LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RJC

Post by RJC »

CJ wrote:Thanks for the link, which shows that although you can connect two LED lights in parallel, you hardly get any more light out of them that way. Sharing the power is right. Each lamp gets half as much power and produces only slightly more than half as much light.

Check out the graphs and you'll see that in order to get a worthwhile amount of extra light you still have to connect the lamps in series. Only that way, by increasing the resistance of the load, can you get appreciably more power out of an alternator that's designed to produce a constant current.

Connection in parallel works, but connection in series works a whole lot better.

True, but if you add the 330uF capacitor in series then the parallel connection is useful at some speeds. The capacitor boosts the output as it forms an AC resonant circuit with the inductance of the hub dynamo. This explains the peak in the output vs speed. I believe the Schmidt E6-Z light designed for the 'two lights in series' connection has a capacitor built in.
Andreas Oehler of Schmidt who did these measurements doesn't recommend using the series capacitor trick with a single IQ fly as he reckons it will push too much current through the LED.
A word of caution - standard electrolytic capacitors will be designed for DC and should only be used one way round, use non-polarised electrolytic capacitors.

Robin
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

CA word of caution - standard electrolytic capacitors will be designed for DC and should only be used one way round, use non-polarised electrolytic capacitors.

Robin

Electrolytic capacitors are polarised - go for ceramic or similar.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
natmat

Post by natmat »

I've just measured my IQ and the front wire is 27" from lamp to hub-plug cable-entry point. Note, the front wire disappears into the body of the lamp, it DOES NOT connect via external push-fit connectors as I had stated previously (sorry for passing on incorrect info, my mistake).
Nathan..

piedwagtail91 wrote:can any fly iq owner please tell me the length of the attached wire ?
i getting one early next year and am wondering if it's long enough to mount the light on the bars without having to extend it.
abradleyInf

capicitors

Post by abradleyInf »

To make a non-polarised electrolytic cap, wire two in series, with their polaritys opposing : giving a gestalt cap of half the value, or buy some
cross-over ones from audio shop.
RJC

Post by RJC »

fatboy wrote:
CA word of caution - standard electrolytic capacitors will be designed for DC and should only be used one way round, use non-polarised electrolytic capacitors.

Robin

Electrolytic capacitors are polarised - go for ceramic or similar.

But can you get ceramic capacitors in values of 100s of uF?

Non-polarised electrolytics are available, which might contain two
electrolytics in series in opposite polarity.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... &doy=18m12
RJC

Post by RJC »

Aktiv Radfahren (German) dynamo lighting article including IQ Fly:
http://www.nabendynamo.de/pdf/ar.11-12_2007.pdf
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

looks intresting,just wish i understood german!!
there's supposed to be a shipment of iq fly due in the next week or two, apparently they can't make them fast enough.
T800

Post by T800 »

At least a couple of the graphs are easy enough to figure out.

I see Andreas Oehler is pictured, too. His English is good, if you have any queries. He was very helpful when I e-mailed him at Schmidt a few years ago, regarding the switch on my E6-Z.

piedwagtail91 wrote:looks intresting,just wish i understood german!!
there's supposed to be a shipment of iq fly due in the next week or two, apparently they can't make them fast enough.
So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.
keithg

Post by keithg »

Has anyone got a more elegant solution to mounting these with caliper brakes that doesn't involve too much mucking about with your front brakes.
I see Chris' solution is practical but the lights seem a little vulnerable there and I'd like a really robust mounting in front of the headset if possible.
I have Shimano 105 brakes, do I just need a longer central pivot bolt, are they available and where?
Cheers
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

i'm mounting mine on the bars with a nice looking bracket from sjs cycles, it'll probably mean extending the wire but i prefer the light higher up.
PinkPanther

Post by PinkPanther »

Have a look at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp

Seems to be lots of interesting stuff on his website! It's in the US but he says he ships internationally (I've not used him though).
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I have used a Spacegrip fitted to the stem and have an IQ Fly and an Ixon IQ mounted on that.
The cable is plenty long enough and the lights are easily accesible.
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

this is the one i was thinking of,they do a double ended one (shown below it) as well
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Schm ... t-9884.htm
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I was going to buy one of those but I was given a Spacegrip so I use that instead with some clamps I already had.
Those brackets are good though as I know a few people using them.
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

natmat wrote:I've just measured my IQ and the front wire is 27" from lamp to hub-plug cable-entry point. Note, the front wire disappears into the body of the lamp, it DOES NOT connect via external push-fit connectors as I had stated previously (sorry for passing on incorrect info, my mistake).
Nathan

thanks for the info, it should be just about the right length for my set up.

just spent a short while using an online translator on the above review.
i've got an idea what they're on about now.
found it quite funny when it translated busch and muller as "shrub" !!