banned with my bike from daughter's school

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Yogactive

Re: banned with my bike from daughter's school

Post by Yogactive »

This is the school side entrance (the wooden frame) where I enter you see how far I push my cycle in till the metal fence...
Attachments
IMG_9477.JPG
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

Here is my bike causing disturbance on the school grounds...
Attachments
IMG_9491.JPG
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

You still haven't answered the question of what you do with your bike once you've 'parked' it, do you walk your daughter into the school leaving the bike unattended?

If so that could well be the issue, as a bike propped up against railings can easily fall over if disturbed.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It would only take a moment to bungie the bike to the railings.
meic

Post by meic »

It looks in the second picture as if the entrance to the yard is fairly narrow, is there a chance of children trying to go through at the same time as the bike and getting gouged by the pedals?

I wouldnt take my child out of the child seat at those railings without bungeeing it to them first. The bike not the child. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Please don't be offended but that bike, unless it is secured to the railings is not safe. It could very easily fall over, either as a result of just a gust of wind, you lifting your daughter out of it or another child touching it. I doubt the head is complaining about you pushing the bike through the playground - although if it is very crowded there could be a risk of fingers getting trapped in spokes - but the risk of it falling on someone if left unattended is high enough for her concerns to be justified. Remember, it is the school which would be sued, they might then try and reclaim the costs from you but they are responsible for children on the premises. It is also not impossible other parents may have made complaints and to avoid confrontation the head has not mentioned that yet.

Of course if they had some dedicated cycle facilities it might be different, but they don't yet so I suggest concentrate your energies on getting those created rather than trying to claim what you see as your rights and risk alienating the school and possibly some parents.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

Yogactive wrote:Here is the area where I dismount my daughter from the bike

thats terrible!an accident ready to happen :roll:
I know our daughters`previous school had no facilities for cycling to school and IMHO the teachers don`t set a good example to good health and fitness anyway...
I`m def too old for this!
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

the bike is not left unattended as I only take my daughter of it while I hold it against the rail then holding my bike wait for her to go into class. I left it unattended to take pictures for you guys.. there is no risk of falling- as I am holding it all the time - School side entrance is normal entry point- no alleyway- double buggies block it more at entry than me. The head's issue is my pushing the bike into the school ground.
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

I have discussed the bike issue with many parents and they do not understand the headteacher's complaint against me- they are very supportive- but obviously don't want to get involved . o I have lots of extremely positive feedbacks about cycling to school- many mums are saying I am inspirational and some started to cycle in once a week (during summer)other mum asked me to go to cycle with her sometimes when kids are in school. children say: awesome- mummy I want a bike too!
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

meic wrote:It looks in the second picture as if the entrance to the yard is fairly narrow, is there a chance of children trying to go through at the same time as the bike and getting gouged by the pedals?
:lol:

I am always very polite and let anyone pass through- even if I arrive first- I am not one of those who wants to barge through before everyone else.
meic

Post by meic »

Yes but children have a habit of running blindly into things. A buggy even a double one is collision friendly, a cycle isnt. There are pedals that stick out and can be sharp, oily chains with sharp teeth on the rings and rotating spokes.

In the present child safety obsessed climate where that playground has probably been removed of anything more dangerous than a soft fluffy ball, I think the Headmistress has an adequate case for a cautionary ban on bringing bikes in, if she wishes.

There is an issue that cyclists are seen as "low hanging fruit" or "an easy target" and she wouldnt have the courage to take on the motoring parents but that doesnt make her case against the cycle invalid.

If I was the Head then my personal judgement would be to allow the cycle in but may be that was why I never made into a Headmaster.
Yma o Hyd
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Yogactive wrote:the bike is not left unattended as I only take my daughter of it while I hold it against the rail then holding my bike wait for her to go into class. I left it unattended to take pictures for you guys.. there is no risk of falling- as I am holding it all the time - School side entrance is normal entry point- no alleyway- double buggies block it more at entry than me. The head's issue is my pushing the bike into the school ground.

That's a different matter then, I don't see an issue if you are with the bike at all times.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

OK, you have 3 arms, two to lift your daughter out and one to hold the bike. But more seriously, if you want a fight go for it but it may all end in tears and they may not be yours. I would get a descent kickstand for your bike plus a lock and unload the bike outside the school on the pavement.
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

[quote="meic"]Yes but children have a habit of running blindly into things.[quote="meic"]

yes children headbutt each-other, children fall flat on their face on the playground on daily basis only because they are running around all the time- smashing into a buggy can be just as painful and in 15 months on the school grounds I have never caused any type of injuries. If we live in a what if world people should not even step out their front doors... there is no INCREASED risk only normal risk- like when kids are scootering around like crazy on the sidewalk and they bump into every pedestrian or even dogs...
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

tbh as long as the bike is attended at all times I don't see any issues whatsoever. I think it stems from the general attitude in society that bicycles are "dangerous".