Be polite when you are an accident victim...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Geriatrix

Re: Be polite when you are an accident victim...

Post by Geriatrix »

Vorpal wrote:I'll put it a different way. If the law protected vulnerable road users, it is likely that fewer incidents would escalate (even if they occurred). Motorists (even if a minority) wouldn't feel they were within their rights intimidating and harassing vulnerable people. And lack of support in the system for cyclists contributes to cyclists' anger. It is ever so much easier to reach boiling point when a bus squeezing past is the umpteenth bullying encounter on the day. And much easier to remain polite when it is the first.

Nailed it!

Approved for peer review publication (but I can't find it anywhere) is the latest study by Ian Walker which shows that the visibility of the clothing you wear during daylight hours makes no difference to driver behaviour, 1 - 2% of them will perform close passes - it doesn't matter whether you wear black or a luminous banana suit. If you commute 3 hours a day on busy London roads 1 - 2% is an unacceptably high figure which accumulates on your psyche.

In one of Spike Milligan's books he reflects on his PTSD, and accusations of cowardice with a brilliant observation. "Why didn't you shoot me for cowardice before the war, I was a coward then too" He had a knack for illustrating the absurdity of social judgements, and he has a point. There's something wrong about judging a person who would not exhibit the judged behaviour if not repeatedly provoked, and I'm afraid I'm no Ghandi or Tutu. Everyone has their own thresholds. Perhaps society should just round those up with lower threshold and charge them now. Since the human condition is endemic in a percentage of the population, why wait?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... "Why didn't you shoot me for cowardice before the war, I was a coward then too" ...

But that seems to be just the point I'm making.

This situation exists now, and all around, so now's the time to make a fuss, rather than waiting till something goes wrong.
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

I think changing the opinions of a whole society is what democratic protest is all about.
But confrontingv bad driving at a personal level, if more people would do it can only be a
good thing. I had a young chap pull right in front of me, racing to into a garage forecourt.
I suppose he maybe missed clipping my front wheel by 3-4cm.

I don't normally this but I cycled in after him and chapped his window.
Surprisingly he was very apologetic. And I politely informed him that I would not be
passing his registration details to either the police or his insurers. This time!

By the way, insurers do take seriously complaints made against motorists they insure,
and often adjust their prices accordingly. As do local councils, taxi firms and professional
organisations who have a bad driver in their employ.
meic

Post by meic »

But how do you find out who their insurers are?

You can find out if they are insured on the web but not any forwarding address for complaints.
Yma o Hyd
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

thirdcrank wrote:
.... "Why didn't you shoot me for cowardice before the war, I was a coward then too" ...

But that seems to be just the point I'm making.

Yes I know, I was just pointing out my own fallibilities. The same fallibilities as the person charged in the OP's post. I could easily see myself doing the same thing as him.

In terms of making a fuss, I do. Through the only channels I know, the MET roadsafe reporting facility, but I'm disillusioned with that. Their responses now leave the same cynical impression as the pre-recorded sympathy in the rail announcements: "we are sorry for the cancellation of this service, we are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey". MET roadsafe has become just another way of giving the impression that they are doing something whilst doing nothing. I'm starting to suspect that motorists who receive MET warnings past them on their walls as a badge of honour.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

I usually ask them who they are insured with and they are generally okay about saying.

A bad report can cost a driver hundreds especially if accompanied by a police report.

I also routinely take lots of photos at the scene of a near miss our an accident, which helps no end
convincing an employer or insurer that they have a bad risk on their books.

[ Edited by Graham to consolidate two posts into one. ]