Fixing a puncture on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pedalpower2

Re: Fixing a puncture on the road

Post by pedalpower2 »

I've tried fitting tyre and tube together, it didn't work well so I don't do it anymore.
My system with punctures like several others is to fit a spare and mend at home in batches. I also carry Park glueless patches for the emergency when you run out of spare tubes. They are excellent and weigh grams and occupy very little space.
Some of the writers must have too muchmoney if they ditch a tube without mending it. Mine don't get binned with fewer than 12 patches on.
Pedalpower2
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'll bin an inner if it has anything too big to cover with one small patch - a straight tear or snakebite for example (unless I can cover the snakebite with two patches). I don't feel comfortable riding an inner with a large tear which has been patched: the patch will never be as strong as the original.

Having said that, I do recall, many years ago, picking up a six inch nail which impaled my tyre, going in one side and out the other (would have made splendid imagery for a Hammer Horror movie, come to think of it :shock: ). I had patches but no spare, and I was miles from home: somehow (can't recall how) I managed to patch it up sufficient to get home on low pressure. But that was most definitely a one-off.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

eileithyia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCDEAYn8rQ Never complain again..

Now that is something else! Wow. Hats off to him! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gearoidmuar

I haven't read the whole thread..

Post by Gearoidmuar »

but most of it and I haven't seen the fiendish trick I've used on a couple of occasions.

You've a puncture, your spare(s) are used, your puncture repair kit is deficient…

As long as the puncture isn't near the valve (mostly, it won't be) tie off the punctured sector by tying the tube around it in a tight knot, stretch, insert and inflate. It will get you home. If you leave it for a couple of hundred miles or more, it will wear a hole in itself.

Another trick, now I've mentioned that one. If your pump rubber has worn such that it no longer makes a seal with the valve, thereby stopping inflation, wrap a leave around the valve, then push the pump on. I've done this once (I invented this one myself on the spur of the moment)
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Great tips!

I've stopped repairing punctures by the roadside unless it's a nice warm day and I'm in no hurry. Now I mostly just pull the old tube out, check the tyre for sharps and throw in my spare tube. I even use CO2 on occasion! :shock: Especially so if I'm on a club ride or it's raining/freezing as I want to be back riding and not holding up the group. Unless it's a monster tear I'll patch the tube at home and put it back in the tyre straight away. That way the new, unpatched tube can go back in my saddle bag.

I'll throw a tube once it has 3 or 4 patches I guess. Sure they could probably last a lot more patch jobs but I lose a little faith in them after a couple of punctures.
Last edited by easyroller on 6 Nov 2013, 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

easyroller wrote:
eileithyia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCDEAYn8rQ Never complain again..

Now that is something else! Wow. Hats off to him! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, he did take his hat off ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.