Skyride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Re: Skyride

Post by Mark1978 »

haha, true. That's part of the problem having a carbon road bike, you absolutely cannot be beaten on a hill by anyone on a bike with flat bars, it's win or die in the attempt ;)
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Mark1978 wrote:haha, true. That's part of the problem having a carbon road bike, you absolutely cannot be beaten on a hill by anyone on a bike with flat bars, it's win or die in the attempt ;)

That's only true for cyclists who haven't got any trophies in a cabinet.
On social rides, those of us who have had silverware and still have the medals to prove it, couldn't give a flying toss who overtakes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AndyBSG wrote:I'm doing my first group ride next weekend which is a Skyride winter special and ambling along at 12MPH is exactly what I was expecting, which is why I chose it and haven't joined a cycle club. Can see me getting very irate if there's some jobsworth ride leader shouting at me!

12mph? That'd be a fast ride for my local group ;-) I think you should look again and see if there's a cycle club near you that does some rides at so-called touring pace (8-12mph).

Emma - I agree with others, complain about that ride to people who can fix it. My group's back-markers sometimes offer tips on technique (gets dangerously close to chatting about cadence sometimes!) or spot (and help fix) mechanical problems, but they don't start heckling other riders! They're there to try to make sure that no-one gets lost, or left in a country lane with a broken bike.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Depends on the terrain really. Some rides I've been doing 18mph average whereas yesterday I busted a gut to do 12mph average up and down hills.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

haha Mark1978, i'll let you borrow my heavy steel dawes, with racks etc on, and you can try going up the 2 20% slopes on this skyride route at 12mph. I'll keep the number 999 dialed into my phone for the inevitable heart attack :mrgreen:

Actually Ayesha here came up with a great idea to find some audax stuff. I'm lining up my membership for next year as I type.

As for skyrides I think I'm done with them, for the most part. It was a step to doing longer distances anyway so its served its purpose.

Meic said
What's worse, some woman has just overtaken me on a blinkin Dawes.

Not as embarrassing as the 70 year old granny with a wicker basket on the front of her bike(fixed gear) who steamed past me like I was standing still (i was doing 12mph). Hope I can be that fast when im old and wrinkled.

Emma
meic

Post by meic »

a great idea to find some audax stuff. I'm lining up my membership for next year as I type.

It already is next year in the Audax world and you could have bought membership last month that lasts to the end of this Audax year.
It runs from the beginning of November.
If you are a CTC member there is no financial reason to join AUK, you can attend the rides and your CTC membership means you are excused the £2 non-members insurance charge.

AUK membership does allow you to collect Audax points and have your own number and place in the tables on the website.
Yma o Hyd
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

It also gives you a high quality 64 page magazine 4 times a year with ride reports, some of which will amaze and inspire you. Have a look herehttp://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

never heard of skyrides before..back in the days of Kernow CC we used to all stick together on sunday rides and if you were feeling fit you helped the struggling riders up hills.
hoping to get back to audax ridin next year,fingers and toes crossed :roll:
I`m def too old for this!
meic

Post by meic »

The AUK magazine "Arrive":
A magazine full of "real cyclists" who wear lycra, chat about cadence, and on very rare occasions power meters.

I lost interest in the magazine when they stopped filling it with pictures of me and, in one edition, my beautiful daughter. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Ayesha wrote:What was also strange was attendance at swimming baths fell also. Some public baths were closed.
To many trucks doing lengths?

Well, that and most pools are dirty and expensive.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

LondonBikeCommuter wrote:
Ayesha wrote:What was also strange was attendance at swimming baths fell also. Some public baths were closed.
To many trucks doing lengths?

Well, that and most pools are dirty and expensive.

our local pool is quite cheap and as I`m tight we spend most of sunday afternoon in the pool!its blimmin cold so keeps you movin :)
I`m def too old for this!
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

About a fiver in this neck of the woods which it seems includes a free fungal infection judging by most users.