Night riding

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
barbelfisher

Night riding

Post by barbelfisher »

I have just started leisure riding at night owing to a lack of time in the day. I have good lights and dress warm and just wondered if any other people do the same?

barbelfisher
meic

Re: Night riding

Post by meic »

Yes, one of the main attractions is the much lower traffic volumes.
Out here I can manage 20 miles without having to share the road with any other vehicles.

One of the drawbacks with good lights is that you dont get to see as much of the stars, I used to see lots of shooting stars before I bought my Busch and Muller lights.
Yma o Hyd
horizon

Post by horizon »

I took the bike out two nights ago at 10.30 pm for a blast around my home town. But try not just nights but warm, moonlit summer nights .. mmmm. City or countryside. Amazing. Best, as meic says, is when all the cars have gone home - 2.00 am. 3.00am. Why do you think the Dunwich Dynamo and other night rides are so popular? Riding back from the pub etc etc.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
meic

Post by meic »

I like going off across the hills or deep through the forests on my own with nobody else for miles around, there is even a section of woods around here that scares me, a haunted feeling, though I dont believe in such things. Foxes, badgers and bats keeping you company.
Or going off in a group of night cyclists like fnrttc, let us see if I am free next July.
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

meic wrote:Yes, one of the main attractions is the much lower traffic volumes.
Out here I can manage 20 miles without having to share the road with any other vehicles.

One of the drawbacks with good lights is that you dont get to see as much of the stars, I used to see lots of shooting stars before I bought my Busch and Muller lights.

You need to give yourself an extra hour out (warm clothing!) and stop somewhere dark, away from traffic, and safe. After turning off your lights you should allow at least 20 minutes to get your night-vision.

Although whenever I'm out on a dark clear night, my eyes are inevitable drawn skyward :roll: , I've long ago discovered that stargazing and cycling (when you're actually in motion) don't mix.... :shock:

Having said that - it can be an uplifting experience to spot a bright meteor streak across the sky as you're riding along. Equally welcome have been the odd occasion when I've seen a movement in the corner of my eye, which I took to be a meteor, turned out to be a barn owl. Night is full of welcome surprises (unless you're a mouse!)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Some of my Favorite rides have been at night Crossing the Sperrins in the early hours of the morning in Northern Ireland.
NUKe

Post by meic »

You need to give yourself an extra hour out (warm clothing!) and stop somewhere dark, away from traffic, and safe. After turning off your lights you should allow at least 20 minutes to get your night-vision.

I can do that just by stepping out of my back door. 8)
Yma o Hyd
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I ride at night five days out of seven as I finish work at 22:00, reduced traffic but I do ride home on the A4 into Bristol so I do see plenty of vehicles when using that route but do get a 2 mile bus lane all to myself as the bus service that uses it finishes at 19:00.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

I quite often ride at night or finish a ride at night. I also like the lack of traffic. I find I can sweep along roads that I often prefer to avoid during the day.
On a clear night with a good moon like last night, I particularly like the views from the hills of the lights of the towns and villages or sometimes the ships at sea displayed below me. I find their is quite a lot of wildlife at night. In the evening the bats swooping around - one collided with my face a few weeks back. The shadow of an owl passing over or occasionally a startled fox or badger foraging along the hedges and verges.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

meic wrote:Yes, one of the main attractions is the much lower traffic volumes.

+1

Totally agree. Night riding can be an absolute pleasure, especially on a clear night.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Often cycle at night, love it.
Many years ago I worked a strange shift pattern, where I finished at 2.30am. It was great to cycle home at that time. Only after having to by a set of Nightsun lights. I used to crash into the hedges in the dark lanes when there was a bend in the road, cos the only lights that were available were those useless Ever Ready type lights.
It is the silence I love.
One night after a shift I was just coasting down my street, almost home, binbags every where, collection in the morning, when one of them exploded, and a fox legged it away, scared the life out of me, and the fox as well probably. He hadn't heard me approaching, you wouldn't have got that if you were driving.
I watched an eclipse of the moon and comet Halle Bop. Did I mention I like cycling at night.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not really doing it at the moment, but love night riding when I get the opportunity.... have often switched front light off for long unlit sections, there is surprisingly more light than you think to see by. Switch lights on when I know there is an approaching vehicle, to ride thru the night and see the world come alive to a new day is something very special IMHO
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I guess it depends if you mean riding at night as in 2am, or in the dark, i.e. 6pm but still with the same traffic as when it's light at 6pm.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

On a 400 km Randonneur ( or longer ) its unavoidable.

I enjoy riding at night. Its fun to see the snails 'leg-it'.. :lol:

I lived in New York for a while. The only difference is whether the sky is light or dark. The traffic remains the same.
The difference between Warwickshire and New York City at night is in New York, they switch the stars off to save power.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I agree - night riding (which in the winter can be as early as 10pm) is lovely. Quiet, calm, beautiful.

With a full moon there is really no need for lights, with a low lying fog there really is!

I've ridden along in a very dense, but only 2' deep layer of fog... My light made a glowing ball of fog, but I could see for miles over the fog. Guessing the edge of the (unfamiliar) roads was tough, I could just about see the bottom of my left hand wheel, but no further in front of it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.