Floor pump with threaded coupling

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vladimir

Floor pump with threaded coupling

Post by Vladimir »

Hi all,

My new bike has arrived and I wanted to pump the tyres up to pressure.

My (rather ageing) floor pump fails to inflate the tyres, and I think it's due to the short length of protruding valve.

This is confirmed by the fact that my pocket pump, which has a threaded coupling does inflate the tyre just fine, but it takes ages and I'm not certain I can get 100 psi out of it.

So, is there a floor pump with a threaded coupling and a pressure gauge? I haven't been able to find one, they all seem to have a similar head which is a sort of a press fitting (hopefully that makes sense)

Thanks

Vlad
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Floor pump with threaded coupling

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Alternatively fit longer valve tubes; they are becoming common place and most stores will now stock them

Paul Smith
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Alternatively fit longer valve tubes; they are becoming common place and most stores will now stock them

Paul Smith

That's the plan in the longer term, but I would have thought that planet x would have fitted inner tubes with sufficiently long valve bodies.

At the moment the amount of valve sticking out is 20mm (to the very tip). Is that really too short? I wonder if a new pump would do the trick?
Paul Smith SRCC

Vladimir wrote:
Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Alternatively fit longer valve tubes; they are becoming common place and most stores will now stock them

Paul Smith

That's the plan in the longer term, but I would have thought that planet x would have fitted inner tubes with sufficiently long valve bodies.

At the moment the amount of valve sticking out is 20mm (to the very tip). Is that really too short? I wonder if a new pump would do the trick?

Well either the pump rubber is worn and it can't grip the valve or the valve is too short; 20mm total exposed valve isn't that long though. Two new tubes are cheaper than a new pump.....

Paul Smith.
Member of the Pedal Club
forlorn hope

Post by forlorn hope »

Have a look at the Lezyne floor pumps.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Paul Smith

^ yup, much cheaper than a new pump.

Or.... buy a presta valve adaptor (that screws onto a presta valve) and then use a schrader pump on that.

You've got very deep section rims there, haven't you....? I'd get shot of them whilst they are still brand new if I were you....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The Lezyne ones have threaded couplings. However, they are better suited to use with valves which do not have threaded valve cores because the valve core can sometimes unscrew when you unscrew the pump head.

But it might be just as well to buy new inner tubes with longer valves, or fit valve extenders. I am assuming we are talking Presta valves.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Lezyne doesn't unscrew my valve cores because I've tightened my valve core properly.
7BA spanner is ok.

I have a Topeak Twin Head valve fitting for a track pump, and even though I've fitted new rubbers at £5odd for the set, the thing still blows right off at circa 125psi.

The Lezeyne screw-on is perfect. There's a little button on the thing that releases the pressure from the hose to make it easier to unscrew.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Brucey wrote:^ yup, much cheaper than a new pump.
Or.... buy a presta valve adaptor (that screws onto a presta valve) and then use a schrader pump on that.
You've got very deep section rims there, haven't you....? I'd get shot of them whilst they are still brand new if I were you....
cheers

I heard something about a picture being worth a thousand words, so here goes:

front:
front.jpg
front.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 3140 times

back:
back.jpg
back.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 3140 times

Long story short, they sent me a different bike in the end, which doesnt have the 40mm (or is it 50mm) rims of the original one. I would prefer the look of some standard rims, a la Rigida Sputnik, but I have no issues with wearing these out first.

Regarding getting a new pump, I returned something to Argos this afternoon, they gave me fake argos money in return, and I used some of that to purchase a new pump. I have used it on the valves as pictured above and wouldn't you know it, it worked just fine.

Overall I am rather impressed with the new pump. It's a "Beto Alloy Track Bike Pump with Gauge"
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Brucey wrote:Or.... buy a presta valve adaptor (that screws onto a presta valve) and then use a schrader pump on that.

I have briefly considered this when I was in argos earlier, and saw an electric car pump, made to fit schraeder valves, but then I thought better of it, seems unnecessarily decadent to have an electric pump for a bicycle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have an electric pump for the car that plugs into the ciggy lighter - has a Shrader connection only.

I could fit a Presta adaptor to it, but I doubt it could cope with 125psi.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Quick related question - I'm reading on here (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDCPR ... lding-tyre) that the tyres on the bike should be inflated to 70psi max

Is that really true for 32mm tyre with a 120tpi casing?
Paul Smith SRCC

Vladimir wrote:Quick related question - I'm reading on here (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDCPR ... lding-tyre) that the tyres on the bike should be inflated to 70psi max

Is that really true for 32mm tyre with a 120tpi casing?

Normally the tyre pressure ranges will be listed somewhere on the actual tyre, maybe hard to see at a glance but normally stated somewhere.

Paul Smith
Member of the Pedal Club
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just spend a quid on the adaptors that let you use a Schraeder pump fitting (car type) on a Presta valve. That will give you enough length. I do that as finding tubes with long valves, in the size I need, a pain. I keep the short ones in the bike so that they only get used with a track pump and the adaptor.
I am assuming that your track/floor pump copes with both valve types.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stan ... tAod_H8AoQ
That's an expensive one.