Connecting Garmin products to an iPad? Can it be done?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Godlykepower

Connecting Garmin products to an iPad? Can it be done?

Post by Godlykepower »

My laptop died over a year ago and I only use an iPad now....I was always going to replace the laptop, but the iPad does everything I need just fine, so I haven't bothered.

I fancy getting myself a Garmin of some description for my bike, but will only do so if it is feasible to connect the device and manage it through my iPad.

I'm probably going for an Edge device of some sort, but I don't want any advice on that, I only want to know if managing said device can be done via iPad, and what connection will allow me to do so?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
alpgirl

Re: Connecting Garmin products to an iPad? Can it be done?

Post by alpgirl »

We have just received an Edge Touring, which we will use with a laptop, but would also be interested in any responses, as we also use an iPad. Unfortunately, the Touring doesn't have Bluetooth, so we can't go down that route, but you might be able to with some of the dearer models, which do have Bluetooth.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I've seen that there is a "camera connection" kit, which appears to allow USB connection via the normal connection point where you would normally plug the iPad in for charging.

I want to know if Garmin products work via this method of connection and/or there are other issues with device management via an iPad.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 16892 times
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
RickH

Post by RickH »

With the Edge 810 you may just be in luck as it has Bluetooth connectivity and there is a Garmin Connect Mobile app available on iTunes. It looks like it will let you transfer data both ways between the two. Whether it will do all, or anything, that you want I have no idea (I'm an Android, & PC, sort of a guy with an "ancient" Edge 605) but those are the avenues I would suggest you explore.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

Bluetooth is not something I am interested in, I want hardwire capability. I'm sure Bluetooth is okay for short periods of connectivity or small amount of data transfer, but if wouldn't want it for updating maps, downloading/uploading routes etc.

Either way, the Edge 810 is not a model I want, I quite fancy an Edge Touring.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Godlykepower wrote:Bluetooth is not something I am interested in...
...Either way, the Edge 810 is not a model I want, I quite fancy an Edge Touring.

You're probably out of luck then. Possibly with any GPS unit.

You'd probably do better looking at something to run on the iPad with a supplementary power source (battery pack &/or dynamo). Android has USB to go but I don't know how useful that would be with a Garmin (although could be used to read/write to an SD card). I'm not aware of anything similar for Apple.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

It can be done, according to this web site

The Apple CCK isn't an option, it only allows photos and movies to be downloaded.

It should also be pointed out that using the Apple Camera Connection Kit doesn’t allow you to either utilize the USB port, nor to read the workout data from MicroSD cards from the Edge 705/800/810’s. Yup, I tried.

However, the Wahoo Fitness ANT+ adaptor could work, depending on your Garmin device.

The iPad (and iPhone/iPod) downloads are purely limited to the devices that would normally transfer via the ANT Agent on your computer. This includes the Garmin FR60/FR70/FR310XT/FR610/FR910XT. Note that unfortunately, getting workouts off of the USB-transfer devices like your Garmin Edge or Forerunner 10/110/210/Fenix isn’t possible. The reasons for this primarily sit on the Apple side, which doesn’t allow you to enumerate up those USB devices.

To get items off your Garmin you’ll need the Wahoo Fitness ANT+ adapter, which is a 30-pin connector for any of the previous generation iPads or iPhones. My understanding from Wahoo is it does work just fine with the Lightening Adapter (making one gigantic adapter).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not via uSB, the iPaf is deliberately crippled in that regard. BT would be fine, IFF the iPad software handles it all.

IIRC the Mio series have a WiFi connection of their own, so don't need a pC/tablet at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'd love an iPad, but the lack of USB precludes me buying one. :evil:
Next Mac to buy will be an 11" MacBook Air. Just waiting for this MacBook to kick its legs in the air, it's already had a new battery, two new power adaptors, and a new HD.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-air
Mick F. Cornwall
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Godlykepower wrote:Bluetooth is not something I am interested in, I want hardwire capability. I'm sure Bluetooth is okay for short periods of connectivity or small amount of data transfer, but if wouldn't want it for updating maps, downloading/uploading routes etc.

Either way, the Edge 810 is not a model I want, I quite fancy an Edge Touring.

Bluetooth is your only direct option with an iPad I'm afraid. The "USB" connector is not a conventional USB connector and there is no accessible file structure on an iPad to download to. You could intermediate with a Raspberry Pi if you wanted a cheap solution and you can find tutorials on the interwebby on how to run a Pi from an iPad.

The Edge Touring is basically the same device as the Edge 810 but with different firmware loaded onto it.
sjs

Post by sjs »

There are SD card drives with their own wifi network, which could solve the problem of getting data into and out of a garmin device from an ipad. Probably the Airstash (http://www.airstash.com) is the best known, but there are others. Small enough to carry around, but a bit of a faff.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My 705 had a neat little drawer to hold the MicoSD card and providing you didn't lose the little cover, it was easy and convenient.

My present Montana has to have the battery(ies) removed then the MicroSD card is accessed via a very fiddly little clip affair similar to a SIM card in a mobile phone. Although it comes in and out ok, it is definitely a faff, and the clip is prone to damage. I wouldn't like to use it on a daily basis and expect it to live for long.

The 705 on the other hand, is simple, reliable, and robust in that department.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Seems to be plenty of Garmin support on Android.http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... in+connect

Android has a proper file structure too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sjs

Post by sjs »

al_yrpal wrote:Seems to be plenty of Garmin support on Android.http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... in+connect

Al

I seem to remember someone saying that recent garmins work out of the box in mass storage mode on android devices supporting usb OTG (which is not all of them).
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

There's one solution here:

http://aushiker.com/ipad/

A variant on this would be to use an Airstash. (Edit - just spotted sjs's post).

Another alternative is to use a Huawei E585 Mifi router and the iCab Mobile web browser. With the iCab browser you can read and write gpx (or whatever) files to a microSD card using the router's web interface - and then pop the card into the device. This takes longer to describe than to do (honest).

The Huawei web interface isn't desperately slick but it does the job - no need to jailbreak your device. The big plus is that you can use also the Mifi router to access the internet. If you already have a 3G-enabled iPad or tablet then that's not going to be much of a plus, but if not then it's worth considering going for a wifi-only version plus a mifi router. (OK so you lose out on having the gps on your wifi which may be important to you). There are more expensive and allegedly faster versions of the Huawei device.

Before anyone says anything, yes I know this is a bit of faff, and personally I'd rather carry the extra weight of a laptop - but it's definitely do-able.

This certainly works with gpx files - I've not tried photo-editing on an iOS device.

sjs wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Seems to be plenty of Garmin support on Android.http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... in+connect

Al

I seem to remember someone saying that recent garmins work out of the box in mass storage mode on android devices supporting usb OTG (which is not all of them).

The simplest solution is to get a tablet with an SD card slot. That's the good news - the bad news is that IME most of the apps available for Android are aimed at people who want to use their Android device as a gps - to either follow a route or record a track. You could download a route that you had prepared earlier from (say) Strava - but route planning is very difficult. I've yet to see an Android app that's as good at iPlanMyRoute on iOS (although for route planning in the UK cycleStreets is definitely useable on a tablet).

I have succeeded in planning a route on my 7inch hudl using this site:

http://www.bike-and-hike-route.com