You and your's rubbish

Andy Tallis

You and your's rubbish

Post by Andy Tallis »

What a load of rubbish. Apparently cycling is not at all possible without significantly increasing your chance of getting hurt. In reality you are 20 times more likely to increase your lifespan than shorten it. Not only that, but apparently a 20 mile round commute is absolutely impossible. I found 8 miles round trip a doddle and regularly made it up to 30.
gar

Re:You and your's rubbish

Post by gar »

I do ten miles a day using my shoulders not my thighs. 20 miles a day? If it were up a steep hill in both directions it would not be too easy, there and back. Sometimes when I have done a hundred miles it seems uphill on the way back exactly where it did on the way there. I can't understand it.

The correspondent must have been thinking of problems.... like rain!Raining today....... ooooh no can't cycle to work! Gaiters? what are gaiters?
gar

Post by gar »

With motorway surfaces that motorists have,
and none of the traffic, hills removed,
healthy people in the 20s-30s could do 40 miles 20/20 every day.

If only all the advantages of modern roads were available without vehicles ever on them, then it would be a perfect world, if a bit lonely cycling on the M25.

It's the Chinese I am sorry for.
m davey

Post by m davey »

Dear Andy

What are your statistical references or the scientific papers for the increase in lifespan?

I do not think this is a proven fact.

However, a 20 mile round trip is not impossible as you are clearly aware. I do a 46 mile round trip in the Scottish Borders on rough hilly roads come rain or shine. Missed 10 days due to weather last year.
Just one careless driver could curtail my lifespan!
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

I quoted the 20:1 figure that I have heard in various sources: Cyclecraft (John Franklin), numerous websites (including www.cyclehelmets.org I think, which may give the actual medical reference) and articles/letters in cycle. I accept that this may not account for non life threatening injuries you may suffer, or ultra distance riding (where the extra exercise begins to have less benefit.) I also accept that people who cycle probably exercise more in other areas which may distort figures.
As you say, may not be scientifically proven, but I certainly don't think cycling is the health hazard that Quentin Wilson percieved it as.
gar

Post by gar »

Dave,
How long does that 23 each way take you?
It's a chunk of time but also a chunk less unfitness?
m davey

Post by m davey »

To gar,

This morning, variable winds, light to heavy rain to clear skies. Dressed in overshoes, Assos Airblock bibtights, Airblock jacket etc the commute from Peebles to Edinburgh (23 miles) took 1 hour 21 minutes. Return which is hillier about 1 hour 28 minutes.

Incidentally if I travelled by bus door to door it would take about the same time due to rush hour traffic. I have just turned over 22,000 miles since starting in June 2003. Nowhere near the 300K club!