Has anyone heard of Magnic Lights?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Has anyone heard of Magnic Lights?

Post by Mick F »

No.
I can agree. They just sit there waiting ............
My point is that if you want little LED lights on a road bike like the video shows, why not have little battery lights?

What's the cost benefit?
Serious question:
A pair of Cateye battery lights, or a pair of the Magnic lights.
(similar light output)

I don't dispute that these Magnic lights are "free" energy and may work well with hardly any drag and last for years.
Do you want them bolted to your brake calipers?
Mick F. Cornwall
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Two years since the very first prototypes and another one after its initial commercialization I still have the perception that something about this product didn’t go exactly into the expected direction.
Except for some feedbacks, all positive indeed and generally coming from project backers, the available official “literature” doesn’t say too much about its proven efficiency, reliability, maintainability … and safety.
Yes, even safety, because due to its quite powerful internal magnets it appears to have a few drawbacks like potential hazard implications if taken in the vicinity of sensitive technical or medical devices or simply for improper use.
At the beginning, I remember, I was caught by genuine curiosity and sincere admiration.
At the beginning I also recall that, even if not said clearly anywhere, this “new” device was generally perceived as a sort of a “totally encapsulated solid state” object and many of us were fantasizing on its possible realistic working principles.
Later on nevertheless it became clear that inside something was moving, more precisely a magnetic rotor simply driven by rim induced eddy currents.
Now, how it works, it’s pretty clear to everybody I guess ...
What's still totally unclear however is: what’s its real efficiency compared to a more traditional hub dynamo.
All the same we don’t know anything about its reliability; just to make an example, the internal bearing on which the rotor is assembled how does it copes with continuous vibrations and unavoidable wearing, is it a serviceable item ?
And what about the possibility to interface the device with a traditional ac/dc converter.
Is it only usable to light-on a led or the generated power might be finally also used to power-on/charge electronic gadgets.
In conclusion: does it match what was initially promised ??
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

ConRAD wrote:... in conclusion: does it match what was initially promised ??

... really nobody tested it ??
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I got one (rear), largely out of curiosity.
It works, and looks bright enough from an on the bike perspective. I think, compared to a Smart 1W, it's brighter to the sides and less bright directly in line behind, but without giving my bike to someone else to ride and following them, it's difficult to be sure.

Fitting options are relatively restricted - you've the double mount that fits to a caliper brake bolt, and single mounts for either a caliper brake block bolt, or for a cantilever/V boss pivot bolt. There's also a clamp to the seat stay mount. The brake pad bolt mounts are only suitable for the rear, as whilst the brightening as the light gets closer to the rim may be viewed as making a handy brake light on the back, on the front you want it as bright as possible all the time. If you have a rack and use panniers, there's nowhere for a rear light to go. A version with a cable between separate generator and light units would be needed to get round this.

If I pick up the back of the bike and give the pedal a bit of a kick, as I used to be in the habit of doing to make sure my bottle/halogen dynamo lights were working, it doesn't make any readily apparent difference to the run down time of the back wheel. I have the impression that the available power is in the 1-2 watt range, and that probably isn't enough to make them attractive for use in powering gadgets. More power would mean larger magnets in a bigger generator unit and/or running closer to the rim than would be safe.

It seems to be a sealed unit, with no way in short of breaking it. As for reliability, ask me in a year or two.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

andrew_s wrote:... I have the impression that the available power is in the 1-2 watt range ...

I very frankly reckon the geniality of the inventor but at the same time I'm really a little bit disappointed !! How is it possible that after two years since the very first prototypes there are no definite and credible technical data on power, efficiency, ... expected life !!! Yes "life", because since the inside rotor is magnetically dragged by the rim ... I assume that it's spinning at the velocity of the light !!!!!

andrew_s wrote:... as for reliability, ask me in a year or two ...

.. I'll do it, thank you !!
notme2

Post by notme2 »

andrew_s wrote:I As for reliability, ask me in a year or two.

How well did they perform

I ordered some 3 months ago as yet received nothing
notme2

Post by notme2 »

Update to my last post
received a full refund
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's still on the bike, glowing bright red all the time I'm riding. All I've had to do is occasional cleaning (it gets a fair amount of muddy spray off the tyre, being positioned right next to it).