112 mph on a bicycle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cjchambers

Guy Martin's Record Attempt

Post by cjchambers »

Anyone else watch 'Speed with Guy Martin' on Channel 4 tonight? He was attempting to break Dave le Grys' 110mph tow assisted speed record. I was very excited to see that the bike was made of Reynolds (853?) but my heart sank a bit when I saw that they were doing the record on sand! I won't give away the end result!

Edit: Now on 4oD for those who are interested (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/spee ... martin/4od)

The video of the 1986 attempt is a true blast from the past - done on the unfinished M42 behind a Rover SD1! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpxJWAJbFM)
Last edited by cjchambers on 30 Dec 2013, 12:02am, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe

Re: Guy Martin's Record Attempt

Post by NUKe »

just watched brilliant thanks for the reminder.
NUKe

Post by Claireysmurf »

I was amazed. I think he's a brilliant bloke. Thought his bike was very interesting and the location of his record attempt didn't feel ideal.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Pendine Sands has been used for many record attempts. Wonder if he uploaded the ride to Strava? :lol: Guy Martin is a bit of a nutter but in a good way.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have seen other programmes by Guy Martin and think he is an excellent eccentric and pleasingly un PC. I enjoyed the record attempt programme, but have one question. The speed recorded was a maximum, now I thought that the record speed had to be the average maintained over a distance, admittedly a short distance. Have rules changed now that GPS means a peak can be more easily measured, or am I just plain wrong?
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

I thought it an excellent hour of TV entertainment. :D

I was surprised how conventional the frame geometry appeared-No super long wheelbase or noticeably shallow head angles!
Attachments
Martin1s bike (Small).JPG
RJS

Post by RJS »

Yeh, he's always entertaining :shock: On sand :o it looked like the wheels were sinking before he set off :shock: I think he averaged over 100mph for over a mile, not bad on sand, like tatanab says, might not be an official British record.
Looking forward to next week, M/cycle record on water :shock:
Cheers, Rob.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Anyone else think he looks like Wolverine?
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

Neilo wrote:Anyone else think he looks like Wolverine?

Yes, and Dave Prowse (the Green Cross Code Man)
Dave W

112 mph on a bicycle

Post by Dave W »

Did anyone see that last night? Can't help wondering what a pro cyclist could achieve on tarmac rather than sand.

Takes some guts to try that mind :shock:
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Claireysmurf wrote:
Neilo wrote:Anyone else think he looks like Wolverine?

Yes, and Dave Prowse (the Green Cross Code Man)

Well spotted!
Claireysmurf

Re: 112 mph on a bicycle

Post by Claireysmurf »

I think in the programme it mentioned that Pendine beach was the only place long enough to try for the record. Wonder if a banked circuit like the one at Millbrook testing ground would have been better?
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Claireysmurf wrote:I think in the programme it mentioned that Pendine beach was the only place long enough to try for the record. Wonder if a banked circuit like the one at Millbrook testing ground would have been better?

Is it continuously banked? Otherwise I think the transitions might have been a bit tricky!

Failing that, there's Herne Hill Velodrome*, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a lorry on the track!

*Other velodromes are available
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Was a top program! Amazing what they did with what was realistically very little tech!

Get some big money sponsors on board, some high tech aero developments, bring Mark Cavendish to ride (I'm sure he'd like to take that "fastest man on a bicycle" title off Guy) and close a long straight stretch of smooth motorway. That record would be an easy 120+mph smash? The biggest down point being the fact it's so damn dangerous! Which is why Guy Martin was the perfect candidate! Haha!
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I think Millbrook is a two mile oval. Here is a video showing cars on it. Skip to about 2m55s if you want to avoid the car stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qWOwmypeA