Antarctic challenge... White Ice Cycle

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geriatrix

Re: Antarctic challenge... White Ice Cycle

Post by Geriatrix »

She'd done!!!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geriatrix wrote:She'd done!!!

Amazing. Pedalled all the way!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

There might have been a metre or two of freewheeling too :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Redvee wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

There might have been a metre or two of freewheeling too :roll:

Not alot. the freewheel on one of the guys bike failed, and he's having issues setting off, but there is so little freewheeling to be done in that environment ...

Wonder if she had a cadence sensor?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

The properties of the trike allowed her to take a route denied to her competitors.
http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-blog/south-pole-by-trike
The trike must have far exceeded their expectations if you consider that they wanted to finish by Jan 7.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
ferrit worrier

South Pole cycle

Post by ferrit worrier »

how long before someone does an End to End, North to south poles?

Great achievement
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25526541
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Geriatrix

Re: South Pole cycle

Post by Geriatrix »

On the 28th Maria posted the following tweet:
Maria Leijerstam wrote:After 2 days at the SP, now heading north. 1200k over ice journey- expedition by no means complete!

From that I assume that the North pole was not the only objective. She is heading out on the route that the other cyclists are still cycling in on. You may not have long to wait for your end-to-end (unless of course the balance of the journey is not by trike).
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

[XAP]Bob wrote:She could have - these explorer types do take serious risks (we'll see on Jan 20th)

Cap'n Bob, Jan 20th is almost here — what's due to happen on that auspicious day?

Does anyone know if the ITV programme has been scheduled yet?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Due on ITVwales I think.

But I know the answer anyway... She relinquished the "unsupported" bit...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Redvee

Post by Redvee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:ITV Wales, 10:35 on the 21st

https://twitter.com/WhiteIceCycle/statu ... 5774022656

I can get ITV Wales on ITV+1, not ITVWestCountry which in this case I don't mind. Just have to remember to watch it.
notme2

Post by notme2 »

You would think that it would deserve more of a bigger showing as our sporting achievements in the southern hemisphere have gone a little astray so far this winter.
It has only been mentioned on welsh based itv and bbc so far and that is bad as we are supposed to be a united kingdom.
Even the newspapers had it as an inside story and only about 3 inches of column space.
What do we have to do these days to get noticed.
Hopefully i will find a torrent around somewhere so i can watch it later.
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Due on ITVwales I think.

But I know the answer anyway... She relinquished the "unsupported" bit...

ITV Wales, 10:35 on the 21st

https://twitter.com/WhiteIceCycle/statu ... 5774022656

Thanks for the info, Cap'n.

So, ITV Wales is showing it after the "watershed", presumably so the youngsters won't be frightened by that scary "bike".

I imagine the recumbenters around the country will be trying out ITV Player in the days that follow.

Anyway, your answer, Cap'n Bob, sparks off a new question: 'She relinquished the "unsupported" bit...'. So, it's no longer classed as an "unsupported cycle to the south pole"? Someone else will claim the honour of being the first person to cycle, unsupported, to the south pole?

If her original intention had been to cycle, unsupported, she wouldn't have given that up lightly, so something must have happened. Do you know what? (And, if no one had been there to provide support when "unsupported" became untenable, what then?)

Answers in a TV programme on ITV All Countries, please!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't know what the "cut off" times she was missing were (food maybe?) But she'd have had some hard decisions to make if she didn't have any local options.

And yes - someone else will claim the "unsupported" title - but she still claims the first "cycled" title.
notme2

Post by notme2 »

another little tidbit in advance of this evenings tv programe

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2014-01-2 ... outh-pole/