If I was on the wrong bike today...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gloomyandy

If I was on the wrong bike today...

Post by gloomyandy »

This thought passed through my mind as I slid along the black ice covered road for the second time this morning*

I was on my road bike which has 700x23c GP4000s on it, my touring bike, has 700x40c Marathon Supremes on it. Would I have been less likely to take a slide on my touring bike? I wasn't the only one to fall on this ice. two of my club mates also fell at the same points (at different times) and two other riders hit the deck despite me trying to warn them! All of this was on the way to my club ride meeting point. The numbers were rather down today!

*Ok perhaps that wasn't my first thought, and yes I am a slow learner!
jags

Re: If I was on the wrong bike today...

Post by jags »

make no difference if you hit ice your down simples.hope your ok be carefull in winter cycling.
coast 2 coast

Post by coast 2 coast »

You need a tricycle.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ICE tyres, or more wheels...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The ones that didn't turn up were the wise ones :wink:
Black ice takes no prisoners,stay off it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:The ones that didn't turn up were the wise ones :wink:
Black ice takes no prisoners,stay off it!

Or make sure it's in a safe place (closed off car park for instance) and have fun on three wheels :)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

ice is sort of ok if you don`t see it..once you say oh no ice you fall
cyling to work one frosty morning hit ice,said ah ice next second lying with my bike on top of me in a bush :roll:
I`m def too old for this!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Wider, and therefore softer, tyres will help, as will tyres with a more suitable rubber compound.
I used to stay up OK on 28mm Conti 4 Seasons when others fell over. Most of it is being suitably careful - slow, minimal cornering, minimal braking, nothing to upset the balance such as looking behind, until you get over the icy bit, combined by paying enough attention to spot the ice before falling over (no gossiping).

Using the touring bike with Marathon Winter spike tyres would most fall-off resistant. You will find them fairly heavy & slow though. Conti Top Contact Winter are a considerably better ride and fairly good, but aren't spiked.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm a wuss.
Looked out the window yesterday, saw the car iced up and damp roads. Just right for black ice. Add that to a strong, really low sun, blinding motorists that can't see you on a good day means that I cancelled my club run. Instead I had a nice leisurely breakfast and settled for going out for a run/jog at 11am.
I came off last week. The council had mown the grass verges. They must use big flymos with no grass box. The wet grass gets blown into the gutters and paths. As I turned a corner the back wheel just slid out and I was on the deck.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

A tricycle sounds like the best bet! Didn't see the ice at all (nor did the other 4 riders that fell at the same spot!). Even close up it was hard to spot. One of the people I managed to stop, got off the bike just ahead of it and then promptly slipped over while pushing his bike over to the pavement!

I think overall staying in bed a little longer would definitely been the best option. Still looking on the bright side, I now get to learn how to replace a rear mech hanger (bent in the slide), and perhaps how to use an alignment gauge. Not too much damage done to me mainly bruises and a few cuts. My bib tights did a good job in protecting me, but have suffered a little as a result.

Kind of makes you very nervous afterwards though. I was very careful riding home, and one of my club mates insisted on walking down a couple of hills (can't say I blame him, he ended up with some very nasty looking road rash).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Was pretty icy yesterday, especially before noon. Took my GP4000S off and replaced them with GP 4 Seasons, still 23mm, was mostly ok but there were a few times where my back wheel was slipping a bit on steepish climbs, which kind of gets your attention, as if you're clipped in and you suddenly lose drive on a climb you're going down unless you're super quick with the unclip!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

So are GP 4 seasons notably better then GP4000s on winter roads, or are they just more durable?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

gloomyandy wrote:So are GP 4 seasons notably better then GP4000s on winter roads, or are they just more durable?

Hard to say as I changed wheels at the same time so don't know how much of the difference was down to the wheels and how much down to the tyres.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I don't think it makes any difference, some years ago our whole club run came down on black ice. No major injuries, but we all ended up in a big heap :shock: best not to go out if it looks risky :roll:
Power to the pedals
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Ice? Studded tires.