Does anyone own a Garmin edge touring?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hexhome

Re: Does anyone own a Garmin edge touring?

Post by hexhome »

andymiller wrote:As TomTom Rider is a gps designed for motorbikes it's not really a sensible comparison to make. If you don't like the way Garmin's avoidances work then switch them off.

Yeah but it has a pretty good Cycle mode, and is much easier to use as a sat nav.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Every time I think about splashing out to get a cycle navigation computer I come on here seeking advice and after scrawling through many previous threads on the subject I decide to forget the whole idea. There just seem to be so many difficulties still with them when it comes to loading up maps and battery life that it makes the cheaper paper option a far better method.
It saves me plenty of money to waste on other things but I must admit it is very frustrating.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

hondated wrote:Every time I think about splashing out to get a cycle navigation computer I come on here seeking advice and after scrawling through many previous threads on the subject I decide to forget the whole idea. There just seem to be so many difficulties still with them when it comes to loading up maps and battery life that it makes the cheaper paper option a far better method.
It saves me plenty of money to waste on other things but I must admit it is very frustrating.

To an extent I also feel like that about anything even remotely tech'y, in my group of friends I was the last to get a Smartphone, the last to get a home PC, the last to get Broadband and one of the last to get a GPS for my car let alone for my bike! I normally spend so long a pondering "shall I shan't I" that the item I was considering has been replaced and I have to start the pondering process all over again! In the end I normally succumb and end up getting something, often accompanied by groans of "finallyyyyyy" from my friends. Most of these purchases have proved useful but none are perfect and yes they do have their limitations. I dare say we can all say something negative about most things we own, a negative which could potentially deter someone especially if they were still very much at the unsure stage, I confess in my case that can easily translate to so unsure I'm almost relieved when I see these negatives, as I then can use that as an excuse to continue merrily a pondering!

For me the appeal of the my bicycle GPS was far different to may car GPS, with the latter it is far more about just reaching the destination without getting lost, with my bicycle GPS it's far more about the journey. It was this draw of riding new routes which outweighed my normal "bah humbug, I've ridden all these years without one and so I don't need one now" thoughts that I normally apply when it comes to embracing change, I like it far more than I thought I would and like it far more than I thought I'd admit to! Even if like my smartphone, laptop and car GPS, as much as I have come to enjoy them they all do drive me up the wall on occasion. In conclusion I am pleased I have one, although I still recommend a back up if exploring new routes for the odd occasion it's let's you down; but when it works as it should do, which it does for most of the time, it is I have to say very impressive.

Paul Smith.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

hondated wrote:Every time I think about splashing out to get a cycle navigation computer I come on here seeking advice and after scrawling through many previous threads on the subject I decide to forget the whole idea. There just seem to be so many difficulties still with them when it comes to loading up maps and battery life that it makes the cheaper paper option a far better method.

I kind of suspect that you may be reading the threads looking for problems. Actually using the gps is no more complicated than working out how to use a phone or any modern electrical device - you have to read the instruction book.

There are pitfalls for the unwary in autorouting so never place blind faith what the device tells you - and be prepared for a little bit of trial and error (personally I only bother with auto routing if I need to navigate through a town's one-way system). I think autorouting is one of the least important things that a gps will do for you.

If you're staying in hotels battery life isn't an issue - just plug the thing in and charge it up overnight. If you're camping things get a wee bit more complicated, which is why personally I would rather use a gps which lets me swap over batteries. Half a dozen rechargeables and you're set for a week - otherwise carry a battery charger and ask the campsite if they'd be willing to charge your batteries.

Loading maps is even less of a problem. Download a map from a site like talkytoaster, or velomaps.org or openfietsmap.nl and then copy it to the garmin folder of the memory card on your gps. Job done.
binsted

Post by binsted »

andymiller wrote:

I kind of suspect that you may be reading the threads looking for problems. Actually using the gps is no more complicated than working out how to use a phone or any modern electrical device - you have to read the instruction book.

And thats another thing, if they all came with instruction books I could thumb through in my tea break I would be happy.

They all seem to offer a couple of pages of how to turn it on and the rest is a download PDF. Bought a new Cannon camera a few weeks ago thinking I could print off the PDF "booklet"..................360 pages said I had to rethink my options
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

The latest episode of Channel 5's Gadget Show (Series 18 Episode 11) had John Bentley testing a Gramin Edge Touring against a Bryton Rider 60 and the MIO Cyclo 305 HC. The Garmin got their 3G rating, the Mio 2G and the Bryton a 4G rating. Whatever Satnav you buy it pays to read all the instructions and options. John Benley perhaps marked the Garmin Touring down because initially he was only looking at the map. I suppose it depends if you want a satnav to follow your pre-prepared route or to let the satnav take you where it will to your destination. If the latter the quality of the map and the routing algorhymn is all important.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-s ... e-sat-navs

I was satisfied with my Garmin Edge 705 in 2011 which I used for navigating prepared TCX courses on a C2C and Way of the Roses. When I went off course on the C2C it showed up within 50 metres. On the previous years Lejog I just used it as backup to my written instructions. After I made a wrong turning, the routing would have taken me across farm fields were it not for some workmen I could ask for directions.
hondated

Post by hondated »

I think Paul Andy and binstead may have got me after reading their comments thinking once again about buying one.
The trouble is it is Christmas money and what I am having to choose which item on my list I want to spend it on. Whatever item it is I know me being me that I will wished I had spent it on another item on the list.
If I do opt for the CC don't blame me when I come back on for some advice though.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

hondated wrote:I think Paul Andy and binstead may have got me after reading their comments thinking once again about buying one.....

There will be times you will thank us and curse us, hopefully far more the former :lol:

Paul Smith
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

We've just got one, mostly for day rides. It was loads cheaper than the next ones up, and we didn't want all the training modes. We also wanted more usable maps, and ours came with cycle maps for Europe. Someone mentioned to us that OS maps are not that useful on a small screen, so we're happy to get cycle specific ones. As for using it, we have not had the chance to try it yet!!!
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

We've just got one, mostly for day rides. It was loads cheaper than the next ones up, and we didn't want all the training modes. We also wanted more usable maps, and ours came with cycle maps for Europe. Someone mentioned to us that OS maps are not that useful on a small screen, so we're happy to get cycle specific ones. As for using it, we have not had the chance to try it yet!!!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

hexhome wrote:
andymiller wrote:As TomTom Rider is a gps designed for motorbikes it's not really a sensible comparison to make. If you don't like the way Garmin's avoidances work then switch them off.

Yeah but it has a pretty good Cycle mode, and is much easier to use as a sat nav.

Another bonus with the TT Rider is because the maps were constructed by, and updated by TT, there is a facility to Block roads I do not wish to use, such as particularly bumpy and potholed country lanes.
The routing will try its utmost to obey the avoidances, but if the alternative route is more than about 5 km longer, it will use the avoided roads.
Checking is necessary.

My question is,,, Can roads be Blocked on OSM when the maps are IN the Garmin? and does the routing take note of the 'User defined Map Corrections'?