BBC Five live

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tenderfoot

BBC Five live

Post by tenderfoot »

The following comments were made a few minutes ago live on air by an imbecile claiming to represent London taxi drivers.: "There are videos that clearly show that the majority of cyclists ran red lights."
And : "The majority of cyclists are engaged in an unlawful activity." Both went unchallenged. Up until then I had always believed that telling lies on air was privilege that was extended only to politicians. Regarding the cycleways; "That should all be stopped." Oh Dear...
bikepacker

Re: BBC Five live

Post by bikepacker »

File a formal complaint from the BBC's website. I have done on a number of occasions.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

Anyone who lets this sort of sorry claptrap go unchallenged shouldn't be broadcasting at all.

Typical knee jerk idiocy, yet cyclists continue to die by the dozens.

I don't recall any taxi drivers being mown down by bicycles.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Was the same on PM on Radio 4 the other day. Reading out listeners emails; which they hardly ever do. Saying the usual crap if all cyclists obeyed the law there would be no deaths etc. no opposing view and no challenge from the presenter
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

its always the same on radio cornwall :( bloke that does the afternoon phone in show hates cyclists,dogs and prices of carparks`but I own a bike`and the same bloke from Falmouth always rings in about the cyclists riding the wrong way up the street and not paying `roadtax` :roll:
I`m def too old for this!
tenderfoot

Post by tenderfoot »

Oddly enough, the idiot taxi driver claimed to ride a bike. Only he, apparently, was "careful where he rode it."
jezer

Post by jezer »

Perhaps that meant he didn't cycle on the road, in case his colleagues knocked him off :?
Power to the pedals
meic

Post by meic »

tenderfoot wrote:Oddly enough, the idiot taxi driver claimed to ride a bike. Only he, apparently, was "careful where he rode it."

These claims of I have a bike or I ride a bike but these people...

always sound just like

I am not racist, some of my best friends are black/gay/Jewish/muslim but these people...
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

I've certainly been accosted by a motorist who claimed to be a cyclist. Perhaps he was like my next door neighbour who has left a BSO in his back garden for at least four years without it being moved. I expect it's totally rusted up by now :cry:
Power to the pedals
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

jezer wrote:I've certainly been accosted by a motorist who claimed to be a cyclist. Perhaps he was like my next door neighbour who has left a BSO in his back garden for at least four years without it being moved. I expect it's totally rusted up by now :cry:

I was knocked off on a roundabout once by a guy who claimed he thought the flashing red light directly beneath my bottom was an indicator saying I wanted to turn left. (Why left and not right?)
He also claimed to be a cyclist - presumably one that had never seen a bike light.

I think claiming to be something you're not is a fairly well used mechanism for adding weight to an opinion.
honesty

Post by honesty »

This comes from a "study" the LTDA did over 2 1 hour periods last month where they placed a camera on one junction and filmed the cyclists jumping read lights. Of the cycles at that junction 53% jumped the light. Therefore most did. Therefore cyclists are all law breakers.
honesty

Post by honesty »

you can see it here http://www.ltda.co.uk/#prettyPhoto/0/

Their data is obtained at the following places and times:

1 hour between 8:15pm and 9:15pm, 23rd of September, junction of Hackney road and Queensbridge road. - http://goo.gl/maps/yTxHr
1 hour between 7:35am and 8:35am , 15th of October, junction of Fortress road and Highgate road. - http://goo.gl/maps/Ya0oQ
Last edited by honesty on 28 Nov 2013, 10:45am, edited 2 times in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

honesty wrote:This comes from a "study" the LTDA did over 2 1 hour periods last month where they placed a camera on one junction and filmed the cyclists jumping read lights. Of the cycles at that junction 53% jumped the light. Therefore most did. Therefore cyclists are all law breakers.

There you are then he wasn't wrong when he said "There are videos that clearly show that the majority of cyclists ran red lights."
And : "The majority of cyclists are engaged in an unlawful activity." The videos you mention show just that - albeit it by only a majority of 3%.

I'm sure there are also videos about which will show the majority of London taxi drivers drive with little, if any, consideration for other road users...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Most drivers habitually break road traffic laws because they are ignorant of those laws. Last Sunday on the A422 between Broughton Hackett and Flyford Flavell a distance of about 4 miles, 23 drivers broke the law. For at least 3 miles this road has double white lines because it is peppered with blind bends and a narrow carriageway. As it is slightly downhill for a large part of the way I would be doing well over 10 mph on the white line sections. Yet all yes 100% of drivers overtook me crossing those lines or almost hitting my elbow to avoid oncoming traffic. I bet all would argue they are legally entitled to so. They are not.
Previously cycling into Upton on Severn a police car overtook me in the same circumstance when I was doing 15 mph.
The BBC and the Drive programme have constantly demonstrated an anti-cycling stance and will continue to do so unless more of us lodge formal complaints. Also the CTC has to play a bigger part in objecting and highlighting the law breaking of drivers.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I think a driver is allowed to cross a solid line if overtaking a slow moving vehicle (given only overtake if it is safe to do so.)
This enables a motorist to give reasonable clearance for a cyclist rather than squeezing between the cyclist and the white line.