Chain tool with 'pin stop'

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hazeyblue

Re: Chain tool with 'pin stop'

Post by hazeyblue »

The chain tool on that Crank multi tool is brilliant - I used it to mend three (other riders) chains during a coast to coast ride last May - one 8 speed, two 9 speeds. I carry spare pins for myself, but I've found it great for old school roadside chain repairs.

In the shed, I keep a Bike Hand chain tool - it has an adjustable limiter.
CJ

Post by CJ »

CREPELLO wrote:On the road with a quick link that needs undoing there's a trick that CJ has described before now. Mount the quick link section of chain on the outer chain ring to form an inverted V shape with the adjacent link. This puts some slack in the QL and exposes the end of the QL. You then find a handy stone of sufficient proportion and apply a strike to the edge of the QL outer plate only, ensuring that it forces the plate(s) to slide open. Hit the wrong side or direction will result in frustration.

Here's a picture...
Opening a quick-link by standing it up and giving one corner a sharp tap with something (in this case the back of a 6in mini-Vise-Grip).
Opening a quick-link by standing it up and giving one corner a sharp tap with something (in this case the back of a 6in mini-Vise-Grip).
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

By sheer coincidence I posted a link in another thread from your Cycle Q&A on the subject a mere one minute before you posted this :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nice clean chain CJ. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

On the road with a quick link that needs undoing there's a trick that CJ has described before now. Mount the quick link section of chain on the outer chain ring to form an inverted V shape with the adjacent link. This puts some slack in the QL and exposes the end of the QL. You then find a handy stone of sufficient proportion and apply a strike to the edge of the QL outer plate only, ensuring that it forces the plate(s) to slide open. Hit the wrong side or direction will result in frustration.
+1 i've used this method. Instead of a stone I hit it with a multitool, not pretty but it worked BTW this trick appeared in Cycle magazine a couple of years ago.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

There are some chain breakers that use a circlip over the thread to stop you pushing the pin too far, unfortunately, I can't remember who makes them, sorry.
Linux since 1999
GregLR

Post by GregLR »

Dynamite_funk wrote: a chain tool...which had a handy stopper which prevented you from pushing the pin too far out of the chain link.

Back in the 90s the Park Mini Chain Brute had the feature you are seeking but unfortunately the latest model does not have the raised section to prevent the pin being pushed all the way through & off the side plate. After seeing your question I just checked a new one bought couple of months ago and was very surprised to find that it doesn't have this very useful feature.

Then I checked the relevant page on the Park website and found that it says this: "The current CT-5 is designed to push the chain rivet from the chain side plates. If you do not want to push the rivet out, turn the handle only 5 complete turns with 9 and 10 speed chains." (see http://www.parktool.com/product/mini-ch ... -tool-ct-5 )

Greg