Waterproof Jacket recommendations.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
crossroads

Waterproof Jacket recommendations.

Post by crossroads »

I am looking at getting a waterproof jacket to wear all the time for my 6 mile commute during the winter (not just to put on when it rains). I want one that wont make me to hot and sweaty but also be reliably waterproof and last a good few years. Not overly worried about price though the cheaper the better.
Not sure if such an item exists but would welcome any recommendations.
profpointy

Re: Waterproof Jacket recommendations.

Post by profpointy »

For the use you envisage, i'd not get a waterproof coat at all, but instead get one of the windproof fleecy jackets - which are somewhat rain resistant, and keep you warm when wet. With a synthetic vesty thing underneath you'll not feel wet and will be much more comfy. Altura do a good nightvision one (fleece, not the rainproof one which looks the same) for £50 (a few years ago), and apthe Assos 851 is a bit better / nicer and a good bit dearer even on special offer. No doubt others are made by the usual manufacturers, but i can vouch for the above 2.

For everyday rather than bike use, Paramo is by some way the best, but they don't to my knowledge do one in a bike friendly shape - though the smock one might do I suppose. Paramo knocks goretex into a cocked hat - and i've generally been underwhelmed by the gortex hype over the years having owned a couple
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I used a Buffalo wind shirt for all weathers with a base layer or two underneath. I used the same jacket setup for long kayak trips inland and on the sea. After 14 years use the jacket is stained and a bit ragged but still works. I also have a goretex jacket which aways produces a sweat but I only use it because it is high vis.
loafer

Post by loafer »

Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I have one of these http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/runnin ... &cl=YELLOW an excellent jacket for the price. On a very wet Audax event last December, I was the only one dry at the end. A friend wearing a coat costing twice as much was soaked through. I must admit it was also very cold so I didn't sweat much
'Kernow bys Vyken'
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

That jacket from mountain warehouse looks great, especially as it as pit zips which I find invaluable to stop sweating too much. Reviews are positive too.
monkeytennis

Post by monkeytennis »

I really like the Night Vision EVO from Alturo. Nice and warm for winter but lots of vents to prevent getting too hot!
Martyn B

Post by Martyn B »

I endorse profpointy's viewpoint on Paramo, which i consider to be one of THE top brands when it comes to outdoor clothing. During the last few winters (and on the not-so-warm summer days!) I've been wearing a Velez smock, which has proved to be waterproof, windproof and very warm. Last weekend I purchased a Paramo 'Quito' jacket, which is somewhat lighter and less bulky than the Velez and absolutely perfect for cycling. I've worn it twice this week on the days when I've used the bike to commute, and in true Paramo style it's performed well in the wind and rain.

The down-side is the cost of Paramo clothing. It's not cheap, but it wears extremely well, and more importantly performs extremely well. I guess that the old adage 'you get what you pay for..' applies here. I suppose it's less crucial to have quality gear if you're only commuting a couple of miles, but mine is about 55 minutes each way (+/- 14 miles) and for me that's a long time to be cold, wet and miserable!

Another plus side of the Paramo brand is that they will do repairs if you should be unfortunate enough to hit the deck and damage your coat - a few years back I was wearing my Paramo mountaineering jacket whilst knocking about the town on my bike, when I came off on a patch of diesel - I trashed one sleeve fairly badly, and contacted them about doing a repair, which they more than willingly undertook. I seem to recall it cost about £20.00 and the turn-around was about a week.

I don't work for Paramo, by the way!!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

samsbike wrote:That jacket from mountain warehouse looks great, especially as it as pit zips which I find invaluable to stop sweating too much. Reviews are positive too.

I got one just the other day and am delighted with it. It's already proved its worth in some heavy downpours and I find it very comfortable to wear.
georgew

Post by georgew »

Martyn B wrote:I endorse profpointy's viewpoint on Paramo, which i consider to be one of THE top brands when it comes to outdoor clothing. During the last few winters (and on the not-so-warm summer days!) I've been wearing a Velez smock, which has proved to be waterproof, windproof and very warm. Last weekend I purchased a Paramo 'Quito' jacket, which is somewhat lighter and less bulky than the Velez and absolutely perfect for cycling. I've worn it twice this week on the days when I've used the bike to commute, and in true Paramo style it's performed well in the wind and rain.

The down-side is the cost of Paramo clothing. It's not cheap, but it wears extremely well, and more importantly performs extremely well. I guess that the old adage 'you get what you pay for..' applies here. I suppose it's less crucial to have quality gear if you're only commuting a couple of miles, but mine is about 55 minutes each way (+/- 14 miles) and for me that's a long time to be cold, wet and miserable!

Another plus side of the Paramo brand is that they will do repairs if you should be unfortunate enough to hit the deck and damage your coat - a few years back I was wearing my Paramo mountaineering jacket whilst knocking about the town on my bike, when I came off on a patch of diesel - I trashed one sleeve fairly badly, and contacted them about doing a repair, which they more than willingly undertook. I seem to recall it cost about £20.00 and the turn-around was about a week.

I don't work for Paramo, by the way!!

+1
The fact that these waterproofs can be refurbished using Nikwax by the owner is a huge advantage also. Pop it in the washing machine with some of this and it's as good as new.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Jeez, looking at the prices they make Rapha look cheap........
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

crossroads wrote:I am looking at getting a waterproof jacket to wear all the time for my 6 mile commute during the winter (not just to put on when it rains). I want one that wont make me to hot and sweaty but also be reliably waterproof and last a good few years. Not overly worried about price though the cheaper the better.
Not sure if such an item exists but would welcome any recommendations.

"Reliably waterproof"-Definition of oxymoron? :lol: (Apart from a Belstaf Black Prince i had :D )

Seriously though,i know you say jacket but have you considered a cape for the heavy rain?
They do seem to be a Marmite thing though.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Very pleased with my Showers Pass jacket - coped admirably in 20 miles of downpour yesterday. UK dealer list, UK distributor.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've been very pleased with the performance of the 2 original (rather than Evo) Altura Night Vision jackets I have - The older one (black 2008ish) is still working fine apart from a couple of minor failures in the adjustments - bottom elastic & 1 wrist closure. I bought a newer, orange one and the fit is different (less my shape - particularly in terms of being narrower at the shoulders) compared to the older one so try one before you buy if you want to consider one. They seem to be relatively breathable, helped by the yoke venting and underarm zips and the mesh lining also helps with comfort if worn with just a t-shirt underneath when the weather is a bit warmer. Cost is reasonable - they seem to be going for around £60-65 at the moment.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tortoise

Re: Paramo

Post by Tortoise »

I have been attracted to Paramo by their reputation and user reports but I've resisted buying because my experience of other allegedly waterproof garments that rely on Nikwax for their water resistance has been very poor, viz. they just leak profusely!

Perhaps I just need to take a chance and try Paramo?