battery charges and rechargeable AAs -hope vision 1

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
2wheeler

Re: battery charges and rechargeable AAs -hope vision 1

Post by 2wheeler »

Doesn't the 1.2 voltage of Nimh batteries mean lights are dimmer?

I've been looking at the aldi and other rechargeable batteries too and wondering?

Gordon
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

lidl in my area has sold out, sigh.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

2wheeler wrote:Doesn't the 1.2 voltage of Nimh batteries mean lights are dimmer?

I've been looking at the aldi and other rechargeable batteries too and wondering?

Gordon

As I understand it, the 1.2 is nominal, as is the 1.5 in alkalines. In practice, the NiMH comes off my charger at 1.3 or more, and then stays between 1.3 and 1.2 until almost flat. Alkalines drop off quite quickly and are seldom at 1.5v for long.

The other factor is good NiMH tend to have low internal resistance, which means in certain circuits can sustain higher currents too.
meic

Post by meic »

2wheeler wrote:Doesn't the 1.2 voltage of Nimh batteries mean lights are dimmer?

Gordon

On some lights, like an old Maglite with a bulb, this is certainly true, I have never knowingly experienced it with an LED light though. There is definitely the potential for such an effect, I can hook my Ixon IQ up to the bike dynamo and it gets much brighter than running on the batteries alone.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

With regard to the Lidl (or Aldi as well) hybrid-type low discharge batteries can someone kindly tell me what labelling I should look for on the pack to ensure that they are not just "normal" NmH rechargeables?

I fancy trying some out.

thanks in advance.
Sweep
Ray

Post by Ray »

Those I saw in Aldi a couple of weeks ago had "low self-discharge" on the packaging. Didn't actually buy them, and can't vouch for their quality.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You tend to find -
"Ready to use"
And some type of graphics showing 75 % charge left, compared tor normal rechargeables with no charge left.
The lidl ones show 75% charge after one year and ready to use.
Edited-
I have been useing rechargable AA's for the last 33 years at least, I still have the "Tandy" (Radio Shack) charger and it still works. Tho I use a more modern charger nowerdays.

Edited again-
Standard alkaline are more suited to smoke alarms etc, I can get several years out of little used devices like, electronic safe keypads, gas igniters TV remotes etc, rechargables are best for high current use where normal alkaline will be dead in several hours, just remember spare batts when you go out in the dark.
I have been using alkalines bought of ebay for several years now and find them reliable as the same Brand Make bought in supermarkets, 40 - 50p each depending on quantity.

Edited - P.S.
I find that if you number the batts with a indelable pen 1, 2, 3 , etc, and buy a cheap battery tester, then if one batt shows signs of early failure when used in device with others (in pairs etc,) mark it with a cross and regular early failure means bin it.

By the time you see failures in rechargables, the tech has moved on so its constant suck it and see juggling game.
Still cheaper and greener that std batts.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Sweep wrote:With regard to the Lidl (or Aldi as well) hybrid-type low discharge batteries can someone kindly tell me what labelling I should look for on the pack to ensure that they are not just "normal" NmH rechargeables?

I fancy trying some out.

thanks in advance.

Sweep - I'm looking at a pack that I bought from Lidl yesterday. I'm sorry I'm not up to the task of sending a picture.

They're in a bubble pack of course - about 4" x 6". The card insert is black/green/grey and branded : "TRONIC eco" in white and green letters on a black background, across the top of the card.
The info, printed in white on the green background, says : "Ready to Use Mignon Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries". It claims : "Up to 1000 charge cycles", and "AA 2300 mAh, 1.2v - they are the AA ones of course. The AAA versions are : AAA 950 mAh 1.2V

I bought a pack of both, at £3.99p.

The batteries themselves are mainly shiny (chrome) silver with green, black, orange printing. Previous versions, earlier this year, only boasted 2100mAh for the AAs, but I'm using some at the moment and having recharged them a few times I'm finding them very good. They were similar appearance, but red where the current ones are orange.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

When genuine Eneloops are available cheaply why bother with anything of uncertain quality? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZLW1WY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_.i=B000IDUOPA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=16YM78Z9J7GTSGYB7HX7
As regards a charger ideally you need one that has delta voltage detection, temperature cut out and timer cut out for nearly foolproof charging. Also ensure that cells are charged individually. Forget features like conditioning - they aren't needed.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Edited again-
Standard alkaline are more suited to smoke alarms etc, I can get several years out of little used devices like, electronic safe keypads, gas igniters TV remotes etc, rechargables are best for high current use where normal alkaline will be dead in several hours, just remember spare batts when you go out in the dark.

Low self discharge (LSD) are fine for all the above usage, even clocks. No need for alkalines, unless LSDs aren't available in that size. NiMh cells are comparatively modern and LSD ones even more so. NiCd cells are a much older technology and have similar properties, but not a long lifespan nor low self discharge. They also contain Cadmium and the release of this metal into the environment is undesirable.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MikeF wrote:When genuine Eneloops are available cheaply why bother with anything of uncertain quality? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZLW1WY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_.i=B000IDUOPA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=16YM78Z9J7GTSGYB7HX7
As regards a charger ideally you need one that has delta voltage detection, temperature cut out and timer cut out for nearly foolproof charging. Also ensure that cells are charged individually. Forget features like conditioning - they aren't needed.

I know that those are good batteries but also see that they are lower capacity.

So if the batteries are being used in something that drains the batteries relatively quickly, like a very regularly used light, is the low self discharge that much of an issue?

Please note that I'm not techie. So be gentle with me.

Thanks for the reply to my question JohnW - only just seen it.
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

So long as you are working at 'normal' temperatures a non-LSD battery set is a better option than an LSD set if you are using it on a very frequent basis. That includes over the summer months or the winter months when various toys can be put away for months at a time.

At the moment my non LSD batteries dont work in the little MP3 player if I leave it out overnight in the freezing car.

There are the Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries which combine LSD technology with a higher capacity 2500 mAh(also a reduced number of recharges before death) but they are about double the price!
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Uniross Hybrio AA 100 mAh give a Temp rating of 25 C :?:
http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/XX-AA-4-Pack

Extract:-
"SANYO’s engineers developed the XX batteries to excel in extreme conditions where high power performance in very low temperature environments (down to -4 degrees Fahrenheit) is needed" Not very low temp :?:Edited thats low -20 C :?:

More info here :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2% ... de_battery
meic

Post by meic »

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the Eneloops minimum temperature rating is not very low. Then remember that they are better than the standard NiMH batteries whose minimum temperature is not low at all. I would guess somewhere around +5 deg C for a high current.

I would like it if a few people checked this out independently. Using a high power device like the Hope or an Ixon IQ on full power, a fridge and sets of NiMH and LSD NiMH batteries.

My Ixon is playing up again, so I can not retest my previous experience.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sorry I edited my post above.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Uniross Hybrio AA 100 mAh give a Temp rating of 25 C :?:
http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/XX-AA-4-Pack

Extract:-
"SANYO’s engineers developed the XX batteries to excel in extreme conditions where high power performance in very low temperature environments (down to -4 degrees Fahrenheit) is needed" Not very low temp :?:Edited thats low -20 C :?:

More info here :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2% ... de_battery

Should be low enough even in the valleys of Wales :D

"In October 2009, ECD Ovonics announced that their next-generation NiMH batteries will provide specific energy and power that are comparable to those of lithium ion batteries at a cost that is significantly lower than the cost of lithium ion batteries"