Waterproof for not cycling in?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nirakaro

Waterproof for not cycling in?

Post by nirakaro »

When I’m cycling, I’m completely pleased with my Altura Pocket Rocket: it’s comfortable, keeps out all but the most offensive rain, and weighs a mere 130g. The only thing “wrong” with it, is that I find I want it for general use when I’m not on my bike, and it has very cycling-specific cut, low at the back and very high at the front, which looks a bit daft, and doesn't keep all the rain off if I’m walking. Anyone know of something similar with a more general-purpose shape?
meic

Re: Waterproof for not cycling in?

Post by meic »

I dont know how much you are willing to spend.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/minimus-jacket
Yma o Hyd
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

For general walking at lower level I prefer the longer Drovers Coats. Cotton Traders sell a nice long one.

Other than those most walking shops sell normal non technical coats. Mountain Warehouse should be having a sale about now and the prices there are sometimes very reasonable.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I use Paramo waterproofs. I find they are the best I've ever worn, never felt wet.
I will never wear Goretex again.
I have 4. 2x aspira (one for mountain Rescue, one for personal use) A short jacket I use day to day(can't remember name). And a Quito, I use for both summer walking and for cycling.
They are not cheap, but IMO the best.
Waterproofs are a personal thing, eveyone will have their own opinion.
A lot of people don't like Paramo, but they don't wear them as they were designed to be worn.
When it rains they put it on, when it stops they take it off and put it in their bag, it ends up like a ball of slime in the bottom.
The correct way is to put it on and leave it on, your body heat drys it.
And they are soft and dont rustle like a crisp packet.
And the wife has one as well. She picked it by coincidence, cos she liked the colour :roll:

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Paramo - can't honestly recommend anything else as remotely worth buying these days. Perhaps a touch warm for (say) Southof France in summer, but perfect for standard UK use for mountaineering, or going to the shops. Knocks goretex (over rated in any case) into the proverbial cocked hat.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you don't mind the pattern this stuff takes some beating especially at that price. Sizing seems good too as they do it by height as well as chest.
http://www.premiersurplus.co.uk/more/on/details/0868
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Berghaus make good walking jackets, the expensive ones not the £75 rubbish sold by Blacks. Alternatively Rohan or a Barbour.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Another vote for Paramo.
jezer

Post by jezer »

andrewk wrote:Berghaus make good walking jackets, the expensive ones not the £75 rubbish sold by Blacks. Alternatively Rohan or a Barbour.

I've had a Berghaus thin shell walking jacket for several years which has proved excellent in the worst of weathers. It wasn't cheap, about £140 as I recall. I would gladly pay as much for something equally good for cycling, but as yet I've not found it.
Power to the pedals
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use one of these Rohan jackets: http://www.rohan.co.uk/All-Mens-Sale-Of ... e=03502990
Unlike most recent jackets, not wearing overtrousers (the work of Stan) is not a hardship.
Martyn B

Post by Martyn B »

Yet another vote for Paramo. Like Neilo, I am fortunate enough to own 3 Paramo garments - a mountaineering jacket (as used by the mountain / cave rescue boys & girls), a Velez smock and a recently purchased Quito jacket. For all round use, the Velez wins hands down, in as much as it's as good on the bike as it is for walking, backpacking, lightweight mountaineering et al - if I could only keep one, the Velez would get my vote for its versatility. The Quito is great for cycling when the weather is just that bit warmer and I guess it would be ideal for touring, being considerably lighter than the Velez. Paramo garments also dry very quickly, which has not been my experience with Goretex

The major downside of Paramo gear is the cost, although I would argue that this disadvantage is offset by its durability - I've had my mountaineering jacket for about ten years and it still performs as well as it did when new - I reproof it perhaps a couple of times a year (as indeed I do the Velez) and not only does it still perform well, it still looks good ! There are some good bargains to be had on the 'Paramo Seconds' website and there's a healthy second-hand market on the usual websites.

If you are prepared to pay for quality, I would suggest that you give it a try......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

andrew_s wrote:I use one of these Rohan jackets: http://www.rohan.co.uk/All-Mens-Sale-Of ... e=03502990
Unlike most recent jackets, not wearing overtrousers (the work of Stan) is not a hardship.

I've had one of those a while and it just drips the water on my legs a bit lower down, even though my legs are somewhat shorter than the very patronising people at Rohan think legs should be. I also have some Rohan waterproof trousers (ie not overtrousers) made out of the same "Barricade" fabric as that jacket, but a different colour. (The leg length was too long for me but the very nice man in the Rohan shop offered to have them altered free. :D ) The trousers team up very well with the jacket. Come to think of it, I also have one of their wide-brimmed rain hats.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Martyn B wrote:The major downside of Paramo gear is the cost, although I would argue that this disadvantage is offset by its durability - I've had my mountaineering jacket for about ten years and it still performs as well as it did when new - I reproof it perhaps a couple of times a year (as indeed I do the Velez) and not only does it still perform well, it still looks good ! There are some good bargains to be had on the 'Paramo Seconds' website and there's a healthy second-hand market on the usual websites.

If you are prepared to pay for quality, I would suggest that you give it a try......

I wouldn't call an allegedly waterproof jacket that requires reproofing " perhaps a couple of times a year" as durable - quite the reverse. My 15 year old Helly Hanson hellytech jacket is still waterproof despite never having any treatment from reproofing products - thats durability.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jezer

Post by jezer »

I had a Helly Hanson outfit in the early 70's. It was the last word in mountain walking in those days. Totally waterproof, but not breathable like modern fabrics. It's still in the garage, perhaps I should resurrect it for retro walking next year :lol:
Power to the pedals