Antarctic challenge... White Ice Cycle

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mrjemm

Re: Antarctic challenge... White Ice Cycle

Post by mrjemm »

Much clearer pic-

Looks like she started out with sidepods, the lot, but only kept the Ortliebs.
notme2

Post by notme2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Image

That looks a little chilly.

Looks to be prior to loading the tent and sleeping bag.
Be nice to know what the full kit was that she took with her
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think it's after dumping some kit, she was running behind schedule...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
notme2

Post by notme2 »

Couldn't have dumped that much kit
going from 8 bags down to 2 that would be unthinkable but she probably worked out that she's on flat ground now so any kit to help her up the glacier and over the mountains was redundant to her needs and could be left behind but what will be needed is the tent and sleeping bag plus the electronic equipment as well as any gear she may need if she encounters crevasses on the rest of route
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

She could have - these explorer types do take serious risks (we'll see on Jan 20th)
After all she was only planning on a couple of powernaps - I'd have been tempted not to take a tent at all - or at least to use the trike as an integral part of one...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Would it be wrong to speculate that she dumped nothing, but it's been added to the cameraman's load?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I hope the camera man did pick it up - but she won't get it back...
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The latest news can be found on the IceTrikes Blog

http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-blog
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I just noticed the plane in the background of the pic earlier... OK, was distracted by the trike...

Is that an old DC-3 Dakota? Square windows? I dunno... but being nervous about flying, I don't think I'd be joyous about flying into one the most hostile environments on the planet in an old bucket like that.

Really really want a go on the trike though, on the snow. Pleeease.

Perhaps when this is over, it should be put on a circuit of ICE dealers for publicity. We could all go see it, and give it a go at D-Tek, Laid-Back or wherever. Maybe around late January time... hint hint (i.e. I'll be free to visit and there may be snow...). :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Buckets like that are reliable. The extreme cold is bad for many aspects of many plqnes. simple is good...
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

mrjemm wrote:I just noticed the plane in the background of the pic earlier... OK, was distracted by the trike...

Is that an old DC-3 Dakota? Square windows? I dunno... but being nervous about flying, I don't think I'd be joyous about flying into one the most hostile environments on the planet in an old bucket like that.

I believe they are modernised. They have more reliable and economical modern turbo prop (jet engine with a propellor) compared to the Pratt &Whitney twin wasp radial piston engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basler_BT-67 flown by these http://www.alci.co.za/company-info/

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

089° 12.817S

Less than 50 arc minutes to go...
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

mrjemm wrote:Is that an old DC-3 Dakota? Square windows? I dunno... but being nervous about flying, I don't think I'd be joyous about flying into one the most hostile environments on the planet in an old bucket like that.

I think the old Dak still holds the best safety record of all aircraft, & probably hold the record for longest service for any military or commercial aircraft. Possibly the most rugged and reliable commercial aircraft ever built.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

[quote="GeriatrixI think the old Dak still holds the best safety record of all aircraft, & probably hold the record for longest service for any military or commercial aircraft. Possibly the most rugged and reliable commercial aircraft ever built.[/quote]

First flew 1935. I believe one of the reasons why they are still flying is that they never gave the airframe a limit on the amount of hours it could fly.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »