112 mph on a bicycle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Re: 112 mph on a bicycle

Post by Si »

mrjemm wrote:
Si wrote:Oh, and I forgot No 6 in my list: If, before the program, you'd asked what make of bike would Guy Martin ride then I'd have gone for Orange straight off :lol:

Don't get it (him Lincs, no?), but gotta say good brand (my current ride a p7)!

I say it because Orange used to pride themselves on good old fashioned British belt'n'braces engineering....which is much in keeping with GM's persona. Yep, I know that there are a lot of traditional frame builders that are of a similar ilk, but the image that I get of GM is being more top the MTBing side of things to start with. My second choice might have been PACE but they didn't do roadies AFAIK (and please don't tell me that they do as I can't afford one).
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Si wrote:I say it because Orange used to pride themselves on good old fashioned British belt'n'braces engineering....which is much in keeping with GM's persona. Yep, I know that there are a lot of traditional frame builders that are of a similar ilk, but the image that I get of GM is being more top the MTBing side of things to start with. My second choice might have been PACE but they didn't do roadies AFAIK (and please don't tell me that they do as I can't afford one).

I think you may be telepathic . . . .

(sorry for large image!)
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

By coincidence(Honest)whilst out today,i came across this(New)sign-
Attachments
River day 015 (Small).jpg
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm not sure that's the same thing as a Commonwealth record. The point is surely that the Empire/Commonwealth stood by the UK in its time(s) of need, and sent troops. The consequent sacrifice is recognised by marking the graves as Commonwealth ones.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Claireysmurf wrote:I think Millbrook is a two mile oval. Here is a video showing cars on it. Skip to about 2m55s if you want to avoid the car stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qWOwmypeA

The Millbrook banked circuit is a circle. I've driven on it. Each lane has a speed painted on it which is a guide to how fast you can go without having to fight the steering wheel. IIRC the outer most lane is marked at something like 100 or 110 mph.

Google Millbrook, Bedfordshire and in satellite view you can see it clearly, plus all the other tracks. Their Alpine circuit is the most fun - apart from the cross-country tracks!
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

BeeKeeper wrote:
Claireysmurf wrote:I think Millbrook is a two mile oval. Here is a video showing cars on it. Skip to about 2m55s if you want to avoid the car stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qWOwmypeA

The Millbrook banked circuit is a circle. I've driven on it. Each lane has a speed painted on it which is a guide to how fast you can go without having to fight the steering wheel. IIRC the outer most lane is marked at something like 100 or 110 mph.

Google Millbrook, Bedfordshire and in satellite view you can see it clearly, plus all the other tracks. Their Alpine circuit is the most fun - apart from the cross-country tracks!

From the Millbrook website "3.2km (2 mile) circumference banked high speed circle allowing neutral steer operation at 160kph (100mph) and used regularly up to 240kph (150mph)"
I have seen plenty of Millbrook on motoring programmes, in magazines etc. I'm a bigger car nerd than a cycling one. :D
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

My memory not so bad after all, the top lane must be marked at 100mph which is the speed you can drive in that lane and take your hands off the wheel. I was only brave enough to try it slower on the lower lanes. You can go faster of course but you then need to hang onto the wheel.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Si wrote:I say it because Orange used to pride themselves on good old fashioned British belt'n'braces engineering....which is much in keeping with GM's persona. Yep, I know that there are a lot of traditional frame builders that are of a similar ilk, but the image that I get of GM is being more top the MTBing side of things to start with

Digressing somewhat, I used to visit one of the first shops to stock Orange, as the owner used to wind-surf with Lester Noble (founder of Orange), that was 'Stif', when it was in the back streets of Headingly

Si wrote:My second choice might have been PACE but they didn't do roadies AFAIK (and please don't tell me that they do as I can't afford one).

I'm sure Adrian & Duncan built a couple of prototype road-bikes??
They also built full-suspension downhill bikes way in advance of any being available easily in this country, plus a trials-bike
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Si wrote:
mrjemm wrote:
Si wrote:Oh, and I forgot No 6 in my list: If, before the program, you'd asked what make of bike would Guy Martin ride then I'd have gone for Orange straight off :lol:

Don't get it (him Lincs, no?), but gotta say good brand (my current ride a p7)!

I say it because Orange used to pride themselves on good old fashioned British belt'n'braces engineering....which is much in keeping with GM's persona. Yep, I know that there are a lot of traditional frame builders that are of a similar ilk, but the image that I get of GM is being more top the MTBing side of things to start with. My second choice might have been PACE but they didn't do roadies AFAIK (and please don't tell me that they do as I can't afford one).

You don't think this other well known (well, in some parts of our pedally world) name from Lincoln may be up his street?

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/

I can just see Mr Martin going to learn how to build a frame, and then making his own... As part of the challenge. But then I think he made a fair few of Orange's own early frames anyway, no?

p.s. Can't see the image in cjchambers' response.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I thought this was the best programme of the year for me. Regarding Guy's fitness, I know people that have met him riding in Hamsterley forest, and he is very fit, and has top handling skills.
I'd like to know what the wheel size is on the record bike. It's hard to tell from the pictures, and I've tried looking for markings on the tyres to no avail. I would presume it's a '29er'. However, if turns out to be a 650b, or even a 26 inch wheel, it sort of scuppers bike manufacturers' waffle about wheel sizes.
For anyone interested, have a look on Youtube for Guy's 'spatchcock' interview - very funny.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Wanted to see 'Mave' involved somewhere along the lines
If only because of his reaction to Guys (self-preserved) Baked Beans in the 'The Boat That Guy Built'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJj0UhujQJI
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/