
RC

Post by RC »

That's great! Thank you for your replies. I'm going to use it just for a front LED light, with a back up flashing front light for visability.
Cheers